You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Dec 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3,526 of 6,112
I certainly wouldn't buy stuff above 44.1khz/16bit fo extra money, but if it was the same price as the CD, I would jump at it. I don't see a point in high-res stuff, but why not get it if it's the same price? More information (whether able to be heard or not) for the same price would be great.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,527 of 6,112
  I certainly wouldn't buy stuff above 44.1khz/16bit fo extra money, but if it was the same price as the CD, I would jump at it. I don't see a point in high-res stuff, but why not get it if it's the same price? More information (whether able to be heard or not) for the same price would be great.

For me, some high-res albums are well worth the extra cost - but only ones that came from a different master or, in some cases, a different recording altogether. (It's not so much "more" information as it is "different" information.) ...Though I think many of you know the ungodly amount of money I've spent on my music collection.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3,528 of 6,112
I'm getting the FiiO X1, 128GB MicroSD Card, SE215, and Schiit Fulla. My mom doesn't really care as long as I don't spend a lot on one thing (Once told her I was planning to get $200 headphones, Grado SR225i, and she freaked)

My parents used to tell me that, always spend more to buy better so that less hassle / jealousy in the future and I think I should use that agajnst my wife next time when I am buying Abyss :D

YKYAAW your temptation to buy CDs when you visit a music store is super high!

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #3,530 of 6,112
My parents used to tell me that, always spend more to buy better so that less hassle / jealousy in the future and I think I should use that agajnst my wife next time when I am buying Abyss
biggrin.gif

YKYAAW your temptation to buy CDs when you visit a music store is super high!

YKYAAW someone actually told you, "I think if the Abyss could file a restraining order against you, it would have done that a long time ago. Stalker."

YKYAAW you have dreams about buying CDs in mystical music stores and are very upset after waking up to realize it wasn't real.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3,532 of 6,112
YKYAAW people talk about money and the only thing you think is the headphones you can buy with it.

YKYAAW instead of spending money on audio equipment, you save it to get even better audio equipment in the future! :D

Or, YKYAAW you build a personal collection by buying used equipment so you better can justify your "savings" towards your dream rig AND enjoy the journey at the same time..
The trick is a little at a time in slowly incremental steps.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,533 of 6,112
Or, YKYAAW you build a personal collection by buying used equipment so you better can justify your "savings" towards your dream rig AND enjoy the journey at the same time..
The trick is a little at a time in slowly incremental steps.

True. I'm actually about to browse the for sale forums to see if there are any good deals. Even before selling my stuff as planned (which could give me an extra thousand bucks if I sell it all), I have $130-150 set aside...and I must say, I'm tempted to just get some new headphones immediately. The AKG K240 have my eye.

Anyone have recommendations for a relatively neutral and accurate headphone in that price range? (Must be circumaural with detachable cable.)

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,535 of 6,112
Alright! So once I wake up, I'm gonna go out and get the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x!

It's interesting that all the popular articles say they actually have better and more neutral sound quality than the ATH-M50x, which is $70 more expensive.

If I ordered them on Amazon, I could get a FiiO E6 amp for free, but I don't know if it would do much for these headphones with an iPod.

Any ideas for accessories? I should have at least $20 left over.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #3,536 of 6,112
The M50x is better. I auditioned both, and i am also an owner of the M50x. the M40x is more piercing in the treble, less refined overall, bass extends less deep, and the details are not as well presented spatially and are also sometimes a little more congested. The M40x also feels A LOT more clacky and rickety (build wise) than the solid and reassuring M50x

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #3,537 of 6,112
  Alright! So once I wake up, I'm gonna go out and get the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x!

It's interesting that all the popular articles say they actually have better and more neutral sound quality than the ATH-M50x, which is $70 more expensive.

If I ordered them on Amazon, I could get a FiiO E6 amp for free, but I don't know if it would do much for these headphones with an iPod.

both ath m40x and ath m50x have no soundstage. if you can live with that, they are both sounding good, and prettydetailed, m50 would still have the upper hand..
but no soundstage at all...

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #3,538 of 6,112

I currently have both ATH-M50 and HM5. The HM5 are far better IMO in terms of everything but I only have the HM5 for less than 3 hours so I can't speak too much for it yet

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,539 of 6,112
The M50x is better. I auditioned both, and i am also an owner of the M50x. the M40x is more piercing in the treble, less refined overall, bass extends less deep, and the details are not as well presented spatially and are also sometimes a little more congested. The M40x also feels A LOT more clacky and rickety (build wise) than the solid and reassuring M50x

According to many others who have owned them instead of just listening to a demo model, the M40x is more neutral and accurate, but just takes a while to burn in. That's why I want it.

I currently have both ATH-M50 and HM5. The HM5 are far better IMO in terms of everything but I only have the HM5 for less than 3 hours so I can't speak too much for it yet

The HM5 was on my "short list" when I was researching last night. Maybe I could audition them too when I visit Best Buy.

Edit: Argh. The Best Buy near me doesn't have either model in stock. Now what should I do to get one today?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #3,540 of 6,112
According to many others who have owned them instead of just listening to a demo model, the M40x is more neutral and accurate, but just takes a while to burn in. That's why I want it.

The HM5 was on my "short list" when I was researching last night. Maybe I could audition them too when I visit Best Buy.

Edit: Argh. The Best Buy near me doesn't have either model in stock. Now what should I do to get one today?

Since you are looking for something neutral and accurate, the Hm5 should be a better suit than the ATH-M50 IMO

YKYAAW you help suggestion in tbis thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back