Your Degree of Computer Literacy . . . . .
Nov 3, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #31 of 34
Well, my goal is something approaching Phreon's level of literacy (an AS/400? hey, the local electronics shop has the case of one of those monsters, complete with cool red emergency power off switch... if I had space, I'd try to convince my dad to buy it, not sure if I'd be successful though; "YOU WANT ME TO PAY HOW MUCH FOR A STEEL BOX because it has a RED POWER SWITCH?!?!"), though I have to admit I'm not even close... I do tend to be the person people ask for tech support - and I'm young and naeive enough to give it willingly
rolleyes.gif

I'm fluent in Windows (3.1 to 2000, **** XP), DOS, everything up to and including Mac OS 10, Apple IIe, TI-89, Adobe Photoshop (even v7), Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, Cool Edit 2000, and I'm able to use most *nixes reasonably competently (just got my first Debian server set up, be proud of me
wink.gif
).

I'm of course also heavily into DIY, thanks to these forums; I'm not sure if that (like my locksmithing ability) counts, though.

Nov 3, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #32 of 34
phreon, i'm in the same boat - 29 years computer technician and i can't find a $10 an hour job. so what am i gonna do - say goodbye to computers. here in arizona they're paying $25k for mcse's and $40k for admins with 5 years experience. thanks, but i'd rather drive a city bus or deliver the mail for $20 an hour ($40k a year). heck, you can make more money driving a cab. and don't get me started on certifications - useless without experience and useless with.

in nyc you can sell coffee and donuts from stands or frankfurters and pop (soda) and make $100k a year. so why bother with computers?

look for a new field - home theatre installs, solar panel install, snow removal, pool install, etc. - anything but computers - the computer field is dead. it won't resurrect until 2004.

as to computers - they all must have names. but if you right click your "my computer" desktop icon and go to properties - did you put a name there?

personally, i don't name my computers - i name my cars. my last truck was Mabel and my present miata is Debbie
wink.gif
i curse my computers when they mess up - but i never curse at my cars - and that's the difference
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #33 of 34
I am going into 3rd year university for computer science right now, but I never programmed anything outside of school in my life. Something tells me programming is not where my carrer is headed lol. I've also been trying to create a website to showcase my talents, but I'm so lazy... oh and I hate theories and proving things.

And so go's my life. :p

Egbert.

Nov 3, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #34 of 34
This is in the UK, so probably vastly different to anywhere else, but here, it is still very much programming where the money still is...

Going back a few years admittedly, but I remember seeing a job advertised for an ASP programmer, with a starting salary of $750,000
eek.gif

I've been told in each job i've had, that I should myself concentrate on computers as my career, but whilst I can do repairs, installations, networking, and fault tracing with ease... that isn't where the money is in the UK
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back