Your Album of the Month
Jan 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #78 of 321
Although the month is not over, I am ready to declare my personal Album Of The Month. It is this:

Stars Of The Lid - And Their Refinement Of The Decline (2007)

Some folks may have been listening to this for years, but I never heard it until earlier this month via a tip here at Head-Fi. Since then, I've listened to it almost every night through headphones. I don't think I've ever made it all the way through in one session without falling asleep, but I mean that as high praise. It is a double CD, so it runs two hours, and with track titles like, "Dopamine Clouds Over Craven Cottage," "Even If You're Never Awake," and "The Daughters Of Quiet Minds;" falling asleep isn't necessarily an unexpected result. So far, I haven't spent much time with this music in the daytime or through my speaker rig. I put it on late at night, listen through headphones, and it is fabulous. It is my personal Album Of The Month.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #79 of 321
images

Earlier this month I finally found a CD of this album. "in the space of a few minutes" by Telstar Ponies from 1995. I have the original vinyl, but I haven't been able to listening to it for almost ten years since my vinyl rig is packed away for better times. So this month this album has been getting plenty of head time.

Telstar Ponies was a Scottish band that barely existed and I was probably one of the few who bought both of their vinyl releases back then. It is pre Mogwai, very industrial, melodic noise/ambient rock type of music. 

I'm pleased to see that they finally within the past couple of years have received more and more recognition for the two albums they released and completely overlooked back in the mid-90's. A true masterpieces with their unique sound. A wall of distorted and beautiful sounding guitars presented in so many layers that I can't help listening to it over and over.

A truly lost classic and my January gem from the past

http://soundblab.com/content/content/view/id/4526

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #80 of 321
I believe that I'll be using this to coax myself to sleep tonight--this one has been a mainstay for me ever since it came out.
Quote:
Although the month is not over, I am ready to declare my personal Album Of The Month. It is this:

Stars Of The Lid - And Their Refinement Of The Decline (2007)

Some folks may have been listening to this for years, but I never heard it until earlier this month via a tip here at Head-Fi. Since then, I've listened to it almost every night through headphones. I don't think I've ever made it all the way through in one session without falling asleep, but I mean that as high praise. It is a double CD, so it runs two hours, and with track titles like, "Dopamine Clouds Over Craven Cottage," "Even If You're Never Awake," and "The Daughters Of Quiet Minds;" falling asleep isn't necessarily an unexpected result. So far, I haven't spent much time with this music in the daytime or through my speaker rig. I put it on late at night, listen through headphones, and it is fabulous. It is my personal Album Of The Month.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #81 of 321
Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators - Apocalyptic Love

Modern classic rock album.

Track Listing:

Apocalyptic Love​
One Last Thrill​
Standing In The Sun​
You're A Lie​
No More Heroes​
Halo​
We  Will Roam​
Anastasia​
Not For Me​
Bad Rain​
Hard & Fast​
Far And Away​
Shots Fired​

slashapocalypticlovecover.jpeg

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #83 of 321
Nice contributions guys.

For this month.

Micachu and the Shapes - [size=small]Jewellry[/size]

A exquisitely wacky album, albeit somewhat short in duration. It took me a couple of listens, but in the end I got to move my ass to these (very) catchy and uncomprehended grooves. Watch out for those bass thumps and the squealing on this track. They are quite something to look at "live" too.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #84 of 321
For sitting around I have quite enjoyed the workings of Chopin

Daniel Barenboim - Chopin:Nocturnes  (not sure if I can post pictures since I am new to the forum but have been reading for a bit now)

Even though I listen to more upbeat/mainstream stuff while out and about, I like to listen to this for some relaxation.  It is just soothing to me

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #85 of 321

Richard Skelton: Verse of Birds

For me personally, this classical-tinged ambient record captures perfectly the feeling of lying on your back in a weedy field on an overcast, cool, very windy day. I've never visited the Hebrides, or the heath-lands of the British Isles, but I romanticize Skelton's music as being the soundtrack for such terrain. Going to try syncing this up to Andrea Arnold's recent adaptation of Wuthering Heights in the near future. :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #86 of 321
Wow, some folks are getting their album of the month picks in really early this month! 
blink.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #88 of 321
My Spanish teacher led me to this one, Hello Seahorse's Arunima.
Hello+Seahorse+Arunima.jpg

She played the first song, Bien Viaje, for us because of an assignment related to it (simple translation stuff) , but I got the whole album after realizing how awesome the first song was. I got hooked mainly due to its awesome vocals (a hot lead singer also helps). If anyone's into Spanish language music, is Latino, or needs something musical for Spanish class, here you go.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #89 of 321
Moods of Old New Orleans by Louisiana Repertory Jazz Ensemble.
Excellent recording - Early Binaural I think and very much a 'demo' quality disc

51PVAYF3WBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back