Your “wow” headphones
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 212

headpmaniac

Head-Fier
This is just a curiosity, but I think it could be fun.

What was the headphone you tried that changed everything for you, the pure musical pleasure it gave you (despite not being or still being now your favorite headphones), your perception of how a good an headphone was, the headphone that inspired you to listen to more and more music and not wanting to put it down, like, “this is phenomenal, revealing, I never thought headphones could sound this good”?

Just curious. :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 212
Grado SR60.

Purchasing my SR60 back in 2001 (long before the days of the SR60e or even the SR60i) were my first real audiophile experience that led me into this world.

I still sometimes listen to that same pair nearly 20 years later.

Similarly, my first real ”wow” speakers were a set of Paradigm Titans along with an accompanying subwoofer and center channel. I bought them not long after the SR60s I still use that 5.1 system in my living room.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 212
Grado SR60.

Purchasing my SR60 back in 2001 (long before the days of the SR60e or even the SR60i) were my first real audiophile experience that led me into this world.

Similarly, my first real ”wow” speakers were a set of Paradigm Titans along with an accompanying subwoofer and center channel. I bought them not long after the SR60s I still use that 5.1 system in my living room.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply and for sharing.

The SR60’s (or SR80’s) are on my list as a must-have headphone to buy and build a decent collection.

It seems, from the reviews, they are great with rock and metal music. :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 212
Grado SR60.

Same for me, the Grado SR60, except it was 2004. It was my first year in college and I needed a headphone to listen to while studying and I was blown away by how much detail I could hear compared to my usual $10 headphones

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 212
er4p back in the 2000s. At that time many headphones sound muffled at all price ranges. Listening to the er4ps were like watching crystals deflecting lights.

Most recently, the Grado sr225e gave me a wow. Their presentation is just so homogeneous and sophisticated. These are musical cans, not about accuracy, but about touching your soul...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 212
Fostex th900mk2. That bass :L3000:

Abyss TC. The everything. Truly mind bogglingly good :L3000:

Raal SR1a. The speed and clarity is other worldly :L3000:

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 212
Beyerdynamic DT 480 modified. Otherwordly detail, dynamics, clarity, and imaging. Just leaves me in awe every time I listen to them. Everything sounds so big, full of body, and present yet it's super tight/controlled, probably the clearest headphone I've heard, incredibly dynamic, and detailed.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 212
I know it's a bit of a meme, but having been lucky enough to spend some proper time with the Sennheiser HE-1 I can say that they are truly special.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 212
Campfire Solstice. Just immediate 'wow' these are quality. Detail, separation, sound ... they were just ... nice. I eventually decided not to go the custom route so that I can share my IEM's with my partner but I was really tempted.

Audeze MX4. Again, first impression. Wow. The holographic soundstage and instrument separation. Lush, warm, fun mid vocals. If not for the huge size, head clamp I would have bought them on the spot. And sounded great out of a headphone jack of my DAP.

Campfire Andromeda. See comments for Solstice except not quite as nice. There are a few minor fault(s) mostly to do with the mids. Not quite as analytical as a well balanced HD800S nor as complete as the other two which are an entire new category.

But back in the day, it was the Etymotic ER4P and Shure 530's ... that gave me hours and hours of listening joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back