Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jun 22, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #17 of 6,671
On the Banks of Helicon-Early Scotish Music (Dorian)
The Best of Gipsy Kings (Atlantic)
J. Nepomuk Hummel-Piano Works (Dynamic)
Magic Flutes and Music From the Andes (EUCD)
Famine Remembrance (Windham Hill)

Jun 22, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 6,671
Cripes, I've picked up over 30 albums in the last three weeks (believe it or not, I'm more addicted to acquiring new music than I am equipment).

The newer acquisitions most frequently on my current playlist include:
  1. Ana Caram's Blue Bossa hybrid SACD/CD (Chesky SACD226)
  2. Sony SACD Two-channel & Multi-Channel Demonstration Disc hybrid SACD/CD (Sony / Groove Note GRV1013): I picked this one up at the Stereophile show in New York from Elusive Disc. Scott at Elusive Disc told me that this is a fairly uncommon disc, and actually made by Groove Note Records, commissioned by Sony (Sony currently presses only single layer SACDs). I'm not sure how uncommon it is, but it's a great listen.
  3. Telarc's Telarc Classical: Celebrating 25 Years (2-CD set; Telarc CD-80611-A & CD-80611-B): This was a press gift from the folks from the Stereophile show. Though free, I have a feeling it will end up costing me a pretty penny, as this sampler has introduced me to several CDs (and also SACDs) that I know I'll eventually pick up.
  4. Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits (Columbia/Legacy CK 65869)
  5. The Best of Louis Armstrong: The Millennium Collection (MCA MCAD-11940): Though I have several Satchmo recordings, I really liked the track selection on this one.
  6. Claire Martin's Perfect Alibi hybrid SACD/CD (Linn Records AKD 149): Why did I only just find out about this chanteuse now? She's fantastic. My first time hearing her was on the Linn sampler CD I received as one of the Stereophile show gift CDs (see below). I only wish I would have bought the other hybrid SACD of hers (Take My Heart) Elusive Disc had at the show (I'll get it on one of my next orders).
  7. Linn Records (a sample CD of several Linn Records artists; Linn AKP 175): Another free CD from the show that will certainly lead to a few Linn label purchases.
  8. Chesky's An Introduction to SACD hybrid SACD/CD (Chesky SACD204): A very good sampler that will lead to a few more Chesky recordings in my collection down the road. Christy Baron's opening track (Will It Go 'Round in Circles) is a clincher -- her SACD (Steppin') will be mine, as will Dave's True Story's (Unauthorized) .
  9. Patriot Games soundtrack (RCA 07863 66051-2)
  10. Straight, No Chaser original motion picture soundtrack (Thelonius Monk; Columbia/Legacy CK 85812): This is not the same as the standard album Straight, No Chaser.
Is that five yet?

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 6,671
I've been building my rather meagre music collection like crazy since summer began, having bought about fifteen titles in the last few weeks, and I have eight waiting in my basket at BMG online (waiting for a good offer) and nine more at Tower Records online (waiting for my discout card to arrive). Also been doing a lot of listening at Barnes & Noble lately. Some selections:

Rush, Vapor Trails: The only new release I've bought in quite a while.
Led Zeppelin, Box Set (complete studio recordings): Oh yeah, waiting for this to arrive -- shipped nine days ago, according to BMG, so it must be on the slow boat or something. ...
Miles Davis, The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions: I don't own any jazz whatsoever, but have been listening to a lot at stores lately. Loved the sounds on this, and BMG has a good price, so it's coming soon.
Stone Temple Pilots, Purple: Why don't I own this yet?
Joe Satriani, Surfing with the Alien: In the $7.99 rack at Tower's site, so had to pick it up.

kerelybonto

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #20 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Paul McCartney- Driving Rain EMI Records, Limited release..180 gm vinyl,...sealed.

Hi Rick,

How do you like Paul's latest work? I've got pretty much everything from him starting from the Beatles up to now, though I've got to say his latest records became too boring for me.

Something new here? Worth buying?

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 6,671
Here's my list. I didn't actually but these lps, but talked some relatives I've visited into finding a better home for them.
biggrin.gif

Mendelssohn, Symphony No. 3 (Scotch), LP

Mendelssohn, Violin Concertos E Minor, D Minor, LP

Bruckner, Symphony No. 4, Symphony No. 7, 3 LP Boxed Set

Bizet, Carmen Suite No. 1, L'Arlesienne Suites 1 & 2, LP

U2, Under A Red Blood Sky, LP

U2, War, LP

Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother, LP

Moody Blues, This Is The Moody Blues, Double LP Set

Jun 22, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #22 of 6,671
I bought my self the Sony 500V SACD player for Fathers day.

Top Gun soundtrack SACD
Norah Jones (Ravi Shankar's daugheter) Piano +
Santana Abraxas SACD
Divas Live SACD
The Who Ultimate collection
Heart Dreamboat Annie DCC gold (on order)

I have bought about 40 CDs so far this year. Mostly 60's and 70's rock on MFSL label and a few MFSL cassettes and LPs.

Jun 22, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #23 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

so I'll just list five of the LP's that were shipped this week

Rick, did you get these off of Audiogon, eBay? Or can you point me to a link where vinyl is sold.
confused.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #24 of 6,671
All LPs

John Lee Hooker-That's My Story(180G RTI reissue)amazing sound quality.Super silent pressing

Sonny Rollins-Saxaphone Colossus(180G RTI) amazing sound as well.

Miles Davis-Birth of The Cool (Classic 10inch Mono)I have a seperate mono system that I play such recordings on.The sound is stunning in every way.I still can't get over these new mono LPs.A father's day gift from my beautiful wife.

Billie Holiday-Lady in Satin (Classic 45rpm deep groove set)this is the absolute best way to hear music in my opinion.These 45rpm vinyls have very wide and deep grooves and the sound is the best I have ever heard.i have the Jimi Hendrix singles collection on 45rpm vinyl as well and those are the best Hendrix recordings ever as well.

Donny Hathaway-Extension of a Man(used) this is the fantastic debut album of one of the best male soul singers ever.I have been looking for a nice copy for years and found it through one of my many record finder ads.paid big money for this one.

I just bought a bunch of SACDs today but I'll listen and post them later.

Jun 22, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #25 of 6,671
Delurk mode. Hello world!
biggrin.gif

Artie Shaw's - Self Portrait(for my Father, already had mine)
Diana Krall - All For You
Diana Krall - Love Scenes
Diana Krall - Only Trust You Heart
Banjo Hall of Fame
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys- The King of Western swing

plus ordered

Riders In The Sky : Yodel The Cowboy Way (CD)
Riders In The Sky : Cowboy Songs (CD)

Jun 22, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #26 of 6,671
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Cripes, I've picked up over 30 albums in the last three weeks (believe it or not, I'm more addicted to acquiring new music than I am equipment).

The newer acquisitions most frequently on my current playlist include:
  1. Ana Caram's Blue Bossa hybrid SACD/CD (Chesky SACD226)
  2. Sony SACD Two-channel & Multi-Channel Demonstration Disc hybrid SACD/CD (Sony / Groove Note GRV1013): I picked this one up at the Stereophile show in New York from Elusive Disc. Scott at Elusive Disc told me that this is a fairly uncommon disc, and actually made by Groove Note Records, commissioned by Sony (Sony currently presses only single layer SACDs). I'm not sure how uncommon it is, but it's a great listen.
  3. Telarc's Telarc Classical: Celebrating 25 Years (2-CD set; Telarc CD-80611-A & CD-80611-B): This was a press gift from the folks from the Stereophile show. Though free, I have a feeling it will end up costing me a pretty penny, as this sampler has introduced me to several CDs (and also SACDs) that I know I'll eventually pick up.
  4. Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits (Columbia/Legacy CK 65869)
  5. The Best of Louis Armstrong: The Millennium Collection (MCA MCAD-11940): Though I have several Satchmo recordings, I really liked the track selection on this one.
  6. Claire Martin's Perfect Alibi hybrid SACD/CD (Linn Records AKD 149): Why did I only just find out about this chanteuse now? She's fantastic. My first time hearing her was on the Linn sampler CD I received as one of the Stereophile show gift CDs (see below). I only wish I would have bought the other hybrid SACD of hers (Take My Heart) Elusive Disc had at the show (I'll get it on one of my next orders).
  7. Linn Records (a sample CD of several Linn Records artists; Linn AKP 175): Another free CD from the show that will certainly lead to a few Linn label purchases.
  8. Chesky's An Introduction to SACD hybrid SACD/CD (Chesky SACD204): A very good sampler that will lead to a few more Chesky recordings in my collection down the road. Christy Baron's opening track (Will It Go 'Round in Circles) is a clincher -- her SACD (Steppin') will be mine, as will Dave's True Story's (Unauthorized) .
  9. Patriot Games soundtrack (RCA 07863 66051-2)
  10. Straight, No Chaser original motion picture soundtrack (Thelonius Monk; Columbia/Legacy CK 85812): This is not the same as the standard album Straight, No Chaser.
Is that five yet?

[/size]

I felt guilty about taking so much free stuff from CES but I took all the free discs and records that were being handed out.I got a free classic mono at CES.They were unnumbered and have been selling on ebay for $250.00 and higher already.Motto:ALWAYS take the freebies.

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #29 of 6,671
Mostly avant-garde jazz & creative improvisational stuff for me:

Satoko Fujii, Double Take

William Parker's Little Huey Orchestra, Sunrise in the Tone World

Roy Campbell, Ethnic Stew and Brew

William Parker, O'Neal's Porch

DKV/AALY, Double or Nothing

Joel Futterman/Kidd Jordan, Southern Extreme

Jun 22, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #30 of 6,671
- Avril Lavigne - Let go
- Norah Jones - Come away with me
- Holly McNarland - Home is where my feet are