Your favorite career artist/group
Jul 25, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #31 of 46
Tool - I love everything by them (with the exception of "songs" like (-) Ions and Cesarro Summability)

Nine Inch Nails - Whatever I didn't like at first, I grew to eventually love

Radiohead - I like everything from them except for Pablo Honey. I like a few songs but I don't like the album as a whole.

Rage Against The Machine - I like all 4 albums, but I feel like each album slowly slips in song content and such. Their debut CD is m favorite.

Static-X - Sure they only have 2 CDs, but I like em both

System of a Down - Same as Static-X

At least with NIN, Radiohead, and RATM I can pick a favorite CD from them all. Tool I can't. I just like them all too much :\

Jul 25, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #32 of 46
Focusing on rock/pop:
  1. Queen
  2. Steely Dan
  3. Little Feat
  4. Radiohead
  5. Dave Matthews Band
  6. David Gray
  7. Tool
  8. Pink Floyd
  9. Rufus Wainwright
  10. Creedence Clearwater Revival
  11. Public Enemy
  12. Jane's Addiction
That's all that came to my sleepy mind at this time, but I'm sure there are at least a few more for me.

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 46
Megadeth
Pre '95 Metallica
Pearl Jam
Van Halen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
REM
Pantera (don't like the direction their previous 2 studio albums took though)
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Helmet
Filter
Live (only their debut)
Counting Crows (ditto)
U2
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson
Slayer
Alice in Chains
Smashing Pumpkins

This pretty much covers it as far as rock, metal, and alternative goes.

Oct 3, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #36 of 46
Ben Harper
Black Crowes
Bob Marley
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Dr. Didg
Grateful Dead
John Lee Hooker
Lenny Kravitz
LTJ Bukem
Marques Wyatt
Morcheeba
Orbital
Ozomatli
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sublime
VAS

(Soon to continue great albums, I hope):
Afro Mystic (only one album out)
Jack Johnson (only one album out)

I'm tired of thinking, that should do for now.

Oct 4, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #37 of 46
Well, since this thread was revised I think I'll put my $0.02 in.

By far the band I listen to the most these days is Rush. The ironic thing is until recently I absolutely hated them. When one of their songs would come on the radio I would instantly change stations. I don't know what happened to me but about 6 months ago I "discovered" them and have been listening non stop since. I haven't heard every one of their 20 or so albums yet but I plan on getting them all eventually.

On another note, I was able to catch both Rush concerts in the LA area last month. It was absolutely amazing. Just three incredible musicians playing for 3 hours. Best concerts I've been to in a long time. If they have not been to your town yet I highly recommend seeing them. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #38 of 46
What about Vladimir Horowitz? He produced some great albums in the early 1930's (recorded sound isn't so hot, I'll admit), but put out some VERY nice stuff in the 90's when HE was nearly 90 years old!
I don't think anyone yet mentioned can match 60 years with all good recordings!

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #40 of 46
Overall, my favorite would be Project Pitchfork. I own all their albums except Inferno, which is being shipped to me as i write (will take a little while to cross the Atlantic).

My other favorites would be:

-VNV Nation
-Covenant
-Decoded Feedback
-Absurd Minds

I don't venture much out of the industrial-electronic vein nowadays.

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
Overall, my favorite would be Project Pitchfork. I own all their albums except Inferno, which is being shipped to me as i write (will take a little while to cross the Atlantic).

My other favorites would be:

-VNV Nation
-Covenant
-Decoded Feedback
-Absurd Minds

I don't venture much out of the industrial-electronic vein nowadays.

Cool! I love all those bands, except I never heard of Absurd Minds...will have to check them out...I presume Inferno is new? I'll have to track it down. Are you familiar with Evil's Toy? For Angels Only is downright perfect, from beginning to end.

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Cool! I love all those bands, except I never heard of Absurd Minds...will have to check them out...I presume Inferno is new? I'll have to track it down. Are you familiar with Evil's Toy? For Angels Only is downright perfect, from beginning to end.

Yeah, Inferno is Project Pitchfork's newest album. It was released in Germany September 30 and will be released in the U.S. in early November by Metropolis Records. I ordered my copy from infrarot.de (great service, great prices) but given that I select the cheapest shipping option it takes quite a lot of time to get albums this way.

Absurd Minds sounds a lot like Project Pitchfork at first listen. Their lyrics are a little better written but most of their music sounds very similar. Still very good stuff. I highly recommend picking up their album "Deception", which is also available from infrarot.de.

I haven't heard of Evil's Toy, but I will definately check them out.

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #43 of 46
My overall favorite would have to be Sting. I have all his albums and while some may be better than other, there isn't one I'm not glad to own. Include the Police albums and you have an artist how has gone throug some many evolutions but keeps producing great music.

Other bands/artists I think have had great careers are:

- Smashing Pumpkins
- Ben Harper (although Burn to Shine IMO is not his best stuff)
- U2
- Pink Floyd

Zin

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #44 of 46
individuals:
tom waits
otis redding
aimee mann
beck
lucinda williams

groups:
the velvet underground
the travelling wilburys
the rolling stones when they had bill wyman (if that counts)

Oct 12, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #45 of 46
Very hard for me to find a band (except relatively new ones) whose *ALL* albums I like... still what comes to mind would be:
Tool
Opeth
Tristania

Much longer list could be made of artists/bands who answer the title of the thread "Your favorite career artist/group " but I don't like "*EVERY* album that they released" either because longer history of released albums or because taking experimental/new paths that I didn't particularily like - this not necessarily meaning they were *selling out*- yet I still appreciate them not less than the first one mentioned. Names that come to mind:
King Crimson
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Genesis
Yes
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Cradle of Filth
Mahavishnu Orchestra - John McLaughlin
Chick Corea and Return To Forever