Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jan 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #6,166 of 6,671
ミドリ (Midori) - あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。 (Hello everyone, nice to meet you, we are Midori.)

I used my very limited skills to crudely paint away this lady's nipples so that no one on Head-Fi will have issue with me posting the artwork. I personally find it quite silly that in our modern-day society a woman's breasts are still considered a "filthy" or an indecent thing to show. I understand it's a cultural thing, but I've yet to hear a compelling argument that would make me agree with the point of view that feels kind of like a remnant from days gone by. I'm not saying we should start showing bare-breasted ladies on prime-time television (I have nothing against that either) or that women should start walking topless on the streets in the summer if they want, but the mindset that breast are something "shocking" or a thing that children's eyes should be protected from isn't something I'm willing to agree on in a blink of an eye without a good rationalization for that view.

But about the music, I haven't listened to this album yet, but what little I've heard I liked. Just based on that I would definitely recommend seeking this album out if music is a thing you love in all of its forms.

Love this Midori album, and I compliment you on your rad Paint skillz. It's a fairly recent purchase by me as well--I just opted to not show the cover art at all a few pages back, though I mentioned it by name. I've certainly been hesitant about posting some album artwork before in the past, according to these Head-Fi rules: 'If you're not sure about the potential offence of something you intend to post, consider whether or not it would be broadcast on prime-time TV or in a daily newspaper. If not, then don't post it.' However, I dig your solution, and may take a similar approach in the future. ^^

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #6,167 of 6,671

Love this Midori album, and I compliment you on your rad Paint skillz. It's a fairly recent purchase by me as well--I just opted to not show the cover art at all a few pages back, though I mentioned it by name. I've certainly been hesitant about posting some album artwork before in the past, according to these Head-Fi rules: 'If you're not sure about the potential offence of something you intend to post, consider whether or not it would be broadcast on prime-time TV or in a daily newspaper. If not, then don't post it.' However, I dig your solution, and may take a similar approach in the future. ^^

Thanks. I'm glad the nipples didn't quite show in the reflection off the glass, because I would have likely missed that when I was editing the photo and my work would have been for naught. I haven't taken a look at that specific Head-Fi rule. When you're uploading a photo it merely says not to upload copyrighted or offensive material. The only point of reference I've had has been YouTube, which doesn't allow nudity, but if it's "art" then it's OK. So you can actually show nudity in a YouTube video if it's for example a painting, i.e. art 
(Here's an example video of this, where a lot of things had to be censored by the person who made the video, but not the paintings in the background: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_QZVci92A&feature=youtu.be&t=10m40s
). This is why I have always been unsure how a site like Head-Fi feels about a drawn album artwork with for example exposed titties on it.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #6,168 of 6,671

Thanks. I'm glad the nipples didn't quite show in the reflection off the glass, because I would have likely missed that when I was editing the photo and my work would have been for naught. I haven't taken a look at that specific Head-Fi rule. When you're uploading a photo it merely says not to upload copyrighted or offensive material. The only point of reference I've had has been YouTube, which doesn't allow nudity, but if it's "art" then it's OK. So you can actually show nudity in a YouTube video if it's for example a painting, i.e. art 
(Here's an example video of this, where a lot of things had to be censored by the person who made the video, but not the paintings in the background: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_QZVci92A&feature=youtu.be&t=10m40s
). This is why I have always been unsure how a site like Head-Fi feels about a drawn album artwork with for example exposed titties on it.

That particular rule is on the Head-Fi wiki--it's a bit tucked away. And as far as I'm concerned, YouTube's nudity policy is a right mess. It's quite a lot more convoluted than it being a matter of art or not--I think questions of intent are taken into account, as well. (I've seen full-frontal nudity from both live-action males and females on Youtube without even a content warning click through, though in all such cases that I've encountered the nudity was not the focal point of the video.)

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #6,169 of 6,671

Grabbed all 5 today for about $25-$26. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #6,170 of 6,671

"Impulse" purchase, I like that. I should honestly get Ballads on vinyl myself at some point. It's probably not one of my all-time favorite Coltrane records, but I've always had a soft spot for it.

The same can be said for me. I was going to opt for the ORG release with the mastering done by Bernie Grundman, but this is one of those albums that I just wanted to have an "almost" seamless playback. I don't think I made a terrible choice as this pressing is delightful and even perhaps different.

Last purchase:

Azurium - Untold
https://azurium.bandcamp.com/album/untold (FREE)

A wonderful album that conveys a wonderful tale I think that even feels best when intermingled with the concept of the rain. I heavily adore the rain, so this is a nice treat. Definitely recommended to those who feel the same way about it as I do.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #6,171 of 6,671
  The same can be said for me. I was going to opt for the ORG release with the mastering done by Bernie Grundman, but this is one of those albums that I just wanted to have an "almost" seamless playback. I don't think I made a terrible choice as this pressing is delightful and even perhaps different.

Last purchase:

Azurium - Untold
https://azurium.bandcamp.com/album/untold (FREE)

A wonderful album that conveys a wonderful tale I think that even feels best when intermingled with the concept of the rain. I heavily adore the rain, so this is a nice treat. Definitely recommended to those who feel the same way about it as I do.

I can fully see why spreading an originally single-disc LP over four sides can feel distracting in some cases. I'm usually not bothered by it too much and in a weird way almost kind of like it sometimes. There's just something about switching side that I've sort of grown to take pleasure in. There's a strange satisfaction I get from it although sometimes it does feel like a pain; really depend on my mood and the album I guess. The ORG 45rpm release would be a really "nice" thing to own, and I do like the album a lot, but I'm not sure if it's worth its price tag for me. And my philosophy is kind of that if I need to wonder if something is worth it for me or not, then it probably isn't. This doesn't always hold true of course, but a lot of the time it does.

Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz is an album I'd very much like to own on vinyl, but the fact that the one continuous performance has to be split in two due to the format's limitations does feel a bit off-putting to me. The fact that it's divided across four sides on the ORG issue sounds like a horrible idea to me and a huge disservice to the music. Luckily they do also have a hybrid SACD release, which I fully intend to pick up at some point. I am also a bit on the fence about the Analogue Productions' A Love Supreme double LP. I know there's a pretty logical point where parts three and four of the suite can be split apart, but it still feels… kind of sacrilegious to do something like that. Can't say I like the idea too much.

I'm certain Azurium is happy to see another person who enjoys his work enough to pay money for it. I'm almost surprised by how much I enjoy that album.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #6,173 of 6,671

I can fully see why spreading an originally single-disc LP over four sides can feel distracting in some cases. I'm usually not bothered by it too much and in a weird way almost kind of like it sometimes. There's just something about switching side that I've sort of grown to take pleasure in. There's a strange satisfaction I get from it although sometimes it does feel like a pain; really depend on my mood and the album I guess. The ORG 45rpm release would be a really "nice" thing to own, and I do like the album a lot, but I'm not sure if it's worth its price tag for me. And my philosophy is kind of that if I need to wonder if something is worth it for me or not, then it probably isn't. This doesn't always hold true of course, but a lot of the time it does.

Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz is an album I'd very much like to own on vinyl, but the fact that the one continuous performance has to be split in two due to the format's limitations does feel a bit off-putting to me. The fact that it's divided across four sides on the ORG issue sounds like a horrible idea to me and a huge disservice to the music. Luckily they do also have a hybrid SACD release, which I fully intend to pick up at some point. I am also a bit on the fence about the Analogue Productions' A Love Supreme double LP. I know there's a pretty logical point where parts three and four of the suite can be split apart, but it still feels… kind of sacrilegious to do something like that. Can't say I like the idea too much.

I'm certain Azurium is happy to see another person who enjoys his work enough to pay money for it. I'm almost surprised by how much I enjoy that album.

I wouldn't say I dislike it either. It really is something I've grown to absolutely adore after owning a few double 45rpm releases. Your philosophy is perhaps the best worded description of how I went about making my purchase. I didn't really feel the asking price for the ORG 45rpm release was worth it for me. Still, it is a terrific album. This 180g Impulse record isn't actually terrible like I thought it would be, so I can indeed say I felt it was worth it.

Thank you for saying this. Perhaps my number one issue with these 45rpm releases is due to the fact that they do slit songs in half just to maintain the 45rpm continuity and I do find that horrible and almost disheartening as it can draw the listener away from the music with more feelings excluding frustration of having to flip the record during a great moment in the piece of music. I've been meaning to pickup Coleman's Free Jazz after hearing it recently and perhaps the Hybrid SACD is the best way to go about it. I would go for the Analogue Productions hybrid SACD in that case. It would possibly fair up a bit better and if it helps you enjoy the music much more, why not?

On the note of Azurium, I sent a personal note to Azurium congratulating him on a well composed album. I think he deserves more as he is a wonderful artist who deserves attention.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6,175 of 6,671
Billy Idol - Vital Idol (original US CD issue)
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain (1997 remaster w/ bonus tracks)
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (1996 remaster)
Ys SILVER ANNIVERSARY EDITION -Music From the History of Ys-, a compilation OST that came with the Playstation Vita game Ys Memories of Celceta
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather (1999 remaster w/ bonus tracks)

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #6,176 of 6,671

Loads of solid albums in there.

The last five albums I received are:
Sea of S*** / Water Torture split 7"
screw on the Beach / Matka Teresa split 7"
screw on the Beach / Yacøpsæ split 7"
Sick/Tired - King of Dirt LP
Marduk - Iron Dawn LP

Dat powerviolence

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #6,179 of 6,671

John Coltrane - Ascension (2000 Re-Mastered DigiPak)

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (2005 Re-mastered DigiPak)

I am so happy I finally own a copy of Ascension. I really can't elaborate on the love I have for this album even more. I really wish it were given the SACD treatment, I think it could provide an even better experience. Regardless, I am more than happy with this release and based on the review rating score of 4.21/5 on Rate Your Music, I'd assume it is one of the better releases of this colossal monument.

On John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman self-titled record. I haven't given it a thorough enough of a listen, but it seems like it could be an instantly loveable album. Based on my first quick listen, It's definitely a gentle side of Coltrane that you don't always see, but it's a nice treat regardless. : - )

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #6,180 of 6,671

51Fg0VloS2L._AA160_.jpg

51Tg7cpelvL._AA160_.jpg

41BImYJCWTL._AA160_.jpg

51ijEHP5FtL._AA160_.jpg

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back