Your favorite Smallish Full Range - Larger Bookshelf speakers?
Apr 12, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #31 of 41
..but I think you'll do best by going with a bookshelf than a floorstander, and then, as funds permit, buy a sub to fill out the bottom end.

In that price range, I like the Paradigm 40's as well. I'd also consider the 20's.. that's dang fine speaker, and with the $$ saved, you can buy your sub sooner.
icon10.gif

BTW, the two subs that get the most lip service on the web are SVS and Hsu. Both are supposed to be very powerful and musical.

As an alternative, noone has mentioned Mackies. Ugly as sin, but the Mackie 824 is an active bi-amped monitor that has a REDICKULOUSLY (sic) flat response down to REALLY low levels and can be had for ~$650/each. Jumps put of your price range, but in the price range, it CAN'T be beat.

JCD

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #32 of 41
Agree with Sleestack on the Merlins - fantastic speaker. I have the TSM-MXs. They do need top notch partnering equipment though. For the record, Merlin TSMs do not use the Dynaudio drivers - they use Morel.

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 41
Apr 13, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
Agree with Sleestack on the Merlins - fantastic speaker. I have the TSM-MXs. They do need top notch partnering equipment though. For the record, Merlin TSMs do not use the Dynaudio drivers - they use Morel.

You are right. I thought the tweeter on the Merlin was a smaller Dynaudio Esotar, but apparently not. The Andra uses 2 12" Dynaudio drivers for the woofers, 2 6" Morel 166 midrange drivers and a Dynaudio Esotar tweeter. In any case, the TSM-MXs were superb. Perfect monitors. They sounded best with my EAR V20. The Andra IIs have the precison of the Merlins, more air in the highs, the same transparency through the mids, but the added dimension of controlled bass and low end extension. I coudn't imagine wanting more out of a dynamic speaker.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #35 of 41
Ok,besides the Mackies that were mentioned, there really arent any bookshelf speakers that have enough bass,at least not the type you want,so...

How about Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 ?

They sound awesome,and theyre really small(but dont sound small).
And you can drive the second coil on the woofer and use it like a sub.
Great imaging also. Thats the speakers i want. They beat out some $4000 pair of B&W towers i heard,by a long shot! (imo)

I think Todd the vinyl junkie has them on his site,so go take a look.
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
I must be about the only person around that hates the Merlin TSM. Dry, analytical, boring, and lacking in bass weight & dynamics. Reminds me too much of the Grado HP-1000 series, but at least the HP-1000 has bass dynamics. Yes the TSM is pretty clean & smooth, but to me it sounds lean and dead unless cranked to the 80-90dB range, much louder than I'd ever listen. Might be because they use Dynaudio drivers, and I've hated every Dynaudio speaker I've heard other than the Special 25.

Merlins are very good at reflecting sound signatures of the components connected to them. I'm just curious, what was the configuration of the Merlin system you heard?

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Merlins are very good at reflecting sound signatures of the components connected to them. I'm just curious, what was the configuration of the Merlin system you heard?

Shanling T-200 & T-300 CD player, Audio Array 2.1 tube integrated/power amplifier, Acoustic Zen cables. On other speakers it's a warm rich setup with excellent dynamics, on the TSM it sounded like crap. Also tried a Krell they had on a trade-in and it still never woke up, actually sounded worse, even more cold & dead. I swear this thing is made for people who enjoy studio monitors.

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #38 of 41
out of interest, how many hours did you have on the speakers and were you using the Zobel networks?

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #39 of 41
Wow is that ever intriguing for the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Since you haven't explicitly said no DIY, I'll toss in a recommendation for my current speakers.

The Adire Audio HE 10.1 are a two-way, high effiency speaker(about 95.5 db/w/m). They are technically bookshelf but they pretty much are about the biggest thing you'd want on stands.

HE10-1InOak_small.jpg

They've got a nice lively sound with lots of dynamics and slam(got 'em paired with an Adire Audio Tempest sub). Very engaging sound but may be a bit aggressive for some people, especcially when used near-field and on SS gear like me. I've heard they respond well to tubes, and because of the high-efficiency they aren't hard to drive. They have a very "big" sound and generate a convincing soundstage.

I believe there is a pre-assembled version available or you can build your own for less than $500.

More info

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
out of interest, how many hours did you have on the speakers and were you using the Zobel networks?

There weren't my speakers, the were the store's from a trade-in. I was told they were about 18 months old and had lots of hours on them. Tried them both with & without the Zobel network, with was slightly better & balanced the highs a bit more, but I still hated the sound and my precious comments apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back