Your Album of the Month
Jul 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #151 of 321
Quote:
Saw Boris perform Flood live earlier this year. I'm still trying to process it. It totally blew me away.

I can believe that it was quite the experience. I never go to live concerts myself but Boris is certainly one of the few artists I would be interested in seeing if I was presented with an opportunity to do so.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #152 of 321
If they ever turn up in your area I'd highly recommend it. Just don't forget your earplugs. 
Quote:

I can believe that it was quite the experience. I never go to live concerts myself but Boris is certainly one of the few artists I would be interested in seeing if I was presented with an opportunity to do so.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #153 of 321
Quote:
If they ever turn up in your area I'd highly recommend it. Just don't forget your earplugs.

Yes I meant but forgot to add that I would definitely be wearing a pair of good earplugs to any kind of non-acoustic music performance, especially Boris.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #154 of 321
Wow, what a busy month, and the next one is bound to be busier, I've started an intensive summer course on electronics today. As for the ever important music, in between the business of it all it is difficult to get into new stuff (that is much more time consuming), so I've relegated to the usual Charly Garcia, Soda Stereo, No Doubt, Rachmaminoff, NIN (can't wait for the new album), Frou Frou, et al; familiar things get the job done quickly. With such potpourri, there wasn't really a distinct Album of the Month for me, despite all the pleasure that it brings to listen old loved tunes, so I'll take advantage of the occasion to share something I've wanted to share for a while.

Final Fantasy X

This is 3 minutes shy of being four hours and a half worth of music, so I did a playlist with the more than few tracks that are worth listening to. If you are a Final Fantasy X fan, even the Victory! tune will be a roller coaster of good memories of the time spent playing this marvelous game, which is due to be remastered soon, by the way; but I've tried my best at distilling it as much as possible for the general listener.

And as always, thanks for all the recommendations, this has become a pretty much failproof place to try out new things, at least for me.

edit: grammar.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #155 of 321
One that I'm using at the moment for reviewing some earphones. Great songs and beautifully recorded.

Bowers++Wilkins+Very+Audiophile+New+Recordings+Front.jpg

Tracklist:

Allan Taylor / Colour To The Moon
Sara.k / Would You Break My Heart
The Spirit Of Gambo / La Garmbo in Tenor
Steve Strauss / Flesh and Blood
Mike Silver / Old Fashioned Satturday Night
The Spirit Of Gambo / Martin Minoit son Portian au Marche
Allan Tayloe / Wheel of Fortune
Steve Strauss / Mr.Bones
Sara.k / Turned My Upside Down
Chris Jones / Long After You'er Gone
Paul Stephensan / If You Want My Love
Steve Strauss / The Puppet Opera

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #157 of 321

Sometimes, you just can't beat the classics.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #158 of 321
Quote:
Wow, what a busy month, and the next one is bound to be busier, I've started an intensive summer course on electronics today. As for the ever important music, in between the business of it all it is difficult to get into new stuff (that is much more time consuming), so I've relegated to the usual Charly Garcia, Soda Stereo, No Doubt, Rachmaminoff, NIN (can't wait for the new album), Frou Frou, et al; familiar things get the job done quickly. With such potpourri, there wasn't really a distinct Album of the Month for me, despite all the pleasure that it brings to listen old loved tunes, so I'll take advantage of the occasion to share something I've wanted to share for a while.

Final Fantasy X

This is 3 minutes shy of being four hours and a half worth of music, so I did a playlist with the more than few tracks that are worth listening to. If you are a Final Fantasy X fan, even the Victory! tune will be a roller coaster of good memories of the time spent playing this marvelous game, which is due to be remastered soon, by the way; but I've tried my best at distilling it as much as possible for the general listener.

Tanoshimu!

And as always, thanks for all the recommendations, this has become a pretty much failproof place to try out new things, at least for me.

edit: grammar.

Check out Joe Hisaishi's stuff. you'll probably like him, if you like FF soundtracks.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #160 of 321
Jack White - Blunderbuss.
Absolutely wonderful vinyl. I couldn't believe how good it sounded actually... I feel this is Jack White's best work to date. Serious, yet not weighed down by obtuse or pretentious lyrics. Straight forward without being too "pop"-py sounding...
Song: Sixteen Saltines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsixWMdScUI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #163 of 321

Female-fronted death industrial. Listen to it *loud.*

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #164 of 321
The Chariot- Long Live

THECHARIOT_longliveCover.jpg

This one is one of the best hardcore releases of the last couple years IMHO. Their first 3 albums, while still really good, lacked a certain "oomph". But on this one they nailed it. It's angry, it's chaotic and full of raw emotion and power, I really can't get enough of it. It also helps that they recorded the album live in a really impresive so they sound their most raw (their best) I got introduced to them last year with they're album One Wing, which is as good if not technically better, but something about Long Live just stuck with me. Extremely recommended for hardcore fans.Also the band has officialy disbaned and are doing a goodbye tour around october. And I'll never have the pleasure of seing them but from videos I can tell you the are one of the most intense live bands, they give 500% every show
Long Live The Chariot
Here's a video of when they recorded David De La Hoz (halve of the tracks are named after fans that won a contest they made) which is really fun to watch and makes me love them even more. The music is not for everyone and they're 1000 valid reasons why you might not like it, but they're worth checking out for sure

Glad that I found this thread, Cheers!

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #165 of 321
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left​

I got my very first turntable finally set up this month and I've spent most of the month revisiting some of my old favorites on vinyl. It's extremely hard to pick out just one album from such a large group of solid contenders, but ultimately it was Nick Drake's debut that I thought stood out best from the incredible time I've had with vinyl. Other album that I considered was Sunbather by Deafheaven but since that has already been mentioned in this thread I thought it would have been an uninteresting choice. That album I can barely listen to in its digital form but the 45rpm vinyl is truly something else. But enough about everything else that isn't the masterpiece Five Leaves Left.

Is it a masterpiece then? Maybe. It does come very close at least and is my favorite of the three albums Mr. Drake managed to put out before his untimely death. His departure was truly one of the biggest losses in the history of contemporary music. I ranked the album as one of my ten all-time favorite albums a couple of years ago in one of the threads here on Head-Fi. I'm not sure if that position still stands, but the album is surely one of my treasured favorites. The content is very stripped-down folk music with some songs also containing non-intrusive orchestral accompaniment. If you've never heard of this highly essential classic record you should check it out immediately.

As an interesting side note Boris, the group behind my previous album of the month pick, has named Nick Drake as one of their more important influences. Connections like these are very fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back