Your Album of the Month
Apr 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #227 of 321

Hey Joe, I know I'm late but would like to share my love for this album and the band Marillion. My favorite band. Geat review too from your blog. I'm subscribing :)

Just saw this! Glad to hear it man! I've just updated it today.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #229 of 321
cymbals-album-cover-the-age-of-fracture.jpg
  Cymbals - The Age of Fracture

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #230 of 321
John Coltrane - Sun Ship​

John Coltrane is my favorite musician of all time. I'm not even going to go into all the reasons why, but let it be said that his position on the top for me is uncontested and likely to never change. I have around thirty Coltrane albums and want many, many more before my collection is going to be satisfactory. Even thirty albums is not enough to contain all the vital recordings of this great man, and one of the big omissions from my library has for years now been Sun Ship. Recently that shortcoming was however finally rectified and I must say I have really been missing out.

For some reason I was always under the assumption this album was one of Coltrane's sessions with a larger ensemble, but it is in fact a studio date with his classic quartet featuring McCoy Tyner on piano, Jimmy Garrison on double bass, and Elvin Jones on drums. Released posthumously, Sun Ship features five cuts of avant-garde jazz of the highest order in a similar vein to A Love Supreme recorded a year earlier and also reminding me a lot of one of my favorite Coltrane records of all time, the much-overlooked Crescent. Falling musically somewhere between the avant-garde jazz records Coltrane did around the mid-60s and the full-blown free jazz stuff that followed, Sun Ship features much more furious and "free" playing from the whole group than had been heard before on a classic quartet date: Coltrane's solos are more ferocious than on many prior records, McCoy Tyner is on fire as always, but especially Elvin Jones' drumming is particularly spectacular on this date.

Overall I find the album to be near perfect. There aren't really any real shortcomings that I can name and the musicianship is high throughout. This is truly an example of the classic John Coltrane Quartet at their peak. Shortly after this Coltrane would move on to mostly larger ensembles and take his music even further than it had ever been taken, stopping only when death took him prematurely in 1967 – less than two years after this album was recorded.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #231 of 321
Cool thread. There are several amazing albums that have come my way this month. If I have to choose just one, it will be:

I've always enjoyed Pat Metheny but this one is one of the best and exceptionally well recorded. The 24/96 version will floor you...

Just got this album from HDTrack today and wow! This Pat Metheny with a great Jazz band at is best. Very very good. Thank you!

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #232 of 321
^^ Glad you like it. I've given it about 10 spins and I like it more each time. My next album is Sarah Jarosz: Build Me UP from Bones. 

May 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #235 of 321

Peter Bradley Adams - Leavetaking

I really, really like this album. And it sounds exceptional with headphone as well, the sound doesn't seem to be stuck in your head.

May 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #237 of 321

With every year that passes it just gets better and better, and more beautiful.

May 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #240 of 321
Okay, for May I'll put my hat in for the new Natalie Merchant self titled album. Great album and incredibly well recorded. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back