Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Oct 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5,146 of 6,671

(full image http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/63/63819d00_1egFy.jpeg) Some CD's i've been meaning to buy, some I knew I would like, and others i've seen the album cover a million times and heard talk online about. Either way they will all be interesting and hopefully worthwhile.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #5,148 of 6,671
Stereolab - Sound Dust, Elektra
Beethoven / Quatuor Talich - Intégrale des quatuors, Calliope
Liberation Music Orchestra - Not in our name, Verve
Schubert / Dietrisch Fischer-Dieskau, Gerald Moore - The Song Cycles, Deutsche Grammophon
Schumann / Laurent Cabasso - Piano works (Kreisleriana, Fantasiestücke, Bunte Blätter, Nachstücke, Gesange der Frühe), naïve

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #5,150 of 6,671
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Kanye West - My Dark Twisted Fantasy
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.a.a.d. City
Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
Kanye West - Cruel Summer

biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5,151 of 6,671

Burzum - Det som engang var                                       deadmau5 - 4x4=12

Massive Attack - Protection                                    Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Wintersun - Time I [limited edition, CD+DVD]

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5,153 of 6,671
Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
Randy Newman - Randy Newman
Wagner / Bernard Haitink - Die Walküre
Vieux Gaultier / Hopkinson Smith - Pièces de luth
Ousmane Sacko & Yakaré Diabaté - "La nuit des griots"

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #5,154 of 6,671
Dark Tranquility - Haven (Blue LPs)
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Purple Marbled LPs)
Burial - Kindred (LP)
Queen - The Game (LP)
David Bowie - BBC Archives 68-72 (1 Blue Marbled, 1 White, 1 Purple Marbled LPs)

I now have 2 copies of OB4CL. This legit one and my older promo. Burial was the favorite find, Bowie was the gem though. I bought it for the girlfriend as she's a huge Bowie fan but did not expect such a great package.

Best looking of the bunch is the Bowie white LP. Completely black labels (no text) on white vinyl is gorgeous.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #5,155 of 6,671
Orbs- Asleep Next To Science
The Contortionist- Intrinsic

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #5,156 of 6,671
Borrowed a few Clapton CD's.....
461 Ocean Boulevard
August
Journeyman
Pilgrim

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #5,158 of 6,671

Adele - Skyfall                                        Godspeed You! Black Emperor
                                                                                        'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Isabelle Faust - Bach: Sonatas & Partitas Vol. 2                     Jack White - Blunderbuss

The London Steve Reich Ensemble
               Reich: Different Trains

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #5,159 of 6,671
Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious
Ip Man Soundtrack
Trust Company - Dreaming in Black and White

Also for those who have heard Skyfall, is it me or do the vocals sound a bit too 'shouty' to me?  Or is Skyfall a victim of the loudness wars?  I really can't stand the segment 3.37 - 3.43 - it gets WAY too loud and the orchestra behind sounds like a congested mess.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #5,160 of 6,671
Quote:
Also for those who have heard Skyfall, is it me or do the vocals sound a bit too 'shouty' to me?  Or is Skyfall a victim of the loudness wars?  I really can't stand the segment 3.37 - 3.43 - it gets WAY too loud and the orchestra behind sounds like a congested mess.

Here are the waveforms for the vocal and instrumental versions, plus a picture which shows a zoomed in portion of the vocal version near one of the points where it hits +1.0. The red vertical lines indicate where a sample hits either +1.0 or -1.0. The CD version for the original song has clearly been peak limited to make it louder and it does sound somewhat squashed when you listen to it, but compared to a hell of a lot of other recordings I have this isn't actually all that bad really. As you can see, the quieter sections are quite dynamic, so only the loudest parts of the song have suffered. With a lot of music I have the entire song looks just like the loudest parts of the vocal version, and often even worse, so I wouldn't call Skyfall a victim of the loudness war; this is just how majority of recordings are mastered these days. That's a bit sad but when I think back to recordings that were released about ten years ago things have actually gotten A LOT better for the most part.

Edit

For comparison here's the waveform for one of the tracks (Love Interruption) on Jack White's Blunderbuss. I haven't listened to the album yet, so I can't comment on how it sounds, but I sure wish a lot more albums were mastered like this one with all of the peaks preserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back