You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,661 of 6,112
I am wondering why nobody yet doesnt transform these different masters of hi res to redbook CD so that we could have these different masters without sacrificing so much space...

Because they need you to pay more money for "more resolution" (which no human can even hear). If money is really is no object, then you could always compress it to redbook standard.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #3,662 of 6,112
YKYAAW when u get a sony brochure just for its hi res (pun intended)* photo of the MDR-Z7 on the front page.

*a moment of silence for those who do not understand the pun**

**its actually a reference to sony's aggresive marketing of hi res audio.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #3,663 of 6,112
YKYAAW when u get a sony brochure just for its hi res (pun intended)* photo of the MDR-Z7 on the front page.

*a moment of silence for those who do not understand the pun**

**its actually a reference to sony's aggresive marketing of hi res audio.

I listened to song's top of the line offering (headphones & DAP) and they're trying to bring audiophile quality audio to the mainstream, but it's way too bassy and unbalanced - not even a fun sound, and way too expensive. The X5 is better.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,664 of 6,112
Definitely not. If you listen to new headphones once, burn them in overnight even, there is a noticeable difference.

Re burn-in, my MF 'phones sounded pretty harsh out of the box. The second time I listened to them was two days later, after leaving them playing non-stop somewhere where I couldn't hear them making a noise. They certainly sounded different.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,665 of 6,112
^i believe in burn in. My old super cheap budgets always took forever to burn in.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,666 of 6,112
I listened to song's top of the line offering (headphones & DAP) and they're trying to bring audiophile quality audio to the mainstream, but it's way too bassy and unbalanced - not even a fun sound, and way too expensive. The X5 is better.
I always hated how sony stuff looks so nice but sounds so bad

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,667 of 6,112
Re burn-in, my MF 'phones sounded pretty harsh out of the box. The second time I listened to them was two days later, after leaving them playing non-stop somewhere where I couldn't hear them making a noise. They certainly sounded different.

If it wasn't pink noise you aren't a true audiophile (kidding, no but really pink noise is the best).
YKYAAW you use pink noise to burn in your headphones.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,668 of 6,112
  I am wondering why nobody yet doesnt transform these different masters of hi res to redbook CD so that we could have these different masters without sacrificing so much space...

Just use dBpoweramp or foobar2000 to convert it to whatever format you need. Or be like me and get a 12 TB hard drive array! =D

If it wasn't pink noise you aren't a true audiophile (kidding, no but really pink noise is the best).
YKYAAW you use pink noise to burn in your headphones.

Playing pink noise overnight did nothing for my M40x. But Audio-Technica thinks I have a defective unit, so I sent it in for repairs.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,669 of 6,112
Just use dBpoweramp or foobar2000 to convert it to whatever format you need. Or be like me and get a 12 TB hard drive array! =D

Playing pink noise overnight did nothing for my M40x. But Audio-Technica thinks I have a defective unit, so I sent it in for repairs.

Foobar2000 is the greatest application ever created. It can do like everything.

Audio Technica has some of the best customer support I've ever seen. They're very good.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3,670 of 6,112
Foobar2000 is the greatest application ever created. It can do like everything.

Audio Technica has some of the best customer support I've ever seen. They're very good.

I only use foobar2000 as a music player, because I greatly prefer dBpoweramp's features and interface.

I couldn't afford to send the package to them via UPS Next Day Air, so it will take much longer for me to get it back.

Turnaround time for repairs is typically five to six working days from when a repair is received by ATUS. We do everything possible to repair products received by UPS NEXT DAY AIR the day it is received. Repairs received UPS NEXT DAY AIR are returned to the customer also by UPS NEXT DAY AIR. Any other carrier or delivery priority is subject to the current repair turnaround time.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #3,671 of 6,112
I only use foobar2000 as a music player, because I greatly prefer dBpoweramp's features and interface.

I couldn't afford to send the package to them via UPS Next Day Air, so it will take much longer for me to get it back.

I don't really use Foobars features and stuff, but I could. Like you can use it to rip CDs, but EAC does a better job IMO. I like the customizability of Foobars layout however and it's open source (open source is the future. I love open source, its the best). That sucks about your M40s though. If I was without my ATs for a long time I'd have to like use my astro a40s or something lol. Or my RP-HTX7s :frowning2:

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #3,673 of 6,112
I don't really use Foobars features and stuff, but I could. Like you can use it to rip CDs, but EAC does a better job IMO. I like the customizability of Foobars layout however and it's open source (open source is the future. I love open source, its the best). That sucks about your M40s though. If I was without my ATs for a long time I'd have to like use my astro a40s or something lol. Or my RP-HTX7s
frown.gif

Here's my preference:
foobar2000: play music
dBpoweramp: rip CDs, convert files, edit tags and artwork, edit audio
Exact Audio Copy: backup for when damaged discs don't do well with dBpoweramp's error correction
iTunes: organize and transfer music to iPod

Well, my M40x sounded really bad, like much worse than my QC15, which is very enjoyable in comparison. Hopefully, when it returns, it will be the opposite. If not, I'll return it.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,674 of 6,112
Here's my preference:
foobar2000: play music
dBpoweramp: rip CDs, convert files, edit tags and artwork, edit audio
Exact Audio Copy: backup for when damaged discs don't do well with dBpoweramp's error correction
iTunes: organize and transfer music to iPod

Well, my M40x sounded really bad, like much worse than my QC15, which is very enjoyable in comparison. Hopefully, when it returns, it will be the opposite. If not, I'll return it.

Foobar2000: play music, tag music when EAC doesn't tag properly, convert FLAC to lossy files for my Android.
EAC: rip to FLAC, add album art, tag
ITunes:disregard iTunes completely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back