You know you should end this DIY madness when... (pics inside)
Jul 20, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
...you start buying things like these two attenuator babies from ELMA
biggrin.gif
. They are custom made, ladder type attenuators with extra 1x24 wafer (its purpose won't be revealed yet, I'll leave that to the great minds of Head-Fi
wink.gif
). They will be used in my upcoming balanced DynaMight DIY project, a true dual mono design.

Don't ask me about the price, I still have severe qualms of conscience, I and my wallet won't be friends for some time, I hope it can forgive me
very_evil_smiley.gif
. OK, it cost me 3,382 CZK (VAT included) which is roughly $147 per piece, not so bad if you compare it with other ELMA vendors. Moreover, only a few of them take custom orders.

Here comes a couple of pics. I'll post some more after having done my soldering lesson - 184 resistors, 368 soldered points!
blink.gif
PRP resistors will be used, 10K resistance. An Excel calculator with my resistor values is attached. And now enjoy!
cool.gif

Hmm, what has it arrived?:
01_box.jpg

Damn it, I've removed the wrap, I must hurry now with the soldering job
wink.gif
:
02_notice.jpg

Only two? I would like full pack of ten!:
03_boxopened.jpg

Believe me, they don't like to stand this way:
07_standing.jpg

Yes, they're quite long:
06_front.jpg

A close-up view:
09_combo2.jpg

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 33
I am using FF1.5 and it took a few minutes to load. Forget about it if you are using 56K modem.
Very slow to load image from koubek1.webzdarma.cz. BTW, are these image in MB size?

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 33
Strange that the pics load so slow
confused.gif
. If I clear the cache, the pictures show up after 20sec on a 256kbps connection. The images are about 120KB in size.
I've moved the photos to Photobucket now, hope it helps. I don't think 800x600 are so big for a 56k user, just look at what Mr. Gilmore sometimes posts with his uber-camera
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 33
I really don't understand the use of the extra waffer!

it could be used to light up leds. Are you doing a LED volume indicator?
tongue.gif

This is probably the dumbest thing I said in the forums, but maybe I'm right!

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 33
Those make me jealous...they're so...pretty
eek.gif
and (probably) good sounding...well, I guess that's the next thing on the list of DIYing.
Good luck with those...

cool.gif

~Tom

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 33
that's not really custom made (in the truest sense).

I have an elma in the other amp and each layer are easily removable/installable so it's easy for them to add the extra layer that you wanted.

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 33
...and the winner is: MASantos! Congratulations!
eggosmile.gif
The extra wafer/deck should control a light ring of 24 LEDs, indicating the volume for a given balanced channel.

jarthel, if I wanted something "custom made" in your truest sense of word, I would have to take 100+ switches just to ensure ELMA would even speak with me and moreover be quite a wealthy man! For me it's satisfying that these switches aren't in the ELMA's catalog
biggrin.gif

ilikepie, waffer was a typo, should be wafer. It's one of those green widgets
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 33
All this mess because you don't want traditional volume pots? I've never had the slightest problem with them, nor they've ever seemed a bottleneck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back