Your favorite cd of the year!
Nov 13, 2001 at 11:33 AM Post #31 of 92
Best album of the year (so far):

e952518zop0.jpg

"Let it come down" - Spiritualized

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:19 PM Post #33 of 92
I dont listen to much rap, but Outkast is thumbs up. I think they have a new one coming out in Dec.

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:59 PM Post #34 of 92
Well Dusty revealed two more of my 5 new release purchases
this year

1)Rob Zombie - sinister urge (will be released today)

2)Clan of Xymox - notes from underground - magnificent, more industrial/powerful sounding than 1980s COX

3)Ramstein - mutter - this is more complex/varied than previous two Cds, best work to date.

4)Opeth - blackwater park - pure evil (kiddies stay away) (KR must have forgot about this one)

I want to hear the Zombie album first, but these are my top 4
this year. 5th purchase was New Order "get ready" good but not great.

Dusty, how many CDs you own.......I'm afraid to ask!

I am suprised at all the mentions of radiohead "amnesiac" as the sound is so different from ok computer/bends that many of their core fan base (me included) gave up on them with "kid a"

Nov 13, 2001 at 1:56 PM Post #35 of 92
DarkAngel....yeah, I can certainly agree that Amnesiac and Kid A were a big departure from radiohead's previous releases. I like them a lot however, as I am very much into progressive bands, electronica, and avant garde music. I still love their older stuff, but I think they are certainly headed in an interesting direction. I don't think they have quite hit their stride in the new genre, but I think their future releases have some real potential (not this latest one though, as it is just live recordings of Amnesiac and Kid A stuff...it will be good, but not different).
Stu

Nov 13, 2001 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 92
For Rock:

1. Tool - Lateralus
2. Gov't. Mule - The Deep End Vol. 1
3. Glenn Hughes - Building The Machine

For Jazz:

1. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (Box Set)
2. Miles Davis - Live At the Fillmore

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:23 PM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

I am suprised at all the mentions of radiohead "amnesiac" as the sound is so different from ok computer/bends that many of their core fan base (me included) gave up on them with "kid a"

Well for so many of their "core" fans to "give up" on them means they were never really core fans to begin with! I like Amnesiac much more than any of their previous albums so i like this new direction they have taken!

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #39 of 92
Final vote now in for best new release 2001:

1)Rob Zombie - Sinister Urge

Got this at lunch today, did not disappoint and surpasses Zombies
previous best work La Sexorcisto, if you like the song "thunder kiss 65" this is your CD. Has the usual insertion of campy/funny
sound clips interludes between songs which are mostly skull crushing straight ahead heavy rockers. A couple mid tempo tracks
balance things out, if you have any interest in White Zombie this is their best work.

The booklet is really nice, 22 page monster with all lyrics and great photos/graphics.......got mine for $11.99 from best buy.
BTW there is a trick hidden short track after long pause at the end of track 11.

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:36 PM Post #40 of 92
Hot Water Music : A Flight and a Crash

yeah... i really can't think of anything else released this year that i've thouroughly enjoyed. oh, for classical

Sir Malcolm Arnold : Symphony #s 7&8

very nightmarish music. excellent though.

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 92
Tool - Lateralus

Although I would like to make it clear that Lateralus is one of the few, if not the only, newly released albums I've bought in a long time. I find myself turning more and more towards the 80s for music, IMO all you ever need is GnR and Metallica. Oh well.

Nov 13, 2001 at 7:04 PM Post #42 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by rlaskey
``confield'' by autechre

Don't tell me no one here knows who / what this is ...

I dont have the slightest clue.

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 7:08 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Final vote now in for best new release 2001:

1)Rob Zombie - Sinister Urge

Got this at lunch today, did not disappoint and surpasses Zombies
previous best work La Sexorcisto, if you like the song "thunder kiss 65" this is your CD. Has the usual insertion of campy/funny
sound clips interludes between songs which are mostly skull crushing straight ahead heavy rockers. A couple mid tempo tracks
balance things out, if you have any interest in White Zombie this is their best work.

The booklet is really nice, 22 page monster with all lyrics and great photos/graphics.......got mine for $11.99 from best buy.
BTW there is a trick hidden short track after long pause at the end of track 11.

How long is the album? Less than 30 minutes like the last one? Thats nuts, this guy releases an album every 2-3 yrs and its short as hell. La Sexorcisto is one of the best albums i've ever heard, i think it would be hard to beat. I didnt think much of Rob Zombies first solo effort..quite a disappointment. Wheres that bassist babe, Sean Yseult?

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #44 of 92
George
This has no resemblence whatsoever to that "hellbilly" crap Zombie put out.......if you have seen the new video "feel so numb"
Zombie has never rocked harder or better, yes IMO this surpases
La Sexorcisto that is why it gets my vote for best new release.

Sean is gone, all male line-up now. Tommy Lee listed in credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back