Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Dec 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #6,151 of 6,671
  "At Carnegie Hall" is one hell of a live album. Well the rest are killer too. "Watermelon Man" on "Head Hunters" is one of the all-time favorite tracks of one of my cousins.

Great to hear! Right now I'm starting with the album "Time Out" and I actually recognize some of the piano parts. I'm liking it a lot. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #6,153 of 6,671
Gravity - OST - Steven Price

Oblivion - OST - M83, Anthony Gonzalez & Joseph Trapanese

Jurassic Park - OST - John Williams

Starship Troopers - OST - Basil Poledouris 

The Music of Star Wars [30th Anniversary Collector's Edition] [Box Set] - John Williams 

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #6,155 of 6,671
The Waterboys  "The Fisherman's Box" 
Dire Straits     "The Studio Albums 1978-1991"
Eric Bibb        "jericho road"
Boz Scaggs    "Memphis"
Willie Nelson  "To All The Girl"
Son Volt         "Honky tonk"

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,157 of 6,671

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Herb Alperts Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream and Other Delights

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (Repress)

Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children (Repress)

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (45 RPM)

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #6,159 of 6,671
I've had two LPs get here recently, both from Chicago-based indie label Drag City : Jim O'Rourke's Bad Timing and Eiko Ishibashi's Imitation of Life.

Bad Timing :

Imitation of Life

The first I know by heart, having owned the CD version since its release. The second, a Jim O'Rourke production as well, is new (released a few weeks ago, I think). Both are great pieces of music and sound, but in both cases, the vinyl itself is a big disappointment, very noisy, and fairly distorted. Both were bought new and factory sealed, and both were obviously dirty (smudges etc., how'd they get there ?).
What have you come to, Drag City ? I'm VERY excited about Jim O'Rourke's forthcoming rock album with them, but I think I'll be getting the CD version this time.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #6,160 of 6,671
Albums bought with xmas giftcards: mostly playing catch up with albums released this year (primarily metal), as well as picking up some classics that are on steady rotation on my music streaming sites, but which I don't actually own!

Edit: Forgot one!

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #6,161 of 6,671

After a couple days time

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #6,162 of 6,671
Again, quite a few more than five 'cause I'm lazy (aaand I got like six of these in the mail today).

Chouchou - a monster is crying [digital]
https://chouchou.bandcamp.com/album/a-monster-is-crying

Chouchou - LUNARIA [digital]
https://chouchou.bandcamp.com/album/lunaria

Zoë Keating - Into the Trees [deluxe edition CD]
http://music.zoekeating.com/album/into-the-trees

Lund Quartet - Lund Quartet [CD]
https://lundquartet.bandcamp.com/album/lund-quartet

Dataline - Unexpected Result [digital]
https://dataline.bandcamp.com/album/unexpected-result-live-album

YUME - 2013 - Compilation [digital]
https://yumexo.bandcamp.com/album/2013-compilation

Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra & Zubin Mehta - Holst: The Planets [XRCD24]

Michael Wollny - Wunderkammer XXL [collector's edition, 2 CDs]

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Gamak [CD]

Pierrick Pédron - Kubic's Monk [CD]

Frøy Aagre - Cycle of Silence [CD]

Jens Thomas - Speed of Grace [CD]

Yes, a freakin' jazz piano ballad tribute to AC/DC. 
biggrin.gif

Josefine Cronholm - Songs of the Falling Feather [CD]

All of the ACT CDs are from their Xmas sale where each only cost you €12 if you ordered three or more. The Songs of the Falling Feather disc was actually even on special sale and only cost €5 regardless of how many CDs you ordered. Even the shipping cost was only €6 for all six discs. A sweet deal if you ask me.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #6,163 of 6,671
Some new purchases on my behalf. All Vinyl 33rpm issues.

John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads - (Impulse! Records Limited Edition LP, 180g)

This was sort of an "impulse" purchase. It is such a great album that I couldn't avoid snagging it when I was at the record store today. It's the 1995 GR-156 reissue produced by Michael Cuscuna. I actually am enjoying this record pressing heavily.

Julie London with the Gerard Wilson Big Band - Feeling Good - (Liberty Records LP, MONO)

While I enjoy a very seldom amount of Ms. London's work, my brother in particular fancies her music. When he is over, he'll sure be excited and hopefully enjoy this record. Very great find and in immaculate condition as well.

Ella Fitzergald - Ella In London - (Pablo Records LP MONO, 1974)

I don't own any Pablo Records, so this was a nice surprise. Doing some quick reading provides the concept that most of the Pablo pressings from the 70's were well done. I was even more excited to learn that Bobby Durham performed on drums on this record. He did a mighty fine job when he performed in the Oscar Peterson Trio, so I do expect some great work from him on this record. I'll give it a listen as soon as I can. : - )

Bandcamp purchase:

we.own.the.sky - The Glass/Nails EP
http://weownthesky.bandcamp.com/

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #6,164 of 6,671
First three are *AR; then Friendzone and Frog Eyes.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #6,165 of 6,671
  Some new purchases on my behalf. All Vinyl 33rpm issues.

John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads - (Impulse! Records Limited Edition LP, 180g)

This was sort of an "impulse" purchase. It is such a great album that I couldn't avoid snagging it when I was at the record store today. It's the 1995 GR-156 reissue produced by Michael Cuscuna. I actually am enjoying this record pressing heavily.

"Impulse" purchase, I like that. I should honestly get Ballads on vinyl myself at some point. It's probably not one of my all-time favorite Coltrane records, but I've always had a soft spot for it.

I was just about to post what I just said, but then my phone rang and a DHL courier told me they had an Amazon Japan delivery for me and asked if I was home. Fortunately I was so here's what I got plus one Bandcamp purchase. It's always such a pleasure to order stuff from Amazon.co.jp because the delivery times are so fast (I ordered these on Saturday I believe) and the goods always arrive in perfect condition thanks to the courier service. Of course you pay for that, but to my great delight Amazon Japan's shipping and handling charges to Finland have dropped from around ¥3,000 what they used to still be around six months ago, to around ¥2,000. For this order they were ¥1,900, which with the currently quite favorable EUR–JPY exchange rate compared to say a year ago is almost nothing for this kind of service I feel.

Keiichiro Shibuya - ATAK020 THE END [limited edition 2CD+DVD box set]

I was slightly reserved about pulling the trigger on the limited edition box set because of its considerably higher price in comparison to the single disc EU edition, but once I got the package in the mail I realized where the price came from. I assumed that when they called this a box set they meant a thick CD-sized box you see every now and then. I must say I'm now very glad I went with the limited edition set because the packaging certainly is really nice. Also the single-disc release doesn't quite contain the entire program, not to mention this box comes with the full script for the opera both in Japanese and English. The book containing art, interviews and such is also in both languages, so a perfectly worthwhile investment for anyone who doesn't understand Japanese.

YouTube actually recommended this to me. I'd seen a short minute-long sneak peek back in March but based on that I doubted I would like it. Turns out I was completely wrong. After watching the opera in its entirety on YouTube I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

Official website: http://theend-official.com/?l=en

Priscilla Ahn - Natural Colors

You can listen to the album on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/6DYQokLeHYSQALiqscwwNE

ミドリ (Midori) - あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。 (Hello everyone, nice to meet you, we are Midori.)

I used my very limited skills to crudely paint away this lady's nipples so that no one on Head-Fi will have issue with me posting the artwork. I personally find it quite silly that in our modern-day society a woman's breasts are still considered a "filthy" or an indecent thing to show. I understand it's a cultural thing, but I've yet to hear a compelling argument that would make me agree with the point of view that feels kind of like a remnant from days gone by. I'm not saying we should start showing bare-breasted ladies on prime-time television (I have nothing against that either) or that women should start walking topless on the streets in the summer if they want, but the mindset that breast are something "shocking" or a thing that children's eyes should be protected from isn't something I'm willing to agree on in a blink of an eye without a good rationalization for that view.

But about the music, I haven't listened to this album yet, but what little I've heard I liked. Just based on that I would definitely recommend seeking this album out if music is a thing you love in all of its forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back