You know it's time to move when...
Oct 15, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
Ha brilliant, grinch! I love the reaction from the fielders. I wonder how Red Sox fans would have reacted at Fenway. I'm not a huge (regular season) baseball fan but it's wierd - I thought Cubby fans were notorious for throwing balls back at visitors. Why would they care about this one then? That's just bad timing for fan interference.
frown.gif

My thinking on the matter is this:

There were a couple of forces at work here. First, which is probably the most unlikely if you look at it from a logical point of view, is that the billygoat curse is still with us. The curse posessed the fans (you will notice, the headphone guy was not the only one going for the ball, nor did any other die-hard fan try to tackle or somehow stop the headphoned fan from getting the ball). Perhaps from a more rational point of view, Cubs fans have been losing for so long that they would not know how to react to winning. Instead of feeling confused about winning, subcounciously the guy's "curse" reflex kicked in and he unwittingly intended to make the Cubs lose.

Next, often times it is the diehard fans who are unable to obtain tickets during the playoffs, because of monetary reasons, lack of connections to people in high places, and the demand is so high (it's damn hard to get tickets at face value, even if you have a small task force working for you to get through the phone lines). Now, those weren't the absolute greatest seats in the world, but they were pretty close to the field. so it's possible that the guy was just one of those fair-weathered rich "fans" who happen to live in chicago, and who doesn't follow the game quite enough to resist the knee-jerk urge to go for every foul ball that comes his way.

I know i'm totally overanalyzing things. I just need some way to justify what's happening in my mind. Of course, tonight can erase everything that has happened... or magnify it intensely.

Oh, and you should have seen the evil eye that Moises Alou gave that fan afterwards. It's not shown in the clip Grinch posted, but I can tell you it was one of the most intense looks of spite and hatred I've ever seen a player give to a fan.

Oct 15, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 40
I think the Marlins deserve most of the credit in that 8-3 loss.

Oct 15, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
I think the Marlins deserve most of the credit in that 8-3 loss.

I have to admit, I'm rootin' for the Cubs, but I agree with you Tom.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #21 of 40
My good buddy Pat ( a Chicago Firefighter) was sitting right next to that dummy. The pics show Pat reaching for the ball as well, but this is typical Pat. The TV interviews with Pat after the game were hilarious and we have been recording them all day. He was drunk as usual and was very sympathetic of the guy and says that "anybody would have done the same thing". I don't know about that,it takes a stupid Cubs fan. This is just too funny. Pat will never live this down,especially after those bums loose this series. I could'nt have written a better script myself
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #23 of 40
After tonight, it makes his act all that much more painful. He's movin' for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 40
Let's assume this jerk is listening to the ball game on his radio. When the ball is hit the radio announcer is giving a description of the play in real time saying: its a foul ball, Alou is racing for the ball, it looks like Alou has a chance, Alou is jumping up for the ball at the wall, Alou has a chance to catch it, . . .

Yeah right, he claims he did not know Alou had a chance to catch the ball!
rolleyes.gif
!

If you look at the pics Alou is going nearly straight up for the ball and the fan reached to at least even with a line extending straight up from the wall, the ball was not in the stands - it looks like it was coming down right on the wall shading much more to the field side than the stands.

I've seen lots of times where the home team fans get out of the way so their team can catch a foul ball in the stands, but block/deflect a ball to prevent the other team from catching the ball.

This guy is dead meat in Chicago, especially since the Cubs just lost game 7.

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #25 of 40
Saw this in a yahoo news article :

Quote:

In Florida, Gov. Jeb Bush said an offer of asylum to Bartman might be a good idea, and an oceanfront retreat in Pompano Beach offered him a free three-month stay if he needed to get out of Chicago.

that's rich.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 40
I think maybe all you Cubs fans need to get a dose of reality and start blaming your team for choking in a big way. The guy got in the way of one catch. The Marlins scored EIGHT runs, do the math. The Cubs had the Marlins on the ropes and blew it.
Who are you guys going to blame for last night? The best team one. Go Marlins!! Go Yankees!!

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
Pure genius grinch! I havn't had a laughed like that in a long time, but I doubt if any Cub's fan's are laughing though.

i cannot take credit for that masterpiece of humor, though i may really like to. i didn't make it, just posted the link i found to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back