Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Aug 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #6,437 of 6,671
  Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
AWOLNATION - Megalithic Symphony
The Black Keys - El Camino
Skee-lo - I Wish
Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine

I really like Rise Against's take on accessible melodic hardcore (even if melodic hardcore is pretty accessible by default)

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #6,438 of 6,671

I really like Rise Against's take on accessible melodic hardcore (even if melodic hardcore is pretty accessible by default)

I can't seem to find anything like RA that has the same kind of feeling around it. Tim's vocals are incredible; I don't usually like screaming but he does it perfectly, and everything else he sings is wonderful as well of course. He's also got some great lyrics, and they're all very good musicians. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,439 of 6,671
Ok, last part of my big haul. Have picked up even more stuff since then, but I'll get around to that later...

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #6,442 of 6,671
just got these: 

(Cowboy Bebop OST 1)-Yoko Kanno

(Kirby's Dream Collection Soundtrack)-???

(Spiritual State)-Nujabes

(Departures OST)-Joe Hisaishi

(Departure)-Nujabes,FatJon,MINMI

(Spirited Away Image album)- Joe Hisaishi

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #6,443 of 6,671

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #6,447 of 6,671
Haven't purchased much music lately, but here are the latest.

Symbion Project - Immortal Game [10th anniversary limited edition autographed, hand-numbered 2LP]
https://symbionproject.bandcamp.com/album/immortal-game-10th-anniversary-vinyl

I believe I already reported this one when I pre-ordered it all the way back in January. Well, now that the vinyl is finally here I simply must post it again with pix. Kasson was also giving away one of the five test pressing copies to one lucky person who pre-ordered the vinyl, and guess who won it! Picture of test pressing copy no. 3 below, naturally signed by Kasson himself. This is certainly one of the rarest things I own, and something I shall cherish.

Carducci Quartet - Glass: String Quartets nos. 1-4

There are no words to describe how much I love the music of Philip Glass. I have never heard any of his string quartets, so this album was very tempting. I did some quick reading with my phone while at the store and read that this CD by Naxos is fully competent even if many consider the recording by Kronos Quartet to be the reference recording out there at the moment. Unfortunately this is all my local record store had and I try to buy as much of my music locally whenever possible, so I decided to go with it since the price was so affordable for a classical release. This is my first Naxos release and I haven't listened to it yet, so I hope it will be to my liking.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew [Mobile Fidelity hybrid 2SACD]

Those who don't have a turntable can finally get what is likely the next best thing and order the fresh SACD version of this absolutely essential album by MoFi.

Opeth - Pale Communion [deluxe edition CD+BD]

I haven't heard this album yet, but based on the fact almost all Opeth fans seem to hate it I expect to love it. We'll have to see though. If this is half as good as Heritage, I will be more than satisfied.

aran - Golden Yellow
https://soundcloud.com/otographicmusic/sets/aran-golden-yellow

AVTechNO! - レメアリネス (Remeariness)

オカメP (okameP) - Erica

What an incredible single this is. Highly recommended.

U2 - Songs of Innocence

U2 has never really done anything for me. I downloaded this since it was free, but I'm not sure if I'll ever listen to it. Mentioning it here just for the sake of completion.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #6,448 of 6,671

In addition to lots of great music (too much to post here) from Nova Scotian Arms and Motion Sickness of Time Travel. If you like drone/ambient/progressive electronic, be sure to check them out on Bandcamp.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #6,449 of 6,671
Latest Amazon Japan order.

Masakazu Sugimori / Naoto Tanaka / Noriyuki Iwadare - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1–3 [3 CDs]

The Ace Attorney series or the Turnabout Trial series as it is known in Japan is without question one of my favorite game series of all time. It might also be the most popular visual novel series in the West even among people who aren't aware what visual novel even are. The music in the original trilogy is awesome. Just awesome. This sound box contains the updated music from the WiiWare versions of the first three games, making it quite a treasure. The trilogy is available for iOS if you don't have a Nintendo DS or a Wii but want to check them out. The games are more than worth your money, I assure you.

Noriyuki Iwadare - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies [2 CDs]

After the somewhat disappointing Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, which I don't think many people liked even though I thought it was okay, and the very subpar Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth spin-off, I was still hyped when I heard from a friend a new Ace Attorney game was in the works. For the last six months I've been struggling against the urge to buy a 2DS just to be able to play the game. Then two weeks ago I found out by chance that the game had recently been released for iOS. I immediately downloaded it, and despite being somewhat undecided at first I really fell in love with the game and must say I can't remember when I've last played a game that made me so happy for having played it. I'm not sure if I'd rank it as the best in the series, but it's right up there with the third game Trials and Tribulations.

Unfortunately I didn't think the music in the game was up there with the previous games in the series, but this soundtrack was a must for me for Athena's theme. When I heard the courtroom version of if for the first time in case three once you manage to turn the tide in your favor for the first time, I was totally blown away. I can't recall when a piece of music last filled me with as much glee. Then in the last case you hear a sad version of it, which is kind of like a music box version of it with dark strings later on. It the same melody but it sounds SO sad. Just thinking about it literally makes me tear up. It's so sad, but beautiful. The composer really struck gold with Athena's theme. It manages to personify her character so perfectly.

God I love this game.

目黒将司 (Shōji Meguro) - Persona 3 FES

I've still yet to finish the add-on portion of P3 FES because the gameplay can get quite tedious due to there being maybe 5% story and 95% combat. That wouldn't be so bad but they've really turned up the difficulty, which makes finishing the game laborious. Still, I wanted to get the OST while I try to muster the willpower to force my way through the last of what the game has to offer. I've been listening to a lot of the soundtrack for the original Persona 3 over the summer and the way Shōji Meguro uses diminished chords has really made me fall in love with them and want to look for ways to use them more often myself. He really gives the diminished chords a prominent role in many of his compositions, whereas people typically tend to shy away from them because they are traditionally considered "unpleasing" to the ear. It's that kind of thinking that keeps holding music back. As much as I love perfect fifths, consonance is overrated. I wish people would open their minds and realize music is more complex than we often are taught in school and there is still so much we've yet to discover.

AVTechNO! - レメアリネス (Remeariness)

Some of you might've noticed I already bought this album on iTunes. Well that was my bad, for for some reason I was under the impression the CD was a Comiket exclusive but turns out I was wrong and Amazon totally carries it. I'm not the least bit sad, though, because the album is only 5€ on iTunes and AVTechNO! as one of my all-time favorite artists deserved all the monetary support I can give him. To me he is... today's Mozart – even if the two might seem world's apart.

I also got this one on Beatport. Check out Kobana, he makes good stuff.

Kobana - Barsoom

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #6,450 of 6,671
Originally Posted by TJ Elite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Latest Amazon Japan order.

Masakazu Sugimori / Naoto Tanaka / Noriyuki Iwadare - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1–3 [3 CDs]

The Ace Attorney series or the Turnabout Trial series as it is known in Japan is without question one of my favorite game series of all time. It might also be the most popular visual novel series in the West even among people who aren't aware what visual novel even are. The music in the original trilogy is awesome. Just awesome. This sound box contains the updated music from the WiiWare versions of the first three games, making it quite a treasure. The trilogy is available for iOS if you don't have a Nintendo DS or a Wii but want to check them out. The games are more than worth your money, I assure you.

Noriyuki Iwadare - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies [2 CDs]

After the somewhat disappointing Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, which I don't think many people liked even though I thought it was okay, and the very subpar Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth spin-off, I was still hyped when I heard from a friend a new Ace Attorney game was in the works. For the last six months I've been struggling against the urge to buy a 2DS just to be able to play the game. Then two weeks ago I found out by chance that the game had recently been released for iOS. I immediately downloaded it, and despite being somewhat undecided at first I really fell in love with the game and must say I can't remember when I've last played a game that made me so happy for having played it. I'm not sure if I'd rank it as the best in the series, but it's right up there with the third game Trials and Tribulations.

Unfortunately I didn't think the music in the game was up there with the previous games in the series, but this soundtrack was a must for me for Athena's theme. When I heard the courtroom version of if for the first time in case three once you manage to turn the tide in your favor for the first time, I was totally blown away. I can't recall when a piece of music last filled me with as much glee. Then in the last case you hear a sad version of it, which is kind of like a music box version of it with dark strings later on. It the same melody but it sounds SO sad. Just thinking about it literally makes me tear up. It's so sad, but beautiful. The composer really struck gold with Athena's theme. It manages to personify her character so perfectly.

God I love this game.

目黒将司 (Shōji Meguro) - Persona 3 FES

I've still yet to finish the add-on portion of P3 FES because the gameplay can get quite tedious due to there being maybe 5% story and 95% combat. That wouldn't be so bad but they've really turned up the difficulty, which makes finishing the game laborious. Still, I wanted to get the OST while I try to muster the willpower to force my way through the last of what the game has to offer. I've been listening to a lot of the soundtrack for the original Persona 3 over the summer and the way Shōji Meguro uses diminished chords has really made me fall in love with them and want to look for ways to use them more often myself. He really gives the diminished chords a prominent role in many of his compositions, whereas people typically tend to shy away from them because they are traditionally considered "unpleasing" to the ear. It's that kind of thinking that keeps holding music back. As much as I love perfect fifths, consonance is overrated. I wish people would open their minds and realize music is more complex than we often are taught in school and there is still so much we've yet to discover.

AVTechNO! - レメアリネス (Remeariness)

Some of you might've noticed I already bought this album on iTunes. Well that was my bad, for for some reason I was under the impression the CD was a Comiket exclusive but turns out I was wrong and Amazon totally carries it. I'm not the least bit sad, though, because the album is only 5€ on iTunes and AVTechNO! as one of my all-time favorite artists deserved all the monetary support I can give him. To me he is... today's Mozart – even if the two might seem world's apart.

I also got this one on Beatport. Check out Kobana, he makes good stuff.

Kobana - Barsoom

I'll have to check out these Ace Attorney games then when I receive the opportunity. I seriously want a 3DS and while they are there are a plethora of items on my wish list, this one is always resurfacing partly due to the fact that the majority of my friends from school are in love with their 3DS. I'm hoping I can jump on the craze sometime soon. If I do, I'll be sure to pick up an Ace Attorney game.

He really gives the diminished chords a prominent role in many of his compositions, whereas people typically tend to shy away from them because they are traditionally considered "unpleasing" to the ear. It's that kind of thinking that keeps holding music back. As much as I love perfect fifths, consonance is overrated. I wish people would open their minds and realize music is more complex than we often are taught in school and there is still so much we've yet to discover.

I really wish to emphasize this for it's truth. There is a world of music out there waiting to be consumed and yet we are focused on the few that make it on the likes of MTV and such. It really is concerning as it makes the ground for artistry so narrow. I truly hope these ideals will change.

Apropos, Persona 3 FES is a game I've yet to try at the moment. I want to so bad as I love most of the Persona games I own so far. Listening to the soundtrack via YouTube and I think I am going to place an order for it. I love it already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back