Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 323

MikeZhao

Head-Fier
I recently picked up the Sony MDR-Z7M2 but I was curious what other closed-back headphones in a similar price range people were high on. Just curious more than anything...

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 323
ZMF Ori

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 323
Even though Denon AH-D5000 are no longer in production they where originally in the same price range as Sony's MDR Z7M2 so hopefully I can get away with mentioning them. I doubt I will ever like another headphone more than the Denon AH-D5000. There is a certain Sony headphone that i've had for a couple of months now that is slowly creeping it's way up the list of my favourite headphones i've ever owned though..
Sony will always be my favourite electronics company. Everything they make is just top quality, no matter the price.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 323
Even though Denon AH-D5000 are no longer in production they where originally in the same price range as Sony's MDR Z7M2 so hopefully I can get away with mentioning them. I doubt I will ever like another headphone more than the Denon AH-D5000. There is a certain Sony headphone that i've had for a couple of months now that is slowly creeping it's way up the list of my favourite headphones i've ever owned though..
Sony will always be my favourite electronics company. Everything they make is just top quality, no matter the price.
Agree with you there on the d5000

Feb 25, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 323

Indeed. The AH-D5000 has since been dethroned..something I thought would never, ever happen. We all have our favourites and for me the AH-D5000 held the title of "favourite closed-back headphone i've ever heard" for over 10 years. Now a cheap Sony studio headphone has taken the AH-D5000's place - the MDR7510. The MDR7510 has redefined my perception of what neutral is in a headphone; There's just nothing it does wrong, in my opinion. It has the right amount of treble - lot's of detail and clarity, sharp, precise and extremely accurate, but not excessively so. Not to the point that I would consider it too bright or piercing. The midrange is detailed, watery and smooth. Not veiled at all. And the bass is perfect; mid-bass is accurate, not over emphasized or flabby, it's in line with the rest of the frequency spectrum, as is the sub-bass; powerful and deep, but only really shows when a recording has sub-bass. The layers of detail in the bass/sub-bass of the MDR7510 is particularly impressive. For this reason, acoustic music sounds very good through it. I consider my AKG K702 to be more natural sounding overall and the MDR7510 more technical, but yeah the MDR7510 do sound so natural and addictive for listening to acoustic music. Definitely my favourite closed back headphone i've ever heard. And I got the MDR7510 at such an amazing price.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 323
I haven't had many closed-back headphones recently in this hobby. However, I'm enjoying the Focal Elegia now that is has had a good break-in period for the drivers. Though, I've also owned a bit of a "sleeper" in a closed back headphone that I bought a few years ago, used them a few times and happened to finally unpack them after moving into my place nearly 2.5 years ago. It's a pair of headphones that tends to get pretty beat up in the reviews because the construction makes for some issues with the ear cup swivels if you handle them too aggressively. That pair is the Sound Magic HP-150. I believe I only paid about $125 for them. I use them as my sleeping headphones with the Fiio X5. However, when I plug them up into the Massdrop LCX/SDAC, I can't believe the performance for the cost. The HP-150 has been replaced by the HP-151, which appears a bit more durable, but no change was made to the sound.

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 323
I've only owned a few even worth mentioning but for the ones I've heard I'd prob have to say a pair of denon the model which I can't remember. Glossy shiny mahogany looks... Closely followed by dt770 tied with shure shr840. The the Roland rh200. Then Sony mdr xd400.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 323
ATH M-70x. Most comfortable cans I’ve ever used. Hardly feel them on my head. Miles ahead of M50x and even better than MSR7. Very wide soundstage for closed cans and great resolution. Sometimes I want more bass but for $300 they are pretty great.

Getting a DFR soon and they will probably sound perfect. Bass is more than adequate plugged into my Clarett.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back