Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jan 28, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2,613 of 6,671
Don't remember where I left off last post but here's the last 5 used and new for me ...

The Hotel Alexis - Goliath, I'm On Your Side (just ordered this one used from early last year - kind of a mix of Sparklehorse and Califone type of sound)

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (lots of talk about this one - probably gonna be a big debut)

Bon Iver - From Emma, Forever Ago (listened some to a couple nice sounding mp3 late last year (easy to find), kind of a Nick Drake soulful acoustic folk-pop sound, sounding a bit like the Shins unplugged, very good but kind of self-released, I think only some of the bloggers and critics got copies, then heard it got picked up on a bigger label, same one as Black Mountain, so pre-ordered it but won't release until middle of Feb, looking forward to this one a lot)

Six By Seven - If Symptoms Persist Kill Your Doctor (Used to really like The Closer We Get, kind of a heavier version of Radiohead, then one of the lead guys split, but now they reformed, maybe for a last hurrah)

Black Mountain - In The Future (brilliant stuff, favorite of the year so far, but yea, it's only late January, and the only others I've heard are Radiohead and British Sea Power
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #2,614 of 6,671
Stokowski Showcase - NPO/Stokowski (EMI Classics)

The Reiner Sound - CSO/Reiner (Living Stereo)

Beethoven Violin Concerto/Romances 1 & 2 - Perlman/Barenboim (EMI Classics)

Ravel Daphnis et Chloe - BSO/Munch (Living Stereo)

Bartok Concerto for Orchestra
- CSO/Reiner (Living Stereo)

A Hi Fi Spectacular - Saint Saens, etc - BSO/Munch (Living Stereo)

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #2,615 of 6,671
Tori Amos - American Doll Posse
Cat Power - Jukebox
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Richard Buckner - Meadow

Interestingly, 4 of these 5 are albums I'd previously acquired as MP3s (from eMusic or direct from Radiohead) or AACs (from iTunes) that I was upgrading to CD for the sound quality. You'd think the labels would eventually get the message that audiophiles are the last ones propping up the CD business and fix the audio quality issues.

And, needless to say, I recommend all 5.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #2,616 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't remember where I left off last post but here's the last 5 used and new for me ...

The Hotel Alexis - Goliath, I'm On Your Side (just ordered this one used from early last year - kind of a mix of Sparklehorse and Califone type of sound)

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (lots of talk about this one - probably gonna be a big debut)

Bon Iver - From Emma, Forever Ago (listened some to a couple nice sounding mp3 late last year (easy to find), kind of a Nick Drake soulful acoustic folk-pop sound, sounding a bit like the Shins unplugged, very good but kind of self-released, I think only some of the bloggers and critics got copies, then heard it got picked up on a bigger label, same one as Black Mountain, so pre-ordered it but won't release until middle of Feb, looking forward to this one a lot)

Six By Seven - If Symptoms Persist Kill Your Doctor (Used to really like The Closer We Get, kind of a heavier version of Radiohead, then one of the lead guys split, but now they reformed, maybe for a last hurrah)

Black Mountain - In The Future (brilliant stuff, favorite of the year so far, but yea, it's only late January, and the only others I've heard are Radiohead and British Sea Power
smily_headphones1.gif
)

You got me interested in "The Hotel Alexis" with a description like that! I have "Vampire Weekend" on the way. I didn't really like Black Mountain's debut. Is this new one "different" from that one?

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #2,617 of 6,671
Fleetwood Mac - (The Peter Green Years)
Mothership - Led Zeppelin
Tattoo - Rory Gallagher (to replace my scratched one)
In Search Of The Lost Chord - The Moody Blues
Amadeus soundtack - (the Neville Marriner version, excellent quality!)

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2,618 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't really like Black Mountain's debut. Is this new one "different" from that one?

Probably not in any way that would change your mind. I like it a lot, and it seems more colorful than the debut which had some Led Zep sound that's a bit tired by now, but still mostly the same sound, but a bit more epic at times, and more catchy too. Nice mix of style. Did you actually dislike the debut, or just not care about it? I'm kind of a stoner rock fan from way back, so it's a nice sound for me. That said, I do like this one a lot more than the debut myself. If you can, try to find a download of "Wucan". Great stuff, and easy to find.

I'll keep you posted on the Hotel Alexis.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #2,619 of 6,671
Quote:

Probably not in any way that would change your mind. I like it a lot, and it seems more colorful than the debut which had some Led Zep sound that's a bit tired by now, but still mostly the same sound, but a bit more epic at times, and more catchy too. Nice mix of style. Did you actually dislike the debut, or just not care about it? I'm kind of a stoner rock fan from way back, so it's a nice sound for me. That said, I do like this one a lot more than the debut myself. If you can, try to find a download of "Wucan". Great stuff, and easy to find.

I'll keep you posted on the Hotel Alexis.

I bought it and I guess you could say that I just didn't care about their debut. I do care about your opinion though and thank you for the insight.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #2,620 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richard Buckner - Meadow
And, needless to say, I recommend all 5.

That is a nice record, one of my favorites from the last couple years. Do you like the early stuff too? The first two are my favorites, nice CD mastering and great sound on both as well (at least on the original release of Bloomed, not the Ryko). Meadow is kind of loud and compressed, but not too bad. Not much different from the past, but kind of like an old friend. Nice to have him around and making records, especially when they are still this good.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2,621 of 6,671
Quote:

I do care about your opinion though and thank you for the insight.

OK, but remember that sometimes we like stuff just because we like it, not because it's good
smily_headphones1.gif

Although it does seem there are a lot of stoners around grooving to Black Mountain right now. I've always liked bands with both genders trading vocal parts, just seems kind of natural in a way. Deadstring Brothers are another like that, but working a retro country sound mixed with the same Stones exile vibe, Masha and Kurt trading off vocals. Good unpretentious band. Blanche too, though they are a bit more quirky, and White Stripes sounding. Nice trend. Hope for more.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2,622 of 6,671
Quote:

OK, but remember that sometimes we like stuff just because we like it, not because it's good
smily_headphones1.gif

Although it does seem there are a lot of stoners around grooving to Black Mountain right now. I've always liked bands with both genders trading vocal parts, just seems kind of natural in a way. Deadstring Brothers are another like that, but working a retro country sound mixed with the same Stones exile vibe, Masha and Kurt trading off vocals. Good unpretentious band. Blanche too, though they are a bit more quirky, and White Stripes sounding. Nice trend. Hope for more.

Sometimes we do just like what we like. Hey, I just read a review in the newest issue of Paste on an upcoming release called "Saturnalia" by The Gutter Twins. (Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli). Sounds interesting...sounds like something that you might like...

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #2,624 of 6,671
Jumped on the Radiohead boxed set at amazon.ca yesterday, $39.99!

Also on the way, all vinyl:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Cat Power - Jukebox
Belle & Sebastien - If You're Feeling Sinister

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #2,625 of 6,671
Quote:

Hey, I just read a review in the newest issue of Paste on an upcoming release called "Saturnalia" by The Gutter Twins. (Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli). Sounds interesting...sounds like something that you might like...

Yea, that has been on my radar. Great pair. They have teamed up some in the past, including on the Twilight Singers' Blackberry Belle. I just got that Paste too, but haven't looked at it yet. They had that Radiohead name your own subscription price awhile back, so I cheapskated them at $5 to give it a checkout. I did get a few issues when it first came out and always liked some of the stuff on the freebie discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back