Your “wow” headphones
Mar 17, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #31 of 212
Back in about 2003 (or thereabouts), I dropped into a Hi-Fi store in Hannover to collect an audiophile LP which I had ordered. While I was there, the owner asked me if I wanted to hear the same recording on SACD. As there was someone in the dem. room, I was shown to a headphone rig in the corner: a top-loading Sony SACD player and a TOTL Sony integrated (I can’t remember which model). I was then given a pair of closed Sony headphones with oddly-shaped wooden ear cups, and told that they were “something special”....

I had no idea that headphones could sound like that! I didn’t ask what they cost...

I presume they must have been R10s!

Some initiation...😀

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #32 of 212
HD800S - nothing quite lends a sense of space like this headphone. Give them a tube amp and sit back, enjoy 💡

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 212
Grado Hemps. I just sit back and smile. Don't think about technicalities. The least "hi-fi" sounding headphones I've ever heard - simply organic.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #34 of 212
What amp did you use when you tried them?
ADX5000 - Bottlehead Crack, Questyle CMA600i

Stellia - Hagerman Tuba, Questyle CMA600i

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #35 of 212
Alessandro MS1i which I then modded on here to become the MS1000 :o2smile:

That was back in 2010, been on quite the journey since then.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #36 of 212
Difficult answer for me on any piece of equipment in the chain. So much of what I listen to is recorded so badly that I have a hard time getting to that "WOW" moment. So not to thread crap or derail; am I alone or does anyone else have this problem? I am a grown man. Go ahead and Tar and feather me if you think I am off base.

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #37 of 212
Difficult answer for me on any piece of equipment in the chain. So much of what I listen to is recorded so badly that I have a hard time getting to that "WOW" moment. So not to thread crap or derail; am I alone or does anyone else have this problem? I am a grown man. Go ahead and Tar and feather me if you think I am off base.
What do you listen to that is recorded so badly? I listen to Classical, Jazz, Bluegrass, Rock, World, and even Metal. All of these genres have amazing recordings to chose from - almost unlimited, actually. Life is short, man. Why do you listen to bad recordings????

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #38 of 212
Hifiman HE500, my first planar, i was amazed how liquid and resolving it sounded with amazing extension on both ends, still miss it
Agreed. I owned some very good headphones before the HE-500s that I enjoyed/continue to enjoy, but those mids and smoothness just nails it for me. They're my jam alongside my HE6SEv2 and Elegias.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #39 of 212
Depends what I'm listening too. When I'm listening to instruments like Guitar, acoustic type music the HD600 series, HD560S, HE-500 has given me some memorable wow moments. I sadly don't get them that often as I feel headphones don't seem to have natural timbres anymore, we're in the plastic era.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #40 of 212
I quite tried some headphones in different price ranges, but I got the real first "wow" effect on the JBL Club One. They have everything I want, deep bass, slam yet not bleeding into mids and highs. Only thing missing is the last bit of detail retrieval. But they really cover my personal sound signature preference. But also they are not comfortable, thats why I sold them 2 times. But then I bought them again :dt880smile: Can only listen 30 minutes max. I got another wow effect with my Fostex TH900 SB, but It was not that impressive as with the JBL.

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #41 of 212
MDR-Z1R.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #44 of 212
Another vote for the HE-500. A real 'hairs standing up on the back of my neck' headphone which got me properly started on this ridiculously expensive journey. Still chasing that feeling....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back