You know what gets me irritated? Bose!
May 19, 2003 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I hate how people come over to my apartment, and see my decent speaker setup (Diva 4.1/C3/R3 combo, with Denon 1802) and they hear it, and it sounds good, and then they manage to fit in
eek.gif

"They sound nice, you ever heard of Bose?"

or

"These almost sound like my uncle's Bose set"

AHHH! Yesterday that happened with my Sennheiser HD580's. My friend was saying how they were good, but he liked the Bose Triports he'd heard better.

frown.gif
does this happen to anybody else out there?

May 19, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007
At least they don't sound exactly like his uncle's Bose set.

yeah, but they're suggesting that his uncle's Bose sound better than mines
frown.gif

May 19, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2

AHHH! Yesterday that happened with my Sennheiser HD580's. My friend was saying how they were good, but he liked the Bose Triports he'd heard better.

frown.gif
does this happen to anybody else out there?

Damn dude, that's the worst.... I once let a friend try my headphones and he said: "Wow these are really good!!! Wow!! Now that I've heard your headphones I can understand your passion for them and don't think you're that weird anymore!! ... But I still like my sony streetstyles better... They've got this cool silver-chrome styling!!! Wanna try??"

[size=medium]NO[/size]

May 19, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 51
Flasken...

There aren't many times (especially at the moment, with 'women' troubles') that I laugh at head-fi... but your impression of that guy... lol...
biggrin.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 51
i've had little sittings where somebody asks to listen to my etys and the only thing that goes through my head is "nasty." I guess I should stop admitting in public that I walk around school with about 600$ worth of audio gear (about 750 retail)

then they offer to let me hear theirs in return for letting them hear my etys.... i just laugh.

May 19, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 51
It often comes down to people having totally untrained ears. They just don't know what to listen for in diefferent sounding systems. For example, my brother-in-law listened to my Arcam CD23/RKV/sony CD3K and said his el cheapo Sony receiver and Sony V700s sounded the same. I nearly fell out of my chair. But, after a while of talking to him and teaching him what to listen for, he liked the sound.

Some people also just don't care about sound, and are perfectly happy with their $25 walkman and ear buds/cans that come with it. They don't know about good sound, and could care less if they did. For the rest of the world, that's why this forum exists.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Flasken...

There aren't many times (especially at the moment, with 'women' troubles') that I laugh at head-fi... but your impression of that guy... lol...
biggrin.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to hear about those women troubles..

Glad to hear that you laughed, but don't thank me!! Thank ordinary people and their amazing audio-related ignorance!! Ignorance can be a funny thing when you're the one who knows better...
tongue.gif

May 19, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 51
i just mentioned to someone at work that headphones are a hobby of mine.

"headphones?! that's a weird hoddy," he said.
"yeah, well, so is dwarf tossing!" i replied and glared at him in silence.

that'll show 'em.

May 19, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 51
i just keep my headphone jonesing a secret. The world isn't ready for it and I'm not ready to turn into a pissed off elitist headphone snob.

May 20, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Damn dude, that's the worst.... I once let a friend try my headphones and he said: "Wow these are really good!!! Wow!! Now that I've heard your headphones I can understand your passion for them and don't think you're that weird anymore!! ... But I still like my sony streetstyles better... They've got this cool silver-chrome styling!!! Wanna try??"

[size=medium]NO[/size]

LOL...thats soo sad...

May 20, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
It often comes down to people having totally untrained ears. They just don't know what to listen for in diefferent sounding systems. ... But, after a while of talking to him and teaching him what to listen for, he liked the sound.

Heh.. Another FAQ idea
wink.gif
"What to listen for..."

biggrin.gif

May 20, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Heh.. Another FAQ idea
wink.gif
"What to listen for..."

biggrin.gif

After finishing up the audio terms FAQ, count me out of FAQs for a long time.

May 20, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 51
Ohhh... do not even get me started. If I ever invent a Terminator robot, I will send it back in time to ''take out" the founder of Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back