Your career and education-- related at all?
Dec 20, 2005 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Meifa

100+ Head-Fier
Idly wondering how many people really wind up in their field of study when they enter the professional world. What do you do for a living? Is it what you studied for in college? If you didn't go to college, are you doing what you imagined you would be doing when you were younger?

For the record, I'm a college student, so I don't have to answer.
tongue.gif
(I'm an academic type, anyway, so I'm boring.)

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 62
So far I've been working in the same lines as my field of study. I study at the Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music at NYU, and the business I've been doing with my long-time friend (we're forming a company focusing on multimedia production using techniques we invented, using the wonderful world of technology as our third hand) and the job I work in radio both fit my college education thus far. But, then again, in a program as specialized and exclusive as mine, you basically have to know that your field will be in that general area before you begin studying there.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 62
I went to law school and was a lawyer for 3 years.

Then I quit to get my MBA. I plan on being an investment banker.

My undergraduate degree in international economics was very useful for both.

Best regards,

-Jason

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 62
I studied accouting, law, taxation, and finance/investments, and have taught at the college level in all of these areas. I've never actively practiced in the law or tax areas but don't think (for me anyway) that I missed that much.

For several years, I worked in the private banking sector, mostly as an accountant and financial analyst, but was involved in arranging some complicated structures for clients that did involve significant legal and tax implications.

When I was in graduate school, I didn't have the attitude that my career would necessarily follow what I had studied, and always figured that the primary focus of my career would be as an educator, so the more you've studied the merrier.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 62
Studied philosophy and now I'm a philosopher. I'll bet that a very high percentage of people who go to grad school or professional school get jobs in what they studied.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 62
I studied Biochemistry/Molecular Biology and Philosophy in undergrad.

Now I'm a Special Education teacher, amongst couple of other things.

So no, I'm not doing what I studied in college.

EDIT - I did, however, go to grad school for Special Education.

Dec 20, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 62
I'm studying Political science with a minor in legal reasoning. Planning on going into some form of international law (hopefully become an ambassador).

for the past 4 years i've been working with my family in the factory business across the border, in Mexico. It's great and good money, but i dont want to do it the rest of my life.

Dec 20, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Studied philosophy and now I'm a philosopher. I'll bet that a very high percentage of people who go to grad school or professional school get jobs in what they studied.

this sounds very interesting, what is it that you do? Do you teach? I didn't know philisophy could be made into a career.

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 62
I went to school and studied computer sciences, specifically network engineering, now I manage an auto parts store. I am trying to get my own computer business off the ground though, if that counts for anything.

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
this sounds very interesting, what is it that you do? Do you teach? I didn't know philisophy could be made into a career.

Well, someone has to work in the philosophy departments.
Tenure, on the other hand, is not so easy for that field.
Yet, I think he works for one of the U.C.s (mentioned Derrida a bit ago)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back