You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,771 of 6,113
I was exactly the same, when I started this hobby with my XB700 I thought £100 was a lot for headphones,now if someone says to me they spent £1000 on a pair of cans I probably won't be surprised. Also for under $100 the Denon AH-D1100 are brilliant for bass heavy music, I would recommend them for anyone just starting out.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,772 of 6,113
The Grado's are pretty heavily coloured(and stupidly expensive in the UK). I preferred the DT880. Not sure about closed. I haven't got any sub $150 closed headphones. I like the Shure SRH840 and the KRK KNS8400 though.

Can't really say the AH-D1100 is that great. Build quality is fairly naff, even when it's sold for £35 in Sainsburys like it was last summer.

Haha, my price range just keeps rising. These days I'm finding that $1-1.5k is not bad value territory. The Fostex TH600 and 900 are certainly great headphone for bassy music.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,775 of 6,113
I've always recommended v-moda's various cans for casual listening headphones between $100-200. They have good but not too bloated bass and the rest of the range isn't bad either. Plus they come in a bunch of colors and have a rugged design that looks way better than any of the ugly we like to listen to. Although I will say companies like Sennheiser are starting to make headphones that look as good as they sound.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,776 of 6,113
Really, there is no excuse for having bad cans whatever the price. Also, some other Crossfade LP and LP2s are hard to find in the UK, unless you have £150 to spend, way too much. Even if you only have like £50, there are still Me electronics IEMs and other budget options.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,777 of 6,113
You know you're an audiophile when you question satellite radio's quality because it sounds like super compressed MP3s along the lines of 128-192 kbps in a car stereo system. Seriously, this sounds like garbage and I feel sorry for anyone who actually pays for it.

Likewise for so-called HD radio....

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,778 of 6,113
Do you ever have those days when your system just sounds off? I have 
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,781 of 6,113
You know you're an audiophile when you question satellite radio's quality because it sounds like super compressed MP3s along the lines of 128-192 kbps in a car stereo system. Seriously, this sounds like garbage and I feel sorry for anyone who actually pays for it.

Then I can assure you thar you will hate Airplane's music: those in the monitor screen. Then pair it with a open-headset provided by the airline. Music at it's worse condition T.T

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,782 of 6,113
To date I havent seen anyone on the train who looks like a Head Fier. Some people have B**ts, some the crappy stock ear buds(they use Samsung ear buds with iDevices and vice-versa) and some use low end JVC and Sennheiser IEMs. Once I saw someone with an MDR 1R but they also had an Xperia Z, leading me to believe they were only using them because they got them free in the bundle deal.

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,783 of 6,113

Then I can assure you thar you will hate Airplane's music: those in the monitor screen. Then pair it with a open-headset provided by the airline. Music at it's worse condition T.T
True true, but some airlines have a Korean pop music channel. :p
That's always fun to listen to.

I hate those 2-pronged jacks too. Sometimes you can wiggle/pull out the headphone cable plug and you'll get 2-channel stereo sound when it's supposed to be one side only.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,784 of 6,113
To date I havent seen anyone on the train who looks like a Head Fier. Some people have B**ts, some the crappy stock ear buds(they use Samsung ear buds with iDevices and vice-versa) and some use low end JVC and Sennheiser IEMs. Once I saw someone with an MDR 1R but they also had an Xperia Z, leading me to believe they were only using them because they got them free in the bundle deal.

I've never even seen anyone have Senns other than the people at Sound Lion, a HP store at Pheasant Lane Mall. Then again, no one was wearing their personal HPs but the displays.
BTW this store is in MA, anyone been there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back