Your Favorite Local Record Store
Dec 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All! To celebrate our local record stores, I decided to start a thread to first share my own favorite!
Not only will this help others find these brilliant shops, but also they help to show our appreciation.
All buy all of my music used, so large selections are important.

My Favorite:
1. Academy Records (18th street, Manhattan)
Great selection, and the cheapest prices anywhere. I always find something that I like, and I spend a ton of money here.
Today, I saw a copy of
Soundgarden: Superunknown
Broken Bells
Yo La Tengo: Painful
We were promised Jetpacks: In the Pit of the Stomach
Spoon: Girl Can Tell

And all for cheaper than ebay/amazon prices! I would have bought them up, if I had enough money. I only bought Soundgarden + Yo La Tengo.

2. Other Music (4th street, Manhattan)
Great selection, but not as cheap as Academy. I love to come here just to see what's new, and sometimes to pick up some bargains.

So what about you? What are your favorite? We need to keep theses stores open!
Cd's are my only source of lossless music, so its in my best interest (and hopefully yours) to keep keep patronizing them.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 21
I love Easy Street Records in West Seattle. That is my place. I go there to get new releases and have breakfast there when I'm lucky. And even win concert tix from time to time. Cool place to get music. My 2 cents.

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 21
The closest thing I have to a local record store is Earshot Records in Winston-Salem.  For me, it is a forty-five minute drive, so I don't go as often as I would like.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 21
Dec 29, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 21
None around me but i heard about a good one 20 minutes away from me where i sometimes go to attend classical concerts.  Will have to check it out next time i go.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
Any places in Michigan you guys recommend, and have been to?

Well, im paying $25 for a ADC 1500 TT and the seller states "[size=10pt]the switches that control the speed need to be cleaned and the tone arm does not return at the end of the album." Im going to buy some vinyl now [/size]
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 21
In Milwaukee, my favorite place is The Exclusive Company in the Brady St. area. Good selection (especially used), good vibe, fun area of the city to be in anyway!

In Minneapolis, my go-to place used to be The Electric Fetus, pretty similar to the Exclusive Company in scale and selection. But then, I learned of a wonderful place called Cheapo, in Uptown. Cheapo is like a mall of music, has more music than I've ever seen in one place before (from that picture of Amoeba Music, Cheapo is comparable to that). Great prices (used starting at $.25), absolutely incredible selection, and also a really fun part of Minneapolis to chill around for a day!

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Well, im paying $25 for a ADC 1500 TT and the seller states "[size=10pt]the switches that control the speed need to be cleaned and the tone arm does not return at the end of the album." Im going to buy some vinyl now [/size]
biggrin.gif

What...?

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Haha, well the guy was on vacation that had the ADC so he's finally able to send it to me but he stated those following problems. Im having to get my 1250 looked at because of a possible blow speaker terminal, so im going have the TT fixed while im there. Im finally going to be able to buy some vinyl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back