Your “wow” headphones
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #64 of 212
I remember the pure joy of listening to my MassDrop Fostex TH-X00 Mahoganies for the first time. So much fun. Did exactly what I wanted with the rock music I was listening to. I set about finding a used PurpleHeart and still have both to this day. Can't really justify owning both (I can't tell the difference, honestly) but they are gorgeous sitting on their stands...More recently it's my HD6xx on the Darkvoice with a vintage Tung-Sol from Vintage Tube Services.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #65 of 212
It was way back in the mid 80’s. Some incredible RadioShack Realistic headphones. No longer have them. I remember a roommates cat peeing all over the irreplaceable foam pads and no longer could be worn due the horrid odour. Over time they simply disintegrated.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #66 of 212
Most headphones that I've heard that had an initial wow factor usually became fatiguing in some way over time, especially those with bigger presentations like many Grados. The keepers for me are the ones that get out of the way like Stax and the better Senns.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #67 of 212
Most headphones that I've heard that had an initial wow factor usually became fatiguing in some way over time, especially those with bigger presentations like many Grados. The keepers for me are the ones that get out of the way like Stax and the better Senns.

Can you give examples of the better Senns you’re refering to? HD560/600/650? Or maybe the HD599?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #68 of 212
Can you give examples of the better Senns you’re refering to? HD560/600/650? Or maybe the HD599?

Thanks!
Out of the Senns, I've only had the HD600 and HD650. Both are really impressive headphones when properly amped. I've tried a few other Senn models, but not for long enough to be able to offer a meaningful comparison. The general consensus here is that the HD600 has a more balanced frequency response and a clearer, purer tonality, while the HD650 has a warmer and darker sound, with more mid bass. But again, with proper amping that warmth and darkness can be reduced, and the sound becomes much more neutral, transparent and enjoyable in my opinion.. The Senns really take some work with system matching to sound their best, more so than with a lot of other headphones that are just plug and play. But for the money, the Senns can be wonderful.

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #70 of 212
Enigma Acoustics Dharma

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #73 of 212
I haven't listened to too many high end headphones in the past few years.
Though I remember my first mind blown experience was the Alessandro MS1. Everyone recommended them here and I took the dive into this hobby with it.

The next was I went to a headphone meet back in like 07 or 08 and the Orpheus and Grado PS1000 really blew me away.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #75 of 212
Wow headphones?
Let's me think..... Hifiman Arya and HD800.

Even though I like abyss Diana v2 more but Arya and hd800 soundstage is crazy.

What stands out to you in comparison to the V2 and Arya ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back