You like NiN? Janes Addiction? Well then, you need this!
Mar 22, 2009 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
ninja_09.jpg

Just got this in my inbox a few minutes ago ...

It's a free download notice for six incredibly good, incredibly well recorded tracks from NiN and Janes Addiction and Street Sweeper.

The download page features options including MP3's, FLACS, and even full quality .WAV files ...

My hats off to these guys for making such finely recorded tracks available for free.

Myself? I'm a huge and long standing fan of Janes Addiction and I'll be damned if the available version of "Chip Away" isn't the best I've ever heard ...

I chose to download the .WAV files ... but I'm sure the .FLACS are just as good.

Anyway.

Here's a link:
[size=large]
NIN|JA 2009[/size]

Get it while the getting's good!

atsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 23
Not sure what's going wrong as I don't have a clue about torrents, but I downloaded BitTorrent and then opened the torrent file but I just get a 'bad data from tracker' error and the download never even starts.

Can anyone help? Im trying to d/l the WAV version if that makes a difference.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what's going wrong as I don't have a clue about torrents, but I downloaded BitTorrent and then opened the torrent file but I just get a 'bad data from tracker' error and the download never even starts.

Can anyone help? Im trying to d/l the WAV version if that makes a difference.

Don't know what to say ...

I use a Firefox/IE plugin called "FlashGet" ... it's a download manager of sorts ... it handled the download just fine.

Do a google on FlashGet and try installing it ... maybe that will simplify things?

I'm not much of a torrent downloader myself but FlashGet always seems to handle it fine.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 23
The bass drum (and otherwise, percussion) is astonishing in Jane's "Chip Away" ... a demo track in the making ...

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass drum (and otherwise, percussion) is astonishing in Jane's "Chip Away" ... a demo track in the making ...

Have you checked out NIN's "Non-Entity" from the same comp? Now that's a bass drum/all around bad-ass drum sound. Being an audio engineer, the production on that track alone makes me all giddy. And it's also a really great track.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything Reznor can't do?

I love this so much.

How about defining an entire genre of music? Pioneering how people produce music and use of computers/laptops? Defining various beats and methods? If you are impressed by Reznor check out BT. Shortly after his career takes off, already known as "godfather" of Trance. Collaborates with Roots and other British hip hop artists, some of the best beats I've heard. Wins Academy Award for the "Moster" soundtrack. Goes on to produce one of the best selling albums in past decade with N'sync (Yeah yeah, but impressive). And then comes out with Binary Universe, the most impressive full 5.1 surround sound music I've heard yet. BT makes Reznor look like an infant when it comes to music. Also BT can play the piano, bass, guitar, not just a producer. Incredible with remixes and has had an impressive career as dj also.

The whole combination of orchestra with Trance has been accredited to BT also, as he was the first to truly blend the two together seamlessly, and yes, a full orchestra set, not electronic b.s.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 23
i am surprised BT isnt even mentioned here.... on electronic music forums and fan forums..he is like the father of trance...the guy who really pushed the limits.

he has also developed a software but only for mac..as he knows Windows softwares are cracked.

really awesome people.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 23
Yeah what is really amazing, BT is one man. He does all his work including composition for the 86 piece orchestras. No one else, he does it all. But yes he has preference for Mac because when he pretty much pioneered use of Computers, as he found MIDI to be too inferior for his needs, P.C internal timing was not acceptable. Since then has changed, for BT is has become what he is comfortable with past few decades. As Nocturnal mentioned, BT is also an accomplished programmer. And really gives back to the community. He runs a site where people can ask for ideas and advice, and he freely teaches them how to do what they want to do. It's amazing.

Just look at Sasha and how Paul van Dyke now produce their music? It's literally the same way BT does it, mostly because he taught them, hehe. Reznor is pretty amateur in comparison. He took what he gathered from observing in the studio and made some popular music. It's quite an accomplishment, but it's no more impressive than any other band that got radio air play. He really has not ventured beyond the sound of his debut album. B.T is just one example, there are many more impressive artists who have been successful in more than just one genre of music and different methods of making music.

But honestly, if you like NIN, and Reznor's music. Check out Front Line Assembly. They were among the pioneers that really brought Industrial music to the popularity it has today. Vancouver, Canadian scene, along with Econoline Crush. Good stuff, and IMO much much much better than NIN. And yes a few members of Front Line Assembly made music outside of their original comfort zone and made some incredible ambient, chillout, Trance with acts like Delerium and Conjure One.

But Reznor's publicity with releasing good quality music free is admirable, I like what he is doing.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about defining an entire genre of music?

To be perfectly honest I don't understand why "defining" a genre has any real meaning, as long as the music sounds good. I personally don't care about that, I just find Trentz music to be more refined than the earlier pioneers such as Front Line Assembly and KMFDM.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 23
In all out honesty why is BT being recommended in this thread? You're asking fans of NIN, industrial music to listen to some boring genre like trance? No thanks, regardless to how good BT is. No thank you to Dance/DJ/House music either. Trent Reznor is not all about the sounds he make with a computer, it's his words which go along with it. That's what makes NIN special.

And oh, Wang Lee Hom (a Chinese Pop Star) can play more instruments than BT. I'm just saying. Lol. I don't even like Lee Hom.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 23
Because someone asked is there anything Reznor can't do? And my reply was, yes, lots of things.

But that doesn't mean I haven't been a fan of NIN since Pretty Hate Machine and seen him in concert. I just don't worship him, nor think he is amazing. Fun to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back