Your best W5000 mods...
May 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
I like the sound and comfort of the W5000...but the headspace can be a tad claustrophobic (at least in comparison to the K701, which are easier to listen to).

I know there are some very inventive forum members here. What are your preferred mods for the W5000? Any that show promise with the headspace issue? Any mods that are reversible?

May 1, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what you mean by headspace, if what I think, may be phatpad mod.

I stuffed the ample leather earpieces with long strips of foam. At first, testing with an iPod (my computer was offline), the sound seemed unnatural, almost tinny. Now, however, the tendency to boom has been replaced with a fuller tone, with more of that characteristic Audio-Technica sound offering enhanced treble detail. Moreover, additional bass detail is audible down to 50 cycles.

Still, quite comfortable, though somewhat warmer. Good tip!

May 1, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 13
I put very thin plastic covered tie wire in the hinge of the wings (where they attach to the top of the cups) to stop them from moving upwards.
- REVERSIBLE
I then bent the bars at the middle of the very top.
- UNREVERSIBLE (I think)

May 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 13
Fitz mod is the best!
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 13
My best mod was....to sell it
wink.gif

Seriously though - the three mods which come to mind:
- phatpads
- bend the headband
- elastic bands around the wings

May 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 13
Fitting problem: A simple piece of tissue under the problem regions of the pads. Same effect as violent bending of the headband, but reversable.

May 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first, testing with an iPod (my computer was offline), the sound seemed unnatural, almost tinny.

There's no need to stuff the W5000 earpads with anything, they are already fluffy. Its earpads have more fluffiness than the L3000, W2002, AD2000 or most other AT headphones I've tried.

I would expect the W5000 to sound bad with an iPod.

A better source and amp is the best mod for the W5000.

May 1, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 13
Elephas;4157255 A better source and amp is the best mod for the W5000.[/QUOTE said:
I have a quite a good source and amp, but the pads just did not sit on my ears at all (only about 25%) and the sound went straight to the top of my ears. I did play around with them till i found the right angle and sound and then bended accordingly. Vertical adjustment from the manafacturer would have been great (or normal?). Must be some reason i guess (perhaps not to go near the timber cups and leave them be would be my inexperienced guess)

May 1, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 13
"on" your ears ? unless I have strangely small ears, they're supposed to be circum-aural, my ears fit entirely inside the pads, which themselves seal against my skull. they do also sit slightly low overall on my head, with the headband tilted very slightly forward... perfect fit & no mods required. It is well worth playing around to find good positioning, and if you didn't know, the pads themselves are not of uniform thickness and can be rotated, though I expect wear-in would eventually conform them to your head anyway.

May 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Great mods. The Fitz mod seems like it would increase bass, but I want exactly the opposite - zero boom, high detail. The drivers aren't that much farther from my ears; it's more like the foam is absorbing excess sound. For some reason, more types of music are satisfactory now.

I listen using several different sources, including CD, stereo, and even my iMac. Unfortunately, I really need to upgrade my amp.

May 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no need to stuff the W5000 earpads with anything, they are already fluffy. Its earpads have more fluffiness than the L3000, W2002, AD2000 or most other AT headphones I've tried.

X2, bending headband is all you need. To prevent ears from hitting driver grill just move them slightly forward so that pads sit on the ears, not fully surround them. Have to do the same with AD2000 too. BTW, during my testing I found that phatpad negatively affect the sound. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back