Your favorite headphone for classical music and why.
Feb 1, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #46 of 66
I’m also looking at options that would be good for primarily classical and opera, but need to be great with jazz, jazz vocals too, and preferably good with rock, pop, blues, r&b, and even some electronica as well. I could switch back to the punchy fun 99s for rock, etc., but if I’m going to throw down $1-2k for some higher end cans, would be great if I could use them for everything. Prefer warm lush and non-sibilant. I have tinnitus and need something super non-fatiguing. Most research leads to ZMF for me, but which ones? Atticus by Zach’s own description sounds right to me for tonality. But users seem to think Verite Open, Atrium, or Aoleus are a better match for classical, being open and airier. Also intrigued by Meze Empyrean as their house sound seems to be the other one research keeps me coming back to. Thanks for any thoughts!

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #47 of 66
Cost no object: DCA Voce (lacking the excess treble detail of the high end Stax), but lacking nothing else - on a very potent amp, the HFM Jr would be the least.

Cost medium: Senn HD-800 (over the S, wit the mod) on an OTL amp. IMO this and 600 both designed on OTL tubes, never sound as good on SS amps.

Cost low: HD-600 with an inexpensive OTL such as Bottlehead Crack, XDUOO T26, etc.) lacks soundstage but timbre from top to bottom of pianos blows away that of many $2k+ cans.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #48 of 66
I just found this thread!

I too am looking for an endgame/TOTL headphone system for classical but I have no idea what to get. I read every post on this thread and I’m not sure what direction to go.

I have an A&K SP3000 and some mid range IEMs (Kublai Khan, Vision EXT, Indigo…) but I have no idea how to move to the next phase of this hobby with stacks, custom cables, headphone brands that people not on this thread have never heard of.

I’d like to stay on the sub-$10,000 range for the whole setup.

It looks like you guys also like the Raal SR-1a.

P.s. hello @normie610 thanks for the advice on the other thread

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #50 of 66
Brand new Holo Spring 3 KTE: $3,100.
Brand new Holo Bliss KTE: $3,400.
Brand new Susvara: $4,500.

Yes, it's a grand over your budget but...

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #51 of 66
I just found this thread!

I too am looking for an endgame/TOTL headphone system for classical but I have no idea what to get. I read every post on this thread and I’m not sure what direction to go.

I have an A&K SP3000 and some mid range IEMs (Kublai Khan, Vision EXT, Indigo…) but I have no idea how to move to the next phase of this hobby with stacks, custom cables, headphone brands that people not on this thread have never heard of.

I’d like to stay on the sub-$10,000 range for the whole setup.

It looks like you guys also like the Raal SR-1a.

P.s. hello @normie610 thanks for the advice on the other thread
For your budget, perhaps you could go with Raal CA-1a ($2.5k) + Mitch convolution filter ($200) and @devilboy ’s suggestion on the DAC & amp.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #52 of 66
Cost no object: DCA Voce (lacking the excess treble detail of the high end Stax), but lacking nothing else - on a very potent amp, the HFM Jr would be the least.

Cost medium: Senn HD-800 (over the S, wit the mod) on an OTL amp. IMO this and 600 both designed on OTL tubes, never sound as good on SS amps.

Cost low: HD-600 with an inexpensive OTL such as Bottlehead Crack, XDUOO T26, etc.) lacks soundstage but timbre from top to bottom of pianos blows away that of many $2k+ cans.
DACs: 1) Shiitt Bifrost 2 or Bifrost 2/64 (the OG is great value if you can find it.) 2) SMSL Su-9n fantastic value. Both DACS offer detail, soundstage & musicality (not boring).

Amps: 1) Burson Soloists 3X. Clean, very powerful amp to run any headphone yet can easily play sensitive IEMs. Offers more listening fun than a boring (IMO) AAA type amp.

Headphones: 1) Highfiman HE 1000 v2 - best value for under $2,000. '90% of Susvara for less than 1/2 the price'.

IEM: 1) Thieaudio Monarch MK 2. Fantastic endgame all-rounder. Best value by far. Highest rating by Crinacle - S+. 2) Moondrop S8.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #53 of 66
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out!

@devilboy : your setup looks perfect for me. I kind of pulled that $10K out of my ass and $11 is cool too.

I also neglected to mention that although I do indeed love classical, I listen to a lot of other things as well (jazz, electronic, blues, female vocals…).

If I’m understanding correctly, this would be a great system for me that would play everything really well right?

One other question that is probably a stupid one :) I think initially I’ll be using my new A&K SP3000 as a source, rather than a dedicated PC.

Since the SP3000 obviously has a DAC inside, could I connect it to the Holo Bliss KTE amp or still to the Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC?

Super pumped… :)

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #54 of 66
DACs: 1) Shiitt Bifrost 2 or Bifrost 2/64 (the OG is great value if you can find it.) 2) SMSL Su-9n fantastic value. Both DACS offer detail, soundstage & musicality (not boring). Amps: 1) Burson Soloists 3X. Clean, very powerful amp to run any headphone yet can easily play sensitive IEMs. Offers more listening fun than a boring (IMO) AAA type amp.

OK, don't know the lower end Schiit DAC's to opine. I'm very happy with my Gungnir A1 w/ Unison, and 192/24. Just need to get a streamer that actually does wifi w/o dropping off every 5 minutes, and costs under $1k.

Yes, the AAA amps are boring.
Headphones: 1) Highfiman HE 1000 v2 - best value for under $2,000. '90% of Susvara for less than 1/2 the price'.
v2 is 96% of the Susvara. Susvara is priced to satisfy ego buyers and FB's bottom line, awesome can, criminal price. On SS amps it nails the 800 or 800S IMO, but, on OTL?

My opinion is that Voce on a proper amp is better than any planar I have heard, so I have the top end covered, and the budget combo of a HD-600, used HD-800, and a $319 OTL amp is very much my choice for the low end, although I'm actually a planar guy in all other ways (HE-6SE, 500, OG 6, Susvara, HEK v2, OG LCD-4, OG D8000). IRL I'd rewind to the late Fall when Audeze was selling OG 4 drivers in newer bodies for $1400 and be done with all of it (plus my 3 regular cans listed below, not the 5LE) - drat!
IEM: 1) Thieaudio Monarch MK 2. Fantastic endgame all-rounder. Best value by far. Highest rating by Crinacle - S+. 2) Moondrop S8.
OK, I have no interest in IEM's myself.

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #55 of 66
For your budget, perhaps you could go with Raal CA-1a ($2.5k) + Mitch convolution filter ($200) and @devilboy ’s suggestion on the DAC & amp.
Good advice, but scoop up a used HFM HE-6 SE (either version) in good shape to give some bottom end that is quick and accurate, but also has impact. For your tastes avoid the closed backs with pumped up bass/midbass (not all, just most I have heard).

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #56 of 66
Found a good Qobuz classical album today:

http://open.qobuz.com/album/xq5dtwkbx2jlc

A98B36A1-F10C-4B42-B7DD-3AC8936E04A2.jpeg

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #59 of 66
headphones[dot]com has open box for $4800. before you purchase a susvara, you should also read about the bravura. BTD1 listens mainly to classical and praises this system.
Wow, I haven’t heard of Bravura. It’s hard to say no after watching this guy’s review of them:

The simplicity of the setup is very compelling, and they’re not just higher end but totally different from the planar magnetic Audeze LCD-2s I’ve been listening to for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back