The Beatles (of course)
U2
Kate Bush
a-ha
The Replacements
The Cardigans
Snow Patrol
Embrace

These are artists where I have all their studio albums, sometimes in more than one format, and generally stay in my music rotation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, The Flower Kings have been my favorite band for the past 5 years since discovering them.

Always good to get new artist suggestions - taking a listen, now...

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #63 of 172
Following Virometals sentiments (t-shirts, posters and all that jazz) it should be RHCP (pre calif.), Bob Marley, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Múm and Pink Floyd, but I can't possibly pick just one, and although I still consider all the six mentioned to be an essential part of me, none of them would come as far up as top 10, there are just too much unbelievably brilliant music out there.

If I were forced to reduce my musical collection down to a singular, I would have to be a person, and that person would be Jhonn Balance. By choosing him, and including all his various projects and collaborations, and the side projects and collaborations of his collaborates, one ends up with an immense catalog spread over a countless number of great acts; including Coil, Psychic TV, Nurse With Wound, Death In June, Psychic TV, Current 93, Thighpaulsandra, Zos Kia, Throbbing Gristle, CoH, Cultural Amnesia, Vagina Dentata Organ, Lustmord, Cyclobe, Aural Rage… By using him as a starting point I have found much of the music I'm listening to now.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #64 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Following Virometals sentiments (t-shirts, posters and all that jazz) it should be RHCP (pre calif.), Bob Marley, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Múm and Pink Floyd, but I can't possibly pick just one, and although I still consider all the six mentioned to be an essential part of me, none of them would come as far up as top 10, there are just too much unbelievably brilliant music out there.

If I were forced to reduce my musical collection down to a singular, I would have to be a person, and that person would be Jhonn Balance. By choosing him, and including all his various projects and collaborations, and the side projects and collaborations of his collaborates, one ends up with an immense catalog spread over a countless number of great acts; including Coil, Psychic TV, Nurse With Wound, Death In June, Psychic TV, Current 93, Thighpaulsandra, Zos Kia, Throbbing Gristle, CoH, Cultural Amnesia, Vagina Dentata Organ, Lustmord, Cyclobe, Aural Rage… By using him as a starting point I have found much of the music I'm listening to now.

Excellent taste in music (except the Floyd which I probably could do without
dt880smile.png
). I was spacing out to Psychic TV's Dreams less Sweet today actually. What a great album. Funny, I know so many folks who've been familiar with that album for years and never knew it was holophonic.

I'm not familiar with some of the bands that Balance associated with like Thighpaulsandra, Zos Kia, Cultural Amnesia, Vagina Dentata Organ, Cyclobe or Aural Rage. I'll have to look those up.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #65 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are some of my overall, as opposed to current, favorites:

The Beatles (of course)
U2
Kate Bush
a-ha
The Replacements
The Cardigans
Snow Patrol
Embrace

These are artists where I have all their studio albums, sometimes in more than one format, and generally stay in my music rotation.

Out of those, who's your favorite though?

Its funny, its so hard to pick just one isn't it.
normal_smile .gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #67 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ACDC is my all time fav. I love the simple yet sophisticated songs they play. Can't get enough of Angus Youngs playing.
Guns N Roses in up there also. November Rain never gets old.

Really? AC/DC? That's pretty cool. Which singer do you like best?

Was never a fan of post-Lies GNR. Their sound just petered out for me after that. Too ballad-y.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #68 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? AC/DC? That's pretty cool. Which singer do you like best?

Was never a fan of post-Lies GNR. Their sound just petered out for me after that. Too ballad-y.

Not that big on GNR's new stuff, not the same without the original members. =(

i Second ACDC, i have to say most of the the bands career was based on Brian Johnson, i have to say his raspy voice is BA, but Bon Scott will always have the spot of lead singer. RIP.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #69 of 172
Quote:

Out of those, who's your favorite though?

Its funny, its so hard to pick just one isn't it.
normal_smile .gif

Not really tbh - has to be the Beatles, then. They were the first band I was really "into", and I never grew out of them. They basically paved the groundwork for a lifetime of musical enjoyment.

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #70 of 172
Quote:

Excellent taste in music (except the Floyd which I probably could do without
dt880smile.png
). I was spacing out to Psychic TV's Dreams less Sweet today actually. What a great album. Funny, I know so many folks who've been familiar with that album for years and never knew it was holophonic.

I'm not familiar with some of the bands that Balance associated with like Thighpaulsandra, Zos Kia, Cultural Amnesia, Vagina Dentata Organ, Cyclobe or Aural Rage. I'll have to look those up.

No Floyd, huh. It's not very often I listen to the later stuff, but albums like Atom Heart Mother, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets I can listen to all day long.

I need more PTV, too bad so much of this stuff is so hard to get.

Zos Kia/Coil - Transparent is a good one.

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #71 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Floyd, huh. It's not very often I listen to the later stuff, but albums like Atom Heart Mother, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets I can listen to all day long.

The Syd Barrett stuff is the only Floyd I really like. Post-Barrett Floyd tends to annoy me a bit.

Quote:

I need more PTV, too bad so much of this stuff is so hard to get.

Zos Kia/Coil - Transparent is a good one.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #72 of 172
i have more than 17 CD albums, more than 20 LP albums and 2 DVDs of my all time favorite group ==> AMERICA
beerchug.gif

2zpv04j.jpg

2cdh1ud.jpg

izvojp.jpg

16k5b9k.jpg

sb1t11.jpg

1fzk79.jpg

this one is remastered version, 180gram.. i also have the 1st issue
167k27d.jpg

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #74 of 172
Tough question.

At times it has been Rush but I've come to realize that I only like Rush up to 2112.

That leaves three others: Led Zeppelin, Van Halen and Tool.
and out of the three my all time favorite is definitely Led Zeppelin.

Darcy

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #75 of 172
Being part of a younger generation (i'm 22), I love the Killers. Their first album blew me away, and the way their sound changes with each album keeps them fresh. I also got to see them live a month ago at the Jones Beach Amphitheater and WOW! First band that I thought sounded even better in concert than on cd.

The setting helped too. The amphitheater is a semi-circle facing the ocean (right on the beach). The cool, ocean breeze in your face at night with great music and amazing stage lighting really made it a fantastic experience. The Killers did not disappoint. They played every song I could have asked for and more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back