Your 10 favorite science fiction/fantasy books
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #31 of 40
I am a big fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series by George r r martin 
Its a more adult fantasy i started the series my freshman year is High School and have been keeping up with it ever sense, Also HBO did a good job with a mini series over the first book.
Another great find is the king killer chronicles by patrick rothfuss this series is very original and i found it a great read and different to many other series out there!

The way these two authors write makes the reading and story that enjoyable to read
read the first book the name of the wind in the king killer chronicles and you will know what im talking about. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #32 of 40
Sorry but this whole list fails for not even including one work by Rudy Rucker.  His Ware Tetralogy would easily have been number one on my list.  Also not that I am a huge fan of Bruce Sterling, its shocking to see no mention of him either aside from Difference Engine which doesn't count since it was a collab with Gibson.  Gibson's Bridge Trilogy is left out in its entirety as well while much of his newer work is included.  Much of which while not terrible, pales in comparison to his other work.  I'm also really surprised to see very little representation for Robert J. Sawyer since he's probably been one of the more prolific sci-fi writers of recent years.

That said, while I love many entries on that list, I actually find it hard to compile a true list of favorites from it.  Looking through it, these ones jump out at me as being definite favorites.

The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester
The Diamond Age, by Neil Stephenson
The Neanderthal Parallax Trilogy, by Robert J. Sawyer
VALIS, by Philip K. Dick
Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #33 of 40
My favorites:

1. Riftwar Saga - R.E.Feist
2. The Sword of Truth - T.Goodkind
3. Empire Trilogy - R.E.Feist
4. LOTR - Tolkien
5. Harry Potter series - J.K.Rowling
6. Serpentwar Saga - R.E.Feist
7. The Shannara Trilogy - T.Brooks
8. The Belgariad - D.Eddings
9. The Farseer Trilogy - R.Hobb
(10.Inheritance Cycle - C.Paolini (not finished jet)  )

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
My favorites:

1. Riftwar Saga - R.E.Feist
2. The Sword of Truth - T.Goodkind
3. Empire Trilogy - R.E.Feist
4. LOTR - Tolkien
5. Harry Potter series - J.K.Rowling
6. Serpentwar Saga - R.E.Feist
7. The Shannara Trilogy - T.Brooks
8. The Belgariad - D.Eddings
9. The Farseer Trilogy - R.Hobb
(10.Inheritance Cycle - C.Paolini (not finished jet)  )

Read and loved 1, 4, 8, and 9. Of course I have read over the last 30 years well over 1,000 SF books. Yes I am addicted.

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #35 of 40
^ wow, that's a lot, way way more then me. I have months when I read a book a week, but also months I don't read at all.

If you didn't already, I'd definitely take a look at Terry Goodkind's books.

(I'm more of a fantasy reader then SF)

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #38 of 40
I loved Ender's Game, but in my opinion the sequels missed on out everything that made the original great. Just goes to show you can't improve on perfection, and you can't make a sequel to great art. So I wish people would stop trying... As an aside I heard Orson Scott Card has some pretty weird personal beliefs. He did autograph 2 of my books though!

The Illustrated Man was pretty good too.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #39 of 40
Dragon Riders Of Pern. Probably the first huge fantasy novel i read in my pre-teen years. It was different from anything i read before and really made my imagination do some work thinking of what this world looked like in my head. It was also the first book i read which showed me how bits of science fiction and fantasy can come together in a harmonious manner.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #40 of 40
LOTR - JRR Tolkien
The Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
frankly I enjoy just about all the Tolkien stuff............
Contact - Carl Sagan
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
2001 - Arthur C. Clarke
2010 - Arthur C. Clarke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back