Your favorite headphone for classical music and why.
Jan 21, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #31 of 66
As chance would have it, am currently looking for a headphone for classical music as well.
Caveat being i need narrow my options down to a dynamic set, albeit for good reasons, this is intended for someone younger. Durability..!

I noticed the ZMF verite open being mentioned, which i've also looked at; am also looking at the ADX5000.
If strictly down to dynamics, what would you folks recommend? Can be either of the above, or something else.
Has to be dynamic and at the 2/2ish K mark, not higher.
A short explanation as to why would also be greatly appreciated.

It's a good sum of money for me and i'd ideally like to be informed prior to parting with it.. my thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #32 of 66
Well, for me it is STAX electrostatic headphones, no other has this clarity and speed and instrument / space separation!! But it needs a special Estat amp, too. But doable in your price range for sure.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #34 of 66
If strictly down to dynamics, what would you folks recommend? Can be either of the above, or something else.
Check this TH-909 review. Fostex TH-909 is a good option and there are also comparisons with HD-800s, ADX-5000 and Focal Clear.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #35 of 66
As chance would have it, am currently looking for a headphone for classical music as well.
Caveat being i need narrow my options down to a dynamic set, albeit for good reasons, this is intended for someone younger. Durability..!

I noticed the ZMF verite open being mentioned, which i've also looked at; am also looking at the ADX5000.
A short explanation as to why would also be greatly appreciated.

It's a good sum of money for me and i'd ideally like to be informed prior to parting with it.. my thanks in advance :)
You need to audition the cans - only way to be actually informed. I would not pick zmf or ath cans for classical.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #36 of 66
Raal CA1a with FIR filter from Accurate Sound paired with 300B tubes is excellent for classical. Low end is weighty, timbre’s accurate for string instruments and very dynamic sounding.
Low end on RAAL sucks and is not a good fit for Mahler or any big orchestra works.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #37 of 66
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #38 of 66
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #39 of 66
We simply have different bass performance expectation and reference.
That’s correct and I’m gonna sell my 1266 TC since CA1a with Mitch filter has plenty of low end.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #40 of 66
My confession first: As a long time STAX aficionado, I’m heavily biased.
Additionally, I also owned & cherished the mention Sony R10 as the best CLOSED alternative to a STAX.

Nevertheless, one important aspect you’ll need to be aware of: STAX is kind of a “musical magnifying glass” – with emphasis on MUSICAL !!

Which means, it ruthlessly follows the GIGO principle. “Garbage In Garbage Out” .
Consequently your SOURCE material & equipment must be top notch, as well as all the intermediate gear of course.

My personal "nirvana" for classical - and other “unplugged” instrumental or choral - music is a full analogue front end and a “Tubey-Type” STAX compatible amp-system.

I could agree however, for any kind of Bass-heavy Rock & Pop , etc., there may indeed be more suitable alternatives to STAX. With the possible exception of the new TOTL X9000, :o2smile: which plays a highly accurate, but never over-powering bass.

All my very personal opinions of course … :wink:

Regards
Urs

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #41 of 66
I second the ZMF Verite for classical music, its close to reference sound for me while still giving some extra warmth to the sound. Probably many other sets that also nails this, I did also like the HD800s when I tried with some film score.

This is not a genre I listen often to, but I have some experience with classical music since wife plays in a orchestra. Have been to quite many orchestras in Norway due to this.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #42 of 66
1674314267706.jpeg

RAAL and some Stax simply can’t reproduce many of the tracks correctly.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #45 of 66
Appreciate the replies folks; as mentioned this needs to be a dynamic as it's intended for someone of a much younger age, but.. again, i do thank you for your input :)
As to auditioning.. cost of living in a small country:
i) most i can't even find
ii) even if i did, no offense, but, audition how? Some amp sitting on a carpet or desk? Fed from a 'source' i won't know? To understand what from that? ^^
A to B-ing would help, but i only own electrostats, so for dynamics, out of the question too.

Again, appreciate the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back