Your favorite school reading
Apr 1, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

rsaavedra

Headphoneus Supremus
At school many years ago I had to read literature written in Spanish mostly, plus just a few translated-into-Spanish versions of extracts of literature originally written in English, German, Italian, French, and Latin. Some were great, some were boring.

Recently I've tried to read more English literature. Some readings I've truly enjoyed a lot are "Of mice and Men", "The Godfather", and believe it or not, the Harry Potter's. Currently I'm reading "Catcher in the rye", and next I'm planning to read Catch-22.

Some school readings are not classics, and some classics are not school readings. But in any case, what readings did you enjoy the most from what could possibly be called "school/classic" readings, in your respective native language, or translations from other languages?

The ones I have enjoyed the most (no April's fool):

"Divina Comedia", Dante
"Rimas", G.A. Becquer
"Eglogas", Garcilaso de la Vega
"Don Quijote", Cervantes
"Cuentos de amor, locura, y muerte", Horacio Quiroga
"Otelo", Shakespeare
"Romeo y Julieta", Shakespeare
"La celestina", F. Rojas

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 38
although I love reading, I have a distinct dislike for Dutch literature. built it up when having to read for school, ended up digging into English stuff. but in Dutch, I only really liked a couple of Renate Dorrestein's books, and Tessa de Loo's De Tweeling (The Twins). of the quite significant stack of other books I 'read' for school, I never came halfway in either of em. boring, and you just keep bumping into the same themes over and over again.

of the ones I can remember right now, I especially loved:
Susan Hill - I'm The King Of The Castle
Shakespear - Romeo&Juliet, Hamlet
Tolkien - The Hobbit
Richard Adams - Watership Down

never really got into the classics much though.

Nowadays, I dig into (contemporay) English/American authors (Vonnegut, Heller, William Gibson, Sarah Waters and a whole bunch more.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 38
Hey Braver--

I've really gotten into the singer, Fay Lovsky, recently. She's Dutch, isn't she? And if she is Dutch, is she pretty well known?

I also love the illustrator who does her album art!

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 38
These are the ones I recall with pleasure:

Bridge of San Luis Rey - Thorton Wilder

Victory - Joseph Conrad

The Fountainhead - Rand

Vanity Fair - Thackery

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

Elmer Gantry - Lewis

Bleak House - Dickens

Les Miserables - Dumas

Invitation to Sociology - Berger

BW

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 38
was i the only one who thought that the subject was going to be about shul as in synagogue?

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Ward
These are the ones I recall with pleasure:
Les Miserables - Dumas

I agree, but didn't Victor Hugo write it?

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
shul as in synagogue?

Don't even know that word, sorry for the confusion. Is it possible ot edit the title of a thread? I don't know how to do that.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 38
My favorite English/American texts way back in high school were:

Of Mice and Men, Huck Finn, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, A Separate Peace, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Bell Jar, Catcher in the Rye (all-time favorite), Heart of Darkness, Daisy Miller, and Sons and Lovers

I probably forgot a few more.

--Chris

Apr 1, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
I agree, but didn't Victor Hugo write it?

Oops! Sorry about that.

BW

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 38
I haven't read any classic literature, philosophy texts, etc. since university, more than a decade ago.

Nowadays, my reading material is usually restricted to Digikey catalogs and whatever is posted on Head-Fi.

D.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by BoyElroy

I've really gotten into the singer, Fay Lovsky, recently. She's Dutch, isn't she? And if she is Dutch, is she pretty well known?

yep, she is apparantly. never heard of her though.

Quote:

one flew over the cuckoos nest.

great movie too (saw it last night actually).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back