You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Apr 3, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #4,936 of 6,112
YKYAAW you sell off your golf clubs, to fund future headphone purchases lol. Going to go watch " Caddy Shack" lol. :D

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,937 of 6,112
YKYAAW your list of stuff you want for your birthday is literally all audiophile gear. 

Hoping for either a FiiO E07k or a Sennheiser HD558. If not, maybe an E11k or Schiit Fulla.

YKYAAW you ask for a hearing test at your physical, just to see how well you'll be able to hear headphones.

YKYAAW you fail the hearing test in your left ear and get very worried.

So this place was using some weird IEMs that automatically tested your hearing- you didn't say when you heard it, the IEM could apparently tell. In my left ear, the thing said I had a ton of trouble hearing. Obviously, this got me worried, because my hearing is one of the most important things to me. After finishing up some other stuff, they tested me again, this time with the old fashioned way of having the nurse press the button and me giving a thumbs up when I heard it. I heard everything, and had perfect hearing according to this test, which I was happy about. 

I don't see how a machine could automatically test your hearing and be very accurate. The older way of doing it would certainly be more accurate.

YKYAAW you leave the doctor's, happy that your hearing is very good.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,938 of 6,112
YYAAW you switched to OS X recently and download parallels and windows on trials just to split some .cue files properly.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4,939 of 6,112
YKYAAW you finally realize that your $85 Sony MDR-7506 is far superior to most headphones in the $100-1,000 range. (It just has some treble peaks and doesn't sound as "refined" as some others.) The $349 Focal Spirit Professional is still my favorite.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4,940 of 6,112
YKYAAW your activity has revolved for the last days on creating a new program for music.

BTW, a thing to rejoice for all audiophiles, specially those who are on the poor side, i am designing a software solution that should sound better than anything and be free.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,942 of 6,112
  YKYAAW your activity has revolved for the last days on creating a new program for music.

BTW, a thing to rejoice for all audiophiles, specially those who are on the poor side, i am designing a software solution that should sound better than anything and be free.

That's interesting. What does it do? / How does it work? I didn't know you were a programmer.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #4,943 of 6,112

That's interesting. What does it do? / How does it work? I didn't know you were a programmer.

The program is made to re-sample and upsample music in a new way.

basically, i am learning how DACs convert bits into music, and how it can sound better. 

The bases of the project are that sony in '70 choose 44.100 samples per second because the niquist-shannon sampling theorem states that this is the absolute minimum possible sampling rate for recording a 20khz signal. this never meant that 44.100 samples per second are sufficient. a human can hear way under 1ms differences, and those differences make a world in perception of space, tonality and some fine details, that normally are not considered by brain.

to tell it short, interpolation algorytms, like linear interpolation used by almost all DACs in decoding are not exact, are... bad sounding. drawing a line between two samples is never a smooth wave. i can create new samples based on the existing ones, and draw curved lines. i do not guarantee that lines would be enough curved to make a difference, but by putting more samples, i can make the straight line closer to how it naturally looks, always curved. Even if it will not be perfect, by considering more than one sample, the resoulting wave can be interpolated, with already existing algorythms, i am not a genius to invent these, i am an engeneer to use them as efficient as possible.

Basically, what you are looking at is a usual re-sampling engine to 32/176400 that does make a big difference. it should be able to add 4 samples every second. it could also run in 16/176400, this is for me to decide afterwards, based on how much i can do with existing algorythms.

the reason for this never being implemented usually, is because most considered that 44100 was enough, which hugo demonstrated that is not.

If the project becomes too complicated, or need to be run in a particular envoirment, it could lead to me constructing a particular DAC to do it, but i think that i should be able to use only computer processor power, i am trying to make a free as possible project, i will try to continue the project based on donations. I can not make promises that it will sound better than anything, we have to see, what i will be able to do. it might take lots of time.

Basically i am not a programer, but i know how to write programs, and even efficient ones, it is in universiy courses.

At a certain point, one might ask if this process could not be done in the labs, making the track like this, the answer is not, the resampling algorythms usually used in recording studios are linear, and they do not actually help resolve the problem, and might actually make it worse, killing dynamic range [interpolation between two 3d spaces of samples, considering that loudness can create a 3rd dimension in a spectrogram]

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4,944 of 6,112

That's awesome! You should just splash a bunch of Head-Fier's names around in a "Head-Fi" section.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #4,945 of 6,112
YKYAAW you find a way to incorporate headphones into schoolwork

Maybe I should compete with you and make something like this my final project for programming class 
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #4,946 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you find a way to incorporate headphones into schoolwork

Maybe I should compete with you and make something like this my final project for programming class 
tongue.gif

Collaboration is a much better route (though school may frown on it, collaboration of projects is a better learning experience).

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,947 of 6,112
  Collaboration is a much better route (though school may frown on it, collaboration of projects is a better learning experience).

not necessarly.

collaborating can be done only if the other person fully understands what you are doing. extremely complicated projects have a higher chance do be done correctly alone, if there is no one to work with who can understand what you are doing, or does not have the knowledge to help you.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,948 of 6,112
  not necessarly.

collaborating can be done only if the other person fully understands what you are doing. extremely complicated projects have a higher chance do be done correctly alone, if there is no one to work with who can understand what you are doing, or does not have the knowledge to help you.

I can agree with this, Though real world programming is usually multiple programmers working together, thus a more practical learning experience.  Lets say 1 person fully understands the algorithm. The other person develops the GUI and communications between each other gives ideas.  Maybe i'm being a bit of an idealist.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #4,949 of 6,112

This xiaomi mi note pro is literally what I have been waiting for. It has such a powerful processor, crazy high resolution display, awesome battery, 4GB of RAM (ikr), and best of all, the ES9018 DAC paired with TI's OPA1612 amp! And it costs half the price of a Samsung galaxy S5 without contract! This is the phone I have always dreamed of, one with both awesome audio hardware and high performance at a relatively low price!

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4,950 of 6,112
Moreover, when it reaches Singapore, where I live, it will probably be the exact same price as it is in China, as with all other xiaomi phones. Benefits of living in an Asian country I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back