Your favorite cd of the year!
Nov 13, 2001 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 92
Linkin Park rap?! I dont think so, its just plain Hard Rock (with two vocalists). Guitars, drums, samples..oh and a dj. Forgot that, plus the dj uses Sony cans..wonder which ones? lol. Anyway, i noticed most head-fiers tend to listen to classical and jazz, so be it, my motto stands as is: "to each his own"
One more note: although i listen to mostly rock and metal, i never judged anyone who listens to jazz, classical or blues. I'd expect the same.

George

ps. nu-metal? never heard of this new format

Nov 13, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 92
Quote:

Linkin Park rap?! I dont think so, its just plain Hard Rock (with two vocalists). Guitars, drums, samples..oh and a dj. Forgot that, plus the dj uses Sony cans..wonder which ones? lol. Anyway, i noticed most head-fiers tend to listen to classical and jazz, so be it, my motto stands as is: "to each his own"

To each his/her own is right. I never heard Linkin Park, so I was going by what coolvij said, he called them Nu-Metal, and that's rap!

You know stuff like, kid rock, the guy with the red cap, what's the name of that wanker? Humm, that group with all those idiots wearing masks, you know, crap like that.

If you say that Linkin Park doesn't sound anything like those types of bands and they are instead Hard Rock, then so be it, you would know better than me, since I never heard them.

Nov 13, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 92
I would chime in for Amnesiac, and though I have not heard the new radiohead live album, I am sure it will be good. The other thing I would say might also be a candidate is Sound-Dust, by Stereolab. I am a huge fan of their previous releases, but I have not gotten a chance to pick it up yet. Most of my other cd buys this year have been released in the last 5 years, but I have no idea when. I just sort of buy bands which I like, but I don't really follow the release dates too closely.

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:09 AM Post #20 of 92
Although I dont have this yet .. it will be mine ... oh yes.......

Fugazi ---- the Argument

...it will be mine

runner ups:
Rollins Band: Nice
Los Straitjackets: Sing Along With
Los Super Seven: Canto
Nebula: Charged
311: From Chaos
Superchunk: Here's to Shutting Up

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 92
lol, nah their not slipknot or kid rock (dont like the whole white trash gimmick). Dont care much for gimmicks in any act. just give me good tunes (and no filler please).

George

Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

To each his/her own is right. I never heard Linkin Park, so I was going by what coolvij said, he called them Nu-Metal, and that's rap!

You know stuff like, kid rock, the guy with the red cap, what's the name of that wanker? Humm, that group with all those idiots wearing masks, you know, crap like that.

If you say that Linkin Park doesn't sound anything like those types of bands and they are instead Hard Rock, then so be it, you would know better than me, since I never heard them.

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #22 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I would chime in for Amnesiac, and though I have not heard the new radiohead live album, I am sure it will be good.

Hey, i have downloaded the Mp3's of the whole album off of bearshare, sounds good, but it seems to be kinda short (wish they would just release a whole concert). I also pre-ordered the cd and vinyl! I'm quite sure they are releasing the show on DVD as well.

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:46 AM Post #23 of 92
I dont listen to much rap, but Outkast is thumbs up. I think they have a new one coming out in Dec.

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 92
Hmmm...this year, eh? Isn't it a bit soon? Oh, well, the contenders, so far:

Clan of Xymox - Notes from The Underground -- that came out this year, didn't it? Nice 5-piece (guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, and ...um... something else...I forget...oh yeah! vocals!) dark music in the style of more recent Gary Numan, etc.

Curve - both of them, Open Day at the Hate Fest and Gift -- I got them both at the same time, so I have a hard time differentiating between the two, even though they were written and recorded and produced and etc. consecutively. This is some of the most mature and subtle song-writing the duo have ever done. If you've never heard of them, they came before Garbage, and Garbage should owe them a stipend (and I like Garbage! Notice who's missing though.)

Amorphis - Am Universum -- amazing metal with harmonious vocals in the old style (BOC, etc.) and...sax? Not too distracting, contrary to what AMG says...

The Faint - Danse Macabre -- am I in the wrong year? This should have been one of the best albums of 1983. Only 35 minutes, but great fun.

ohGr - Welt -- a staggeringly swaggering slab of post-industrial grooviness!

Ruby - Short-staffed at the Gene Pool -- is there such a thing as post-trip-hop? If so, then this is it. Also care of Mark Walk, the master!

In the Nursery - Asphalt -- it's not Hindle Wakes, but artists should not be judged by having a freak leap of beauty, so other than that, this may well be their most beautiful piece of music. Very lyrical.

Melotron - Fortschritt -- when did this come out? This year, I think. Excellent synth-pop, albeit sung in German.

Rammstein - Mutter -- another German-singing band! Nice and hard. No "Engel", but they may never equal that beautiful balance of the pretty and the hard.

Lennon - 5:30 Saturday Morning -- missed her opening for Stabbing Westward, but they were handing out samplers and dam! they were fine. Picked up the rest of the album, and it did not disappoint. Not really in my top of 2001 list (a couple of slow spots, but you should be able to pick it up cheap/used), but thought I'd mention her since none of youse guys will have heard of her. RIYL -- Curve, Stabbing Westward, Garbage, etc. I.E. groovy 5-piece hard rock.

Stabbing Westward - Stabbing Westward -- excellent hard rock, well written, passionately played, and immaculately produced. What more could you possibly want?

The Album Leaf - One Day I'll Be On Time -- melodic, instrumental, indie psychedelia. Highly recommended. Saw them open for Sigur Ros. RIYL Friends of Dean Martinez, Tristeza, etc.

The Third Eye Foundation - I Poo Poo on Your Juju -- sort of the audio equivalent of a Dave McKean art piece. A lot of cutting and pasting, yet the whole is seethingly coherent. This one is actually a collection of some of his remixes and such, yet it works extremely well as an album, especially since I didn't have many of the tracks (for that matter, I'm not sure I had any of the tracks). It's also his epilogue -- sad. RIYL the more delicate side of earlier Godspeed You Black Emperor! and really good soundscape artists. Oh, there's also some d'n'b, but that's almost irrelevant.

Tortoise - Standards -- really good album, don't think I need to defend this one.

Mouse on Mars - Idiology -- just because they were so awesome live!

Pan Sonic - Aaltopiiri -- minimalistic, experimental madness.

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:08 AM Post #25 of 92
Dustychalk,

Hey Hey Hey! One cd you hog
very_evil_smiley.gif
lol...yea i guess its a bit early, but what the hell.
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:15 AM Post #26 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Hey Hey Hey! One cd you hog
very_evil_smiley.gif
lol...

I did say "contenders", did I not? What can I say, I have problems with "rules". And decisiveness. And memory retention. (I probably forgot some, so, if provoked, will more likely add to the list than reduce it to a meer one.)
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:27 AM Post #27 of 92
Oh ok lol..I wound up doing it myself in later posts.
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 9:07 AM Post #30 of 92
Tool - Lateralus

This album is amazing, and you all owe it to yourselves to buy it and listen to it regularly. Apart from the phenomenal drumming, intricate song structures and intelligent lyrics, it is one of the best-sounding rock CDs I've ever heard. Provided you have a good HDCD player that is. Even without one though, the sound quality it top-notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back