Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Sep 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,071 of 6,671
just the 2 today..

The Faceless- Autotheism
When Our Time Comes- Test The Waters EP

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #5,073 of 6,671
Quote:
I have both CD and vinyl and IMO they both sound pretty terrible. It's super unforunate but they both have next to no dynamic range and are just poorly mastered.

They definitely left more to be desired as far as dynamic range goes especially considering that its a largely acoustic album but I wouldn't go as far to say as it sounds terrible. It has decent dynamic range when compared to the other music released today but it would benefit from more. But what song released today doesn't need more dynamic range? All in all its some great music played by some talented musicians.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5,074 of 6,671
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=6590 CD
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=7445 LP

The LP is significantly better dynamic range wise but it's still barely above the middle of the spectrum. The biggest problem is the recording. It's just not good enough for music like that. Heavily distorted rock, sure...but not folky stuff.

Quote:
 They definitely left more to be desired as far as dynamic range goes especially considering that its a largely acoustic album but I wouldn't go as far to say as it sounds terrible. It has decent dynamic range when compared to the other music released today but it would benefit from more. But what song released today doesn't need more dynamic range? All in all its some great music played by some talented musicians.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5,075 of 6,671
Fear Factory- The Industrialist.

T Rex- Electric Warrior

Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This (Remastered)
The Very Best Of Lou Reed

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5,076 of 6,671
Quote:
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=6590 CD
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=7445 LP

The LP is significantly better dynamic range wise but it's still barely above the middle of the spectrum. The biggest problem is the recording. It's just not good enough for music like that. Heavily distorted rock, sure...but not folky stuff.

I completely agree. All we can do is hope that one day dynamics come back and the music of this age is remastered with more dynamics unlike the remasters of today which decrease the dynamic range of the original recordings.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #5,077 of 6,671
I finally have five CD purchases to report. Damn digital only releases have kept me quite busy lately.

Billy Joel - The Stranger [Mobile Fidelity hybrid SACD]
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis Again [Analogue Productions hybrid SACD]
Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette - My Foolish Heart: Live at Montreux [2 CDs]
Steven Isserlis - Bach: The Cello Suites [2 CDs]
Tritonal - Piercing the Quiet: Remixed [2 CDs, limited edition signed copy]

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #5,078 of 6,671
This week I had to update myself on the current "dreampop" situation so I picked these relative new CD releases. I can certainly vouch for them all and each are highly recommendable for those who enjoys this genre.

Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Destroyer -  Kaputt
Beach House - Bloom
Real Estate - Days
The XX - Coexist

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5,079 of 6,671
Yay to random cd purchases!

Megalithic Symphony, Awolnation

Baby Caught The Bus, Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes  -  Love the Heineken CM with them

James Blake, James Blake

Up Close, Ottmar Liebert

Endgame, Rise Against

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5,080 of 6,671
Best Buy $5 section strikes again...

Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute
Phil Collins - Face Value
Otis Redding - Love Songs
The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes
Tenacious D - Tenacious D
Sly & The Family Stone - Small Talk
T.Rex - Electric Warrior
Outkast - Big Boi & Dre Present...
Heart - Little Queen
Prince - Parade
Styx - Pieces of Eight
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Deep Purple - Machine Head
REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity
The Clash - Cut the Crap

Oh, and I got the Whip It soundtrack on pink vinyl as a gift recently.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #5,081 of 6,671
Quote:
Best Buy $5 section strikes again...

Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute
Phil Collins - Face Value
Otis Redding - Love Songs
The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes
Tenacious D - Tenacious D
Sly & The Family Stone - Small Talk
T.Rex - Electric Warrior
Outkast - Big Boi & Dre Present...
Heart - Little Queen
Prince - Parade
Styx - Pieces of Eight
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Deep Purple - Machine Head
REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity
The Clash - Cut the Crap

Oh, and I got the Whip It soundtrack on pink vinyl as a gift recently.

A very nice purchase and also a very interesting combination. My personal five choice picks out of your 15-20 CD's would be the T.Rex, Jeff Buckley, The Doors, Tom Petty, Deep Purple. I would surely take the Clash if it was a different album :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #5,082 of 6,671
The stack was 2-3 times bigger before I put some stuff back. :D Best Buy recently moved a lot of good stuff to the cheap sections. I'm sure I'll be back pretty soon to get more.

My tops were...
The Doors
Heart
Outkast
Jeff Buckley
Otis Redding

They're all damn near on equal footing though. I only get stuff I know I'll like (although The Clash was for the girlfriend). She's been wanting more Punk stuff so I grabbed it. While I love Punk music I think Punk recordings are stupid. If it's not a show I really don't want to listen to it.

Quote:
A very nice purchase and also a very interesting combination. My personal five choice picks out of your 15-20 CD's would be the T.Rex, Jeff Buckley, The Doors, Tom Petty, Deep Purple. I would surely take the Clash if it was a different album :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5,083 of 6,671
Quote:
The stack was 2-3 times bigger before I put some stuff back. :D Best Buy recently moved a lot of good stuff to the cheap sections. I'm sure I'll be back pretty soon to get more.

My tops were...
The Doors
Heart
Outkast
Jeff Buckley
Otis Redding

They're all damn near on equal footing though. I only get stuff I know I'll like (although The Clash was for the girlfriend). She's been wanting more Punk stuff so I grabbed it. While I love Punk music I think Punk recordings are stupid. If it's not a show I really don't want to listen to it.

Pick up "London Calling" by the Clash if they have it on sale maybe not quite defined by being pure "punk" in my book, but certainly one of the best and most inspiring rock album's of the 80's. or late 70's and to a certain degree helped defined indie/alternative rock later on.  I just felt that "Cut the Crap" was their maybe worst album :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back