You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Mar 16, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #4,726 of 6,112
This. More than $400 on a headphone and more than $600 on IEM is impractical. The best headphones are the ones you like the most, and most high end headphones aren't worth the money or have drawbacks.

YKYAAW you trade your closed headphones for an open headphone that, according to this review, is better than the HD 800 and 95% as good as the STAX SR-007MK2! (Can't believe the Schiit Fulla can drive a 660 ohm headphone...)

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #4,727 of 6,112
This. More than $400 on a headphone and more than $600 on IEM is impractical. The best headphones are the ones you like the most, and most high end headphones aren't worth the money or have drawbacks.

YKYAAW you trade your closed headphones for an open headphone that, according to this review, is better than the HD 800 and 95% as good as the STAX SR-007MK2! (Can't believe the Schiit Fulla can drive a 660 ohm headphone...)

The HD800 sounds like a live performance on a few select songs. It's good, but you could spend half on a decent speaker setup and get a better effect. And also, I have the beyer 800 600ohm too, and it's the best headphone I've tried (i've tried audeze, higher beyers, foxtex, you name it) but the 880 win because they can play multiple sounds accurately at once, and make it realistic... All from a FiiO E17. Imagine what a high end amp would do.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #4,728 of 6,112
The HD800 sounds like a live performance on a few select songs. It's good, but you could spend half on a decent speaker setup and get a better effect. And also, I have the beyer 800 600ohm too, and it's the best headphone I've tried (i've tried audeze, higher beyers, foxtex, you name it) but the 880 win because they can play multiple sounds accurately at once, and make it realistic... All from a FiiO E17. Imagine what a high end amp would do.

Oh, sweet, I didn't even realize you had it!
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna order the Fulla today (it should be able to get plenty of volume) and upgrade to a better amp later on.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #4,729 of 6,112
well, my end game rig is all about ultrasone signature dj and ie800 as headphone/iem, with maybe a paird of hd800, depending on what i will think about them when i test next time.

i tested things that were much cheaper, and much more expensive, the only other things i liked were ultrasone dj one pro, sennheiser ie8, sennheiser hd650.

i had tested beyerdynamic, but dt770pro, it was muffled, not enough separation. 

YKYAAW you ask yourself if a samsung galaxy note 4 can sound the same or better as a fiio e18, or if you should get an e18 for AMV watching purposes.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #4,730 of 6,112
I am so depressed, guys...I have to wait a week or more to receive my two new headphones.
frown.gif

And when my Schiit Fulla arrives (probably in two days), I will only have the V-MODA Crossfade LP to use with it...and that headphone sounds like mud. Only other thing I have is my cheap USB speakers, which I'll have to make do with...

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #4,731 of 6,112
well, my end game rig is all about ultrasone signature dj and ie800 as headphone/iem, with maybe a paird of hd800, depending on what i will think about them when i test next time.

i tested things that were much cheaper, and much more expensive, the only other things i liked were ultrasone dj one pro, sennheiser ie8, sennheiser hd650.

i had tested beyerdynamic, but dt770pro, it was muffled, not enough separation. 

YKYAAW you ask yourself if a samsung galaxy note 4 can sound the same or better as a fiio e18, or if you should get an e18 for AMV watching purposes.

Try the DT880 before you get he HD650. The 880s so much better. It also is more balanced across the range than the HD800, which is mostly for acoustic / accapellas.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #4,732 of 6,112

Review stated he preferred that headphone over the HD800 - needs to be taken with a grain of salt like all reviews.  

Higher end headphones tend to scale better, but don't necessarily work better in all systems or to all ears.

For the price though I don't think there is too much competition apart from K7XX.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #4,733 of 6,112
  Review stated he preferred that headphone over the HD800 - needs to be taken with a grain of salt like all reviews.  

Higher end headphones tend to scale better, but don't necessarily work better in all systems or to all ears.

For the price though I don't think there is too much competition apart from K7XX.

Right under that, he says this:

They sound much better than Ultrasone Edition 8 and Sennheiser HD800.

But, of course, this is all personal preference in the end.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #4,734 of 6,112

Right under that, he says this:

But, of course, this is all personal preference in the end.

Yep, it does all comes down to preference, system used, criteria of evaluation, YMMV etc.  Don't forget the salt! 
beyersmile.png

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #4,735 of 6,112
YKYAAW a headphone that you previously disregarded is considered better than other good headphones you tried, so now you start searching for a meet to go to

Honestly, the HD800 was a bit of a disappointment. I guess I had high standards for it, and I tried it early in the meet so that it would be very impressive compared to my other headphones. It was great, but didn't blow me away. The first and only headphone to truly blow me away was the first open-backed one I tried, the Sennheiser RS180 (basically a wireless HD598). At the meet, the ZMF Blackwood and HE-400i really impressed me, but neither one really blew me away like the RS180; it was likely the soundstage and tonality of the RS180 that impressed me because it was my first time hearing something so clear with such a soundstage. After trying that, the headphones got better, but not 3 times better like going from my iPod + SRH440 to the RS180 set up.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,736 of 6,112
YKYAAW this actually happened:

The audio hobby is a journey, not a destination, and the directions we travel change as we buy equipment and gather more experience. Slow down and take some time to smell the roses (i.e. enjoy the equipment you have) along the way instead of rushing to find the penultimate experience, as if such a thing actually exists. There will always be something better (the grass is always greener). Take your time more before moving onto the next thing
smily_headphones1.gif

And just for that remark...

Behold the wrath of the Alchemist:

mwahaha!
darthsmile.gif

(But really, I'm getting this because I have to wait weeks to receive the JVC and a week to receive the beyers and I'm really impatient and have wanted to try the Sony MDR-7506 for awhile anyway because it's one of the most popular studio monitor headphones and the headphones I have with me right now sound like mud.)

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,737 of 6,112
YYAAW you amp your IEMs through a 3 chain setup just to see what happens.
Source -> preamp -> Denon amp

It was good for 10 minutes, then the treble kicked in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back