Your Degree of Computer Literacy . . . . .
Nov 1, 2002 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
What is your degree of computer literacy/aptitude? In other words, how educated are you in regards to computers in general as in do you know the fundamentals, the technical aspect; can you repair one or troubleshoot with ease?

The reason I ask is because I get the image that many of you know quite a bit about computers are quite good with them. I personally don't think I know very much and honestly know very little about different computer components or Pentium vs AMD, etc. I really like to talk to others about headphones and music and that's primarily why I'm here; I don't belong to IRC (that's a sort of chatroom, right?). But I am probably open to trying new things, if anyone would enlighten me.
But I'm nevertheless a geek, too, you know- in more ways than one!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

In short, I'm curious as to how well you know computers. Do you build them? Do you know the technical aspect? Or can you not even print a document? Are you here just for the headphones and discussion? And for the record, I'm just posting this poll out of curiosity, I have nothing against anyone who likes computers and don't stereotype them as nerds, etc. Some of my friends are into computers and I obviously have nothing against them.

And I know all of you love headphones and music, so that is implied. I just would like to know about computer literacy. And no answer is necessarily better than another; you won't be crucified if it is discovered that you've named your PC Ginger, but people are still allowed to wonder . . .
tongue.gif

So vote in le poll . . . . . And tell us about it with a post!

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 34
I voted "pretty literate". I've put together my current system on my own, sometimes with the help of the often craptastic manuals. But I fall short of being the expert because I never have learned to write programs.

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 34
Alright, alright . . . who voted "I live in the Matrix"?!?
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
tongue.gif

I see another such vote!!!
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
tongue.gif

I think it was the only choice up there that accuratly describes my level of knowledge. I understand not just how to fix a computer, or build one, I know how a good bit of the actual components work. Heck I can even pretty much tell you the technical differences between AMD/Intel processors and why they are better at different things. I love to understand how things work, allthough I could never actually design a computer from the ground up. Except for code, uuugh. I am mych more into the hardware part of computers.

And no, I have not named my laptop. It is a tool, not a person.

Nov 1, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 34
I can put them together, fix them up, bend the software to my needs most of the time, and have some basic programming skills. I'm more knowledgeable on the hardware side of things and can list advantages/disadvantages of chips, chipsets, memory types, etc, as well as the circuit designs on the boards. I get kinda lost on networks though, but I'm working on that.

Nov 1, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
I get kinda lost on networks though, but I'm working on that.

Yes, my family always looks to me for computer needs, but when it comes to networks I shudder and pee my pants (no not literally). There's something about them that I can't troubleshoot %100... that's when I turn to the heaven's and begin chanting latin.

Nov 1, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 34
This pretty much describes 90% of my time on a computer, and I am certainly not an expert. But, in the last 12 months I have learned at lot by reading, listening to others, and asking a lot of questions. I find it amazing how much you can learn by just shutting your mouth, and opening your ears!

Nov 1, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 34
I build them and program them but when people need help I play dumb. I'm an embedded programmer and I can always think of a dozen reasons why 10 years of experience at that doesn't mean I know how to fix an Excel macro.

The way around this trick is for the asker to look sympathetic and say "I'll ask X, apparently he's really good with computers".

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 34
I can navigate around my puter okay, just don't ask me to install a driver or something like that. I could probably learn to, but I'd rather just listen to some tunes.
md

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 34
I voted for the Matrix. Slashdot user #57001

I've been building computer since the days when we had to set jumpers. Can troubleshoot individual components and explain theory of their operation. Intel,AMD, Motorola, IBM PPC and POWER4...they're all good.

I have rudimentary programming skills that help me bend servers to my will. I'm competent with Win 3.11 to 2000 Enterprise (still learning the quirks of XP), Netware, Linux, AIX, Ultirx, SCO, Unixware and BSD and get get around just fine on Suns, Macs and Vaxen. I want to learn the IBM S390 "Mainframe" just so I can say know how (big iron's cool). I have an AS400 in my basement.

My real domain is network systems; I just love troubleshooting and optimizing them. And making above operating systems talk to eachother over them. I've designed city-wide wireless data networks (for an isp).

I had an Internet e-mail address in 1990 and a Bitnet e-mail addr. in 1988. Any of you remember UUCP mail? FidoNet? Were you ever a hard core Amiga fan? I miss my Amiga 500.

Somehow, in my part of the country, I'm unemployed and having a hell of a time finding a job. "Overqualified" is a very frustrating word when the mortgage corp. is hollering at you.

Phreon

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 34
What? Only one other person has a name for their computer? Mine is Red Thunder. (As indicated by the LEDs that twinkle in its air-vents.)

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 34
well, when we were getting a new computer, I dived into the subject for a couple of months, to learn which stuff to get and what the differences are and why. and when I'm up for a new one again, I'll dig into it again and build my own. but I don't keep up.

I have pretty much zero knowledge of software tho. and I too, am afraid of networks. it always feels like I'm keeping everything together with cellotape which keeps getting loose all the time, but I can't find the duct-tape. if ya catch my analogy. I can make it work and fix it up, but it's never perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back