You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,871 of 6,113

The Signature PRO and Signature DJ are actually in the Signature line, whereas the DJ 1 and DJ 1 PRO are in the DJ line.

actually this is quite the fun thing. the headphones from ultrasone follow a certain rule. every pro headphone has a sound. every dj headphone has a sound, every hifi has a sound, and editions all have different sound... the thing is that ultrasone groups them more by price than by how they sound. as far as my knowledge goes, dj one, dj onr pro and signature dj are having similar signatures, the same rule goes with pro 900 and sig pro and pro 750. 

in this sense, as i understand, dj line has the best soundstage from all, and the others have other pros and cons.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3,872 of 6,113
  actually this is quite the fun thing. the headphones from ultrasone follow a certain rule. every pro headphone has a sound. every dj headphone has a sound, every hifi has a sound, and editions all have different sound... the thing is that ultrasone groups them more by price than by how they sound. as far as my knowledge goes, dj one, dj onr pro and signature dj are having similar signatures, the same rule goes with pro 900 and sig pro and pro 750. 

in this sense, as i understand, dj line has the best soundstage from all, and the others have other pros and cons.

Yeah, I'm sure the Signature DJ sounds more like the DJ line. I was just splitting hairs there. =D

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,873 of 6,113
You know you are an Audiophile when you cringe when your friends go on and on about  how great BOSE products sound...

I'm ashamed to admit that I owned a pair of BOSE 901 series 3 (I think) way back in 1977.  Hung them from the ceiling in the corners of my living room and thought I was in audio nirvana... 

Within a month I'd traded them  in on a pair of Allison Acoustics A-1's  (designed by Roy Allison of AR fame) and actually entered the world of high fidelity.  

My wife bugged me for years to buy a BOSE Wave radio because of the incessant advertising on TV but she finally gave up!  I take pride in that. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,874 of 6,113
  You know you are an Audiophile when you cringe when your friends go on and on about  how great BOSE products sound...

I'm ashamed to admit that I owned a pair of BOSE 901 series 3 (I think) way back in 1977.  Hung them from the ceiling in the corners of my living room and thought I was in audio nirvana... 

Within a month I'd traded them  in on a pair of Allison Acoustics A-1's  (designed by Roy Allison of AR fame) and actually entered the world of high fidelity.  

My wife bugged me for years to buy a BOSE Wave radio because of the incessant advertising on TV but she finally gave up!  I take pride in that. 

YKYAAW (armed with an aftermarket headphone cable) your Bose headphones sound much better than every sub-$400 headphone you've heard. (This may change once my newest headphone comes in tomorrow.)

But yeah, I agree about Bose stereo products being nothing special.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #3,876 of 6,113
I've been looking at headphones the whole day for 12 hours now.....I even planned what I'm going to buy each month for the whole year....cure me from this sickness. XD

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #3,878 of 6,113
I hear ya' about BOSE headphones sounding good which a lot of people (including my wife) say is all that really matters. Their marketing has certainly been effective over the years.  Nothing wrong with that...

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,879 of 6,113
  I hear ya' about BOSE headphones sounding good which a lot of people (including my wife) say is all that really matters. Their marketing has certainly been effective over the years.  Nothing wrong with that...

The crazy thing is that I was trying to find better-sounding headphones, because they do have plenty of problems...and every time I bought a pair of new headphones that was praised as having so much higher fidelity than the QC15, I had the opposite experience: despite the QC15 being a colored headphone, it still got much closer to the recording than the ones I've tried so far! The only exception is the Sennheiser HD 558, which only beat it in terms of clarity and spaciousness, in my opinion; I still prefer the QC15 overall. The main problem of the QC15 is that with the stock cable, it sounds very sibilant and shrill sometimes, even to the point of physical pain. With the V-MODA Audio Only Cable, it sounds much better, except the channels are switched. So to make a long story short, I think I'm going to have to get more expensive headphones to get a better experience. My NVX XPT100 is arriving in a few hours, and I'm hoping it will be better...but I'm 99% sure the Focal Spirit Professional will be much better, once I can afford it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #3,880 of 6,113

The crazy thing is that I was trying to find better-sounding headphones, because they do have plenty of problems...and every time I bought a pair of new headphones that was praised as having so much higher fidelity than the QC15, I had the opposite experience: despite the QC15 being a colored headphone, it still got much closer to the recording than the ones I've tried so far! The only exception is the Sennheiser HD 558, which only beat it in terms of clarity and spaciousness, in my opinion; I still prefer the QC15 overall. The main problem of the QC15 is that with the stock cable, it sounds very sibilant and shrill sometimes, even to the point of physical pain. With the V-MODA Audio Only Cable, it sounds much better, except the channels are switched. So to make a long story short, I think I'm going to have to get more expensive headphones to get a better experience. My NVX XPT100 is arriving in a few hours, and I'm hoping it will be better...but I'm 99% sure the Focal Spirit Professional will be much better, once I can afford it.

i really don't understand why you are excluding ultrasone in general. akg k550 would be something that you could consider.. hm... let's see... 300$ range.. yes, k550, ultrasone dj one pro, ultrasone pro 750, sennheiser hd 600, if you can fiind it at that price [from romania, i can fiind it around 400$], and that would be it. there are not a lot of options, for what sound great, and close to what has been recorded. 

if you are searching for something not sibilant, do not try ultrasone, they are very sibilant.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #3,881 of 6,113
  i really don't understand why you are excluding ultrasone in general. akg k550 would be something that you could consider.. hm... let's see... 300$ range.. yes, k550, ultrasone dj one pro, ultrasone pro 750, sennheiser hd 600, if you can fiind it at that price [from romania, i can fiind it around 400$], and that would be it. there are not a lot of options, for what sound great, and close to what has been recorded. 

if you are searching for something not sibilant, do not try ultrasone, they are very sibilant.

Ultrasone has a very bad reputation. They're near the bottom of my wish list. The only AKG headphone I want is the K812 and maybe the K1000. I am mildly interested in the HD 600, but I would only get it after the Focal Spirit Professional. There are plenty of options; you just don't know about them, apparently. I'm mainly interested in ultra-high-end headphones, but my budget won't allow that for the time being.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,882 of 6,113
@BillsonChang007

Did the HM5's sound change over time? I just got the NVX XPT100 (which uses the same drivers) and there is far too much midrange and treble emphasis, with very little bass or depth to the music. Studio monitors are supposed to sound accurate and realistic, not artificial, like I'm listening through a tunnel or something, so I'm trying to figure out what is going on with all these studio monitor headphones I'm getting that sound artificial.

To their credit, they do sound pretty clear, but accurate audio has far more bass, depth, and fullness than this.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3,883 of 6,113
@BillsonChang007

Did the HM5's sound change over time? I just got the NVX XPT100 (which uses the same drivers) and there is far too much midrange and treble emphasis, with very little bass or depth to the music. Studio monitors are supposed to sound accurate and realistic, not artificial, like I'm listening through a tunnel or something, so I'm trying to figure out what is going on with all these studio monitor headphones I'm getting that sound artificial.

To their credit, they do sound pretty clear, but accurate audio has far more bass, depth, and fullness than this.

Sorry to derail the thread even more here but did yours come with the angled pads? They seem to be discontinued, I can't find them anywhere

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,884 of 6,113
Sorry to derail the thread even more here but did yours come with the angled pads? They seem to be discontinued, I can't find them anywhere

They're not discontinued. They still come with both sets of pads - straight and angled.

On the product page, you can even scroll down and order extra pads. (Probably better prices elsewhere, though.)

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #3,885 of 6,113
They're not discontinued. They still come with both sets of pads - straight and angled.

On the product page, you can even scroll down and order extra pads. (Probably better prices elsewhere, though.)

They disappeared off amazon here in the states and if I try to order from the manufacturer it says they can't be shipped here. I hear they fit my sonys, so I'd love to give them a try

Back on topic ykyaaw you don't consider it odd to have multiple different pads for the same headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back