Your Favorite 5.1 mixes on DVD-A or SACD?
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired the deluxe addition of "Tommy" by The Who and I'm loving it.

On the flipside of the coin, I also picked up a copy of the Flaming Lips' "At War With Mystics," and "ouch." I thought the redbook version hurt my ears. This one is even worse, if that is possible. It's a shame, because the music itself is very fun.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame, because the music itself is very fun.

Yeah that is too bad. You can't beat the Lips for use of pan and the rears. Sometimes, it's almost too much, but one never forgets the 5.1.

--

I love 5.1 and still am disappointed that we don't get more pop/rock in the format. *crossed fingers for Blu-ray* Here are my favorite mixes:

1. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (SACD) - actually 4ch. the original was recorded quadraphonic.

2. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (SACD) - I'm really not the world's biggest PF fan, but yeah, I'm probably kidding myself even placing this disc lower than one. It sounds great format and production wise.

3. Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (SACD) - all the Elton John re-issues sound fantastic and make good use of the rears for space, not just isolated instrumental tracks.

4. Peter Gabriel - Up (SACD) - There are a couple of weak songs on the disc. Can't beat the surround however. It is a gritty, textured, and alt-world as if it as if recorded and mixed with the format in mind. That wouldn't surprise me since the album was released in 2002 - a year where the SACD and DVD-A formats were still hoping to win the public's heart.

5. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (SACD) - see Elton John

It really is the same old stuff since the formats have sizzled. I haven't bought a surround disc since the recent Door's DVD-A and Genesis box sets. I was disheartened that MFSL didn't release recent Dead Can Dance and Pixies re-masters with a 5.1 layer.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 8
The only album I've heard on DVD-A where I enjoy the 5.1 version anywhere near as much as the 2.0 is R.E.M. - Up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back