Your favorite single
Aug 26, 2001 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
In the spirit of "Best single album if you were stuck on an island," the topic of discussion is your favorite single of all time. What single song do you think is everything a song should be? What song gets everything right? What song really blows you away even though you've heard it thousands of times?

In order to avoid the "there are so many types of music" syndrome, I've come up with the following response format. Please provide one favorite for each genre, and then choose your overall favorite from among them. Feel free to talk about why you chose each song (you can include the names of other songs you almost chose, but you're stuck with ONE best song for each category).

Note: since Classical doesn't fit with the concept of a "single" there isn't a category for Classical. Likewise, since jazz songs are usually not considered "singles" they aren't included in the form. We can always have a "jazz" and "classical" thread later, right?
wink.gif

The rules (hey, I started the thread, I get to establish the rules
wink.gif
):

1) Only ONE answer for each category. No lists, no "depending on my mood" cop-outs
wink.gif
No multiple responses to the thread. As mentioned above, you can talk about other songs you almost chose, but you must pick a "best" for each category, and an overall "best."

2) Any single song is eligible, even if it wasn't officially released as a "single" (i.e. you can pick any song off any album).

3) You don't get a separate category for soundtrack songs or live performances -- put them in the appropriate category <g>

--------ANSWER FORM BEGIN----------

Classic Rock/Pop (70s and prior):
80s Rock/Pop:
Recent Rock/Pop (90's to present):
Electronic/Electronica:
Folk:
Vocals/BigBand/Jazz Vocals:
Soul/Classic R&B:
Rap/HipHop:
Metal:
Industrial:

OVERALL FAVORITE: (please include a few words on why you chose it)

--------ANSWER FORM END----------

This should be fun
wink.gif
I always like to see what kinds of music other people like, and I've found some great music from these threads.

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 52
Classic Rock/Pop (70s and prior): igor stravinsky - firebird suite
80s Rock/Pop: talking heads - psycho killer
Recent Rock/Pop (90's to present): kyuss - demon cleaner
Electronic/Electronica: nine inch nails - head like a hole
Vocals/BigBand/Jazz Vocals:
Soul/Classic R&B: ----
Rap/HipHop: ----

and i would like too add another group or 2

heavy metal - Alchemist - garden of eroticisim
soundtrack - eric serra - the fifth element - mondoshawan
live performance recording - primus - suck on this - tommy the cat

hmmm and as most people use these threads to kind new music, i would like to recommend " trans siberia orchestra - beethovens last night" its a rock opera and its pretty damned cool

Just because i come from alonad down under doesn't we dont get good music
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 52
Hate to contradict you Braver but my pick for favourite song would be:-

On A StoryTellers Night by Magnum. Now theres a song thats got it all!

Starts of all quiet with Bob Catleys Vocals then everything suddenly kicks in and then quietens down again, and then blam it goes into over drive for the finish.

It was an absolute belter live!
very_evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 52
'Moviedrome' ain't too shabby either, or 'Solomon', or 'Fool's Gold'....love them epics
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 52
"Hey Man" by Billy Workman

Aug 26, 2001 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 52
Classic Rock/Pop (70s and prior): Led Zeppelin- Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
80s Rock/Pop: Pink Floyd- Hey You
Recent Rock/Pop (90's to present): Six Pence None The Richer- Kiss Me
Electronic/Electronica: Machines Of Loving Grace- Golgotha Tenement Blues
Vocals/BigBand/Jazz Vocals: Harry Belafonte- Day-O
Soul/Classic R&B: Janet Jackson- Runaway
Rap/HipHop: Inoj- Love You Down

Favorite: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Jimmy's acoustic guitar at the beginning of the song is mesmerizing. Janet Jackson is a close second. Why? She has an awesome voice.

Aug 26, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 52
--------ANSWER FORM BEGIN----------

Classic Rock/Pop (70s and prior): Don't really know....
80s Rock/Pop: Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd; Wish You Were Here)
Recent Rock/Pop (90's to present): Santa Monica (Everclear; Sparkle and Fade)
Electronic/Electronica: Butterfly (Talvin Singh; OK)
Vocals/BigBand/Jazz Vocals: What A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong!)
biggrin.gif

Soul/Classic R&B: too hard
biggrin.gif

Rap/HipHop: too easy (none)
biggrin.gif

OVERALL FAVORITE: (please include a few words on why you chose it)

My overall favorite would actually probably be a hindi song....lol....or it might be a Blue Man Group song.....hmm........certainly not one of the ones mentioned above...

--------ANSWER FORM END----------

Aug 26, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 52
(From my very limited musical knowledge, this is the best I could do - for now.)

Classic Rock/Pop (70s and prior): Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
80s Rock/Pop: Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection
Recent Rock/Pop (90's to present): Nirvana - Aneurysm (single?)
Electronic/Electronica: (The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up)
edit: change to Moby - Rushing
wink.gif

Folk: Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant
wink.gif

Vocals/BigBand/Jazz Vocals: Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit
Soul/Classic R&B: Temptations - (Ain't Too Proud to Beg)
edit: change to Isleys' - Its Your Thing
Rap/HipHop: Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Metal: Metallica - Blackened(single?)
Industrial: N.I.N. - Perfect Drug

misc:
punk: The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks

overall: Led Zeppelin - Houses...

Though its not my favorite Zep tune (that's In My Time of Dying),
this is their best pop tune imo. The band is so tight here, and the melody and rhythm are perfect. The bass and guitar are so chunky, I almost wan't to chew to the music (I'm wierd that way). Most of all though, Bonzo's drums are so elegantly simple, but so right. Jimmy's fret work is a treat too. Robert's vocals also complement the rhythm, and kick you out of complacency with the patented wailing right when the song gets repetitive. This is an example of a band perfectly meshing together.

Nirvana's Aneurysm is a close second. I prefer the live version on Muddy Banks...

Aug 27, 2001 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Did I make this one too hard?

Yes. And I believe what's killing it for most of us is the "no whining" clause -- almost killed it for me.

But rules were made for breaking, so here goes:

Classical: Schubert's Piano Trio No. 2, 4th Movement
Soundtrack: Fifth Element, not sure what it's called, but the Diva's Aria.
Metal: Judas Priest, "Victim of Changes"
Electronic: Tangerine Dream, "Cloudburst Flight"
"Unplugged" performance: Golden Earring, "I Can't Sleep Without You"
"Bruce Springsteen Wannabe" performance: Melissa Etheridge, "Like the Way I Do" -- from some B-side
"Bloated side-long" performance: Led Zeppelin, "Dazed and Confused"
Cover: Oingo Boingo - "You Really Got Me"
Use in a film: Peter Gabriel - "In Your Eyes" (Say Anything)

OVERALL FAVORITE: (please include a few words on why you chose it) um...um...blue, no purple (dragon eats him) Ah!

Aug 27, 2001 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 52
OK, since I started the thread, it's only fair that I participate. This is a long one...
wink.gif

Classic Rock/Pop (70s and prior): "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
"Suite Judy Blue Eyes" was a masterpiece of 60s pop and harmony. "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys was simply revolutionary (you really have to purge the "surf" label from your mind to truly appreciate it), and I am amazed every time I hear it. However, neither can compete with the sheer simplicity of "For What It's Worth." The words and music combine to create the ultimate "protest" song of the 60s. It's a shame Budweiser had to use it in a TV commercial a few years ago.

80s Rock/Pop: "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel
This was a tough category for me. I almost chose Sting's "Fragile," which is one of the most moving, genuine songs I've ever heard. I also had a very hard time not choosing "Pride" by U2, which through sheer musical adrenaline could make you go down the street and protest the color blue if the lyrics were right. But in the end I had to choose Peter Gabriel (see below).

Recent Rock/Pop (90's to present): "High & Dry" by Radiohead
Surprisingly, I actually had a hard time finding singles from the 90s that were worthy of being named among my favorites of all time. A couple others I considered were "Only Tongue Can Tell" by the Trashcan Sinatras (pure alternative pop) and "Hyperballad" by Bjork. But "High & Dry," Radiohead at its most accessible, is one of the few songs I can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it. The unusual beat, acoustic guitars, and melancholy melody make it one of the catchier songs I've heard.

Electronic/Electronica: "Porcelain" by Moby
There are lots of great electronica songs out there, many of which people have never heard. But after making my short list ("Gorecki" by Lamb, "Clubbed to Death" by Rob D, a couple songs from DreadZone and Underworld), I kept coming back to "Porcelain." Many electronica fans consider the album "Play" to be a "sellout" but I completely disagree. It's everything that is good and creative about electronic/a, while also integrating soul, blues, and many other things you'd never expect. "Porcelain" is a beautiful song that evokes moods and feelings not often associated with electronica. It also brought electronica to the masses without being forumlaic.

wink.gif

Folk: "Northern Sky" by Nick Drake
The only challenge here was *which* Nick Drake song to choose. If you've never listened to Nick Drake, please go out and get a copy of "Way To Blue." It's amazing how much incredible music he wrote before his untimely death as a very young man. Three albums, all consistently brilliant, in two years. I can only imagine what kind of music library he might have amassed had he lived longer.

Vocals/BigBand/Jazz Vocals: "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone
Bobby Darin's "Beyond The Sea" is just plain fun, and Billie Holiday's "The Very Thought of You" is one of the all-time classics, but once you've heard "Feeling Good," you just can't forget the raw beauty of Nina Simone's voice and the rolling sexuality of the backing band.

Soul/Classic R&B: "Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding
This one came down to Otis Redding and Jackie Wilson. How do you choose between Otis and Jackie?
wink.gif
I eventually chose "Tenderness" because of the sheer "soulness" of it, which is unmatched to this day.

Rap/HipHop: Pete Rock & CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You (TROY)
Public Enemy's "Fight The Power" and "Welcome To The Terrordome" take the nod for rap's version of "The Wall of Sound" and for scaring the crap out many non-rap fans. Will Smith's (actually Fresh Prince at the time) "Summertime" is the most "feel good," groovin' rap song ever. "Electric Relaxation" and "Award Tour" by A Tribe Called Quest both have grooves and rhythms that today's rap can only dream of. "The Message" was a groundbreaker. But it was "TROY" that I couldn't get enough of when I first heard it. To this day, when I put this CD on I basically listen to TROY over and over. Great beats, music, samples, style, and story. What more can a rap fan ask for?

Metal: "Photograph" by Def Leppard
Does Def Leppard count as "metal?" My metal days are long behind me, so this one is from long ago; I make no claims that it's the best metal song ever
wink.gif
Only that I listened to it so much that I can't imagine choosing anything else... I played my "Pyromania" tape so much as a kid that I literally wore it out.

Industrial: "So What" by Ministry
This was my toughest category. I grew up in and around Chicago, which, along with a few hotspots in Belgium
wink.gif
was the heart of "industrial" music in the 80s. Regular visits to the WaxTrax! record store got me lots of industrial music on 12" and LPs. My "short list" of industrial songs included multiple entries for Nitzer Ebb, Ministry (including the more "danceable" early stuff), Front 242, Thrill Kill Kult; heck, half of Nine Inch Nail's "Pretty Hate Machine" -- the album that broke "industrial" music into the mainstream -- could have been my #1 song here. I eventually chose "So What" because it was really the turning point for Ministry and, in retrospect, the entire "industrial" scene. Most industrial music before Ministry's "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" album was drum machine- and synthesizer-driven, with some guitars tossed in for an edge. There were some hard-core industrial acts, but they weren't too successful. When "Mind" was released, many long-time Ministry fans were shocked. On tour, the band consisted of two drummers and five guitarists surrounded by 15-foot metal fence. "So What" was the track on "Mind" that really transitioned Ministry from the electronics of "All Day" to the hardcore industrial-metal Ministry of today.

OVERALL FAVORITE: "IN YOUR EYES" BY PETER GABRIEL

Long before this song ever became the theme song for John Cusack in "Say Anything," I thought it was one of the most incredible songs I had ever heard. I remember borrowing a friend's cassette of "So" when I was in high school, and when I hit this song I forgot about everything else on the tape. I couldn't listen to it enough, and practically wore through the tape in the first week. It has wonderful melodies, a sweeping chorus, world-music rhythms played by some of the best musicians on the planet, and Youssou N'Dour's haunting singing in the background. So many layers of music and styles on top of each other. I've always felt that music moves you if it can replicate or instigate a mood. When you're happy, there are songs that really seem to speak to you in an upbeat or pleasant way. When you're sad, there are songs that seem to reflect that sadness. The thing about "In Your Eyes" is that its music and lyrics feel "right" regardless of your mood. There is also a phenomenal version of this song (the "Special Mix") that really emphasizes the African rhythms and vocals. A very different feel, but just as good, IMO.

Aug 27, 2001 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

I believe what's killing it for most of us is the "no whining" clause -- almost killed it for me.

Which clause is that?

Aug 27, 2001 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 52
That would be rule #1. Quote:

Only ONE answer for each category. No lists, no "depending on my mood" cop-outs...

Quote:

Surprisingly, I actually had a hard time finding singles from the 90s that were worthy of being named among my favorites of all time.

What about "One" by U2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back