Your Favorite Cover Art
Jul 1, 2007 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
I can't be the only one around here fascinated with great album covers. My idea with this thread was for us to share our favorite cover art - be it CD, Vinyl, SACD or even Tape.

Post your art and preferably a small comment about it. Is it a cover which awakens memories for you? Does it represent anything to you? Have you ever bought an album just because of the cover?

I'll begin with a couple favorites of mine:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
[size=xx-small](I mean come on - what did you expect?)[/size]

Apart from being a fabulous album music- and audio-wise, I find this cover one of my favorites. As you can see it's very simple - yet so elegant. The minimalistic stripe of our color spectrum on a black background with a prism.

Opeth - Orchid

Once again, the simple elegance. Just as with "Dark Side of The Moon" we have here a pitch black background and a contrasted detail on top, in this case an Orchid - also the name of the album. This cover feels so very Opeth to me, I've always thought of Opeth surrounded by flowers and darkness. The mellow and poetic pieces followed by groundbreaking death metal - all in a progressive manner. So very Opeth.

Chris Rea - The Road To Hell Pt.1

We have here a cube floating around in outer space, not to forget a rainbow in the upper right corner. Awesome, it has everything I want in a cover - outer space and a rainbow! I have yet to figure out what's on the cube though. Why I relate to this album cover is because my dad always used to play this album in his car whenever we went on some kind of trip (This was when I was 6-8 years old). I really loved the first track on the album, "The Road To Hell", and I remember finding the album cover awfully cool. This is the ultimate "Highway song" in my opinion.

I can't figure out any more favorites right now, so I'll pass the ball to my fellow head-fi:ers.

(REMEMBER TO KEEP THE POSTED ALBUM ART IN SANE RESOLUTIONS. 200x200 - 400x400 PIXELS FEELS REASONABLE)

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 116
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
PinkFloyd-TheDivisionBell11343_f.jpg

No specific comments. I just like the looks of it, and its a great album as well.

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
No specific comments. I just like the looks of it, and its a great album as well.

Indeed a cool cover. I like how it's both one face and two faces at the same time, depending how you look at it.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 116
She Wants Revenge:

69734310fca07ed85f90a010._AA240_.L.jpg
6023024128a0724717fba010._AA240_.L.jpg

No specific comments--it just seems cool for cover art and it relates to the band's name.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 116
Yes, In the Court of the Crimson King totally seconded! Don't have a turntable, but I do have a copy of the vinyl on display
smily_headphones1.gif

Other than that, I've always loved the cover of Porcupine Tree - Recordings (should be self-explanatory)
ptree08.jpg

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 116
I just remembered another one!

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
s7880.jpg

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 116
Ryan%20Adams.jpg

I love the Cold Roses album cover. It looks like a Waylon Jenning's Greatest Hits cover or something! lol

Beach_Boys_-_Pet_Sounds.jpg

I just love the theme of this album. All the boys at the zoo. Brian's peacoat is sweet too.

fist_dylan_blonde.jpg

I love this one because the picture isn't even good! His facial expression is ugly and the picture's blurry! It's perfect for the album. Completely sarcastic and completely not "good". It's so good.

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 116
Lateralus - Tool
so great for emphasizing the dual entendres stressed throughout the whole album

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 116
jakatta.jpg

Jakatta - Visions

very beautiful album cover, it's sexy, sensual, urban and gives a chilled vibe, not to mention i like the warm and cool colors intertwined like they are

sacredc2.jpg

Bill Laswell - Sacred System: Chapter Two

i've always been a huge fan of arabic caligraphy because it's very artistic, it flows so effortlessly and almost poetically (visually speaking), combined with the black and white arabic caligraphy intertwined with some color, it's kind of like an abstract mystical feel i get, like there's some deep hidden meaning within it, something ancient

tablabeatsciencelive.jpg

Tabla Beat Science - Live At Stern Grove (in San Francisco)

i've always liked tbs' covers, graced by the artwork of artist Doze Green http://www.dozegreen.com/, nice collage effect, the character looks like he's in some meditative trance, surrounded by various musical instruments

Rise_shankar.jpg

Anoushka Shankar - Rise

another classy album cover, it's another mysterious/mystical vibe i get combined with sensuality and the blue gives a very open, chilled, airy, wind-like smoothness, while the silhouette is the main focal point and her face blends in, feeling the music and all it's complexities

zir15p.jpg

Cibelle (self-titled)

i like this one a lot as well, very colorful, full of bold bright colors, something i like a lot, stands out, it's also very playful and fresh looking and cibelle's hair is semi-wet, makes me think of the ocean and brazil, waves, paradise and so forth (she's a brazilian artist)

euforia.jpg

Madredeus - Euforia

L113734.jpg

Mariza - Fado Em Mim

the way teresa's and mariza's head is bowed, it's like you feel the music and emotions of portugese fado, it's hard to describe without listening to the music and then associating that pose with it, all i can say is 'mouraria' 'saudade' and 'fado' to express what is conveyed on that album cover, words don't really do justice when describing portugese fado, other than the lyrics themselves and the fadistas pouring their hearts out

Otep%20Sevas%20Tra%20Front.jpg

Otep - Sevas Tra

i get this goddess vibe from this album, a master in disguise, a jack of all trades, a woman possessed with enormous power, yet this power is often underestimated and indirect, not seen by many, not to mention the kali pose, goddess of creation and destruction, woman is creator of all and bares all of life etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back