Your favorite Smallish Full Range - Larger Bookshelf speakers?
Apr 3, 2006 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
Alright... this is now what I'm looking for:

What I have:
2 Channel... I run a Luxman D110 integrated amp w/ the tube pre loading - 2 channel x 70 w RMS

NAD 542 CDP

Kimber silver streak interconnects

12 guage Kimber generic speaker wire... might buy something better...

K now whether the speaker is bi-wireable really is not a concern, and I haven't heard a diserning difference

Speakers I have had in mind:

Paradigm Studio 40's... good but not great in my books... not enough low end range

Axiom Audio M60's... haven't heard but reviews look good

Qual Q11... I will be listening shortly

Totem Accoustics... Rainmakers/Arro/Sttaf...
Rainmakers being a $900 bookshelf has impressive imaging, but is definately anemic in the low range
Arro's are very impressive for the size, are just phenominal for jazz/classical and their imaging is excellent...
Sttaf... does everything the Arro's do but with more viseral impact, forwardness and more high range details

B&W 805's... Listened to my friends, and they are just awesome, but anything under 110hrtz... just doesn't work... doesn't have as much impact as the Totem Signature Model 1's
but the midrange & high range are some of the most linear I've ever heard

Any suggestions?

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 41
this probably belongs in the cables, etc. forum... but have you thought about stretching for a pair of Studio 60s? more low end than the 40s, and no more expensive than the 40s + a good pair of stands.

also might want to check out the Rega R3 or R5, both floorstanders.

also, Revel's new entry level line (Concerta) has a really nice sounding pair of monitors... the M12 for $650US.

Apr 3, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 41
Why does it have to be bookshelf? By the time you get a bookshelf that has great low end impact and dynamics, you should just spring for a floorstander.

BTW: Skip the Axioms, they have nothing against the Paradigm/BMW's/Totems you've heard. Never understood why people tout them so much.

I like the Energy Veritas 2.2i, but it might not have enough bottom end in comparison to what you've heard.

One of my favorite bookshelf speakers is the Reference 3A MM. http://www.reference3a.com/mmdecapo.htm The quality of bass is amazing for a bookshelf speaker.

Apr 3, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 41
Since you haven't listed a price range, I'll go ahead and throw in the Living Voice Avatar. Rather small floorstander, doesn't take up any more space than a bookshelf on a stand. This will smoke the B&W 805 in a way that's not even funny. Much faster & more detailed, and still has a non-fatiguing sound that you can listen to all day. Best under $10,000 speaker I've heard to date, the Avatar OBX-R is better by all accounts but I haven't heard it yet. If you're in the Toronto area, Audio Gallery at 1903 Avenue Road has a pair hooked up. Even in their crappy room it still sounds damn good.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 41
Since you haven't explicitly said no DIY, I'll toss in a recommendation for my current speakers.

The Adire Audio HE 10.1 are a two-way, high effiency speaker(about 95.5 db/w/m). They are technically bookshelf but they pretty much are about the biggest thing you'd want on stands.

HE10-1InOak_small.jpg

They've got a nice lively sound with lots of dynamics and slam(got 'em paired with an Adire Audio Tempest sub). Very engaging sound but may be a bit aggressive for some people, especcially when used near-field and on SS gear like me. I've heard they respond well to tubes, and because of the high-efficiency they aren't hard to drive. They have a very "big" sound and generate a convincing soundstage.

I believe there is a pre-assembled version available or you can build your own for less than $500.

More info

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 41
what about boston acoustics bookshelfs?

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 41
you know there IS a speaker section guys and this is like a lot of speaker threads for the member lounge area

anyway.

I like the Tannoy ML10.not exactly tiny being a ten inch full ranger but being a near field monitor is considered "small"

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
this probably belongs in the cables, etc. forum... but have you thought about stretching for a pair of Studio 60s? more low end than the 40s, and no more expensive than the 40s + a good pair of stands.

I've had the 40v3's for a couple of years now, and I mostly agree with that assessment. Even though the specs for the 60 don't show there is much more LF extension, they have a warmer sound overall. The 40v3's do need a very substantial stand, and the difference is $150 in the end (at least is was in the US, from a dealer that made me a deal on speakers and an HDTV.)

The only reason I have the 40's is that I believed the guy at the shop who said that with my sub, I wouldn't notice any difference--but I prefer to listen without the x-over (Outlaw ICBM) in the signal chain. For much acoustic music, I will take the small loss of really LF info gladly in exchange for the clarity gained by bypassing the x-over and sub. I get the idea from your profile that you might prefer music with much more low end than I do, though!

OTOH, you have not described your room versus the rooms in which you demo'ed the speakers. That would have a significant impact on the amount of LF response.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 41
When I was shopping for my speakers, I obviously went with the Paradigm Studio 40 v3s, and, in my opinion they are definetly one of the best bookshelf speakers in their price range.

Bass of course, in any bookshelf this size, is not spectacular, but it is detailed and it is there. A good stand really helps a lot, I spent $150 on stands and also filled them to increase mass, makes a huge diff in bass.

A lot also depends on the room they are in, and your amp.

Compared to axioms, klipsch, B&W, totem, energy, umm, a few other brands i auditioned but didnt' go with, I found the Studio 40s to simply have the best midrange and great highs and that is what I want from a bookshelf this size. I could add a sub, but I find the bass sufficient honestly.

If you were looking at maybe $2000 price point, then there are different choices, I find Paradigm's value decrease past that point, I'm not really a fan of the 60/100s or their signature line up (for the price).

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 41
Dynaudio BM6A's. Best nearfield monitors I've heard so far. There is a passive version if you prefer to use your own amp. These will be my next audio purchase after I fix my upstream components and settle on my headphone rig.

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 41
Merlin TSM MXs are da nutz... but they do come with a full range price tag.

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 41
Spendor 3/5se or s3e, Revel M20 or newer M22 model (bass is nice on these)

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 41
I recently heard some Proac speakers hooked up to a Prima Luna integrated tube amp and a Naim CDP that blew me away. I forget which model they were, but they were selling for about $2300/pair. I'm not certain what made those little speakers so lively, but I wish somebody would put some of that in my morning cup of coffee!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back