"You have sent your daily allotment of 2 messages"
Sep 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #77 of 107

Quote:
As a new member, I concur...the thresholds would be nice to know.

It's very frustrating but is what it is.  I'm new to this entire headphone thing and have been reading, reading and more reading on this site then get ready to buy something only to hit a PM limit wall.

Eh, I'll cope however.

Thanks for sharing that.  I've given up hope that anyone on the admin team is willing to help at all with this.

Quote:
Actually, it looks to count both sent and received PM's against your quota...

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #78 of 107
I really find this policy quite annoying.  I think it's great that this is a vibrant headphone community and all, and I don't begrudge anyone wanting to talk about headphones all day long and I do lurk here when I need wisdom (e.g., the right kind of in-ear phones to buy for flying), but I work all day and a lot of nights and am frankly not knowledgeable enough to comment helpfully here on technical subjects. (I know much more about music than musical equipment.)  At any rate, I am interested in buying stuff, spreading my money to members.  It seems there is a better way to do this than limiting people to two messages....  

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #79 of 107
I am also having this problem!

I really want to buy something from another member but cannot message them. Had it given me adequate warning that I would only be allowed to send 1 message then I would have made better use of it! 

I havent even sent 2 messages /:

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #81 of 107
So...  I'm a new member here.  I get that this isn't intended to be primarily a marketplace to buy/sell stuff.  However, does it not make some sense that A) I joined because I've recently gotten quite interested in hi-fi headphone gear, and B) as a result of (A), there is a chance that I might be interested in upgrading my gear and ideally coming to a trusted source like Head-Fi to seek out opportunities to do so?  I understand the need to control spam and other illicit communications, but 2 PMs every 24 hours is just silly.  I'm trying to inquire - honestly and with genuine interest - about a DAC for sale, but I can't because I sent a couple PMs with 24 hours.  Seems a bit extreme to say the least.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #82 of 107

Quote:
So...  I'm a new member here.  I get that this isn't intended to be primarily a marketplace to buy/sell stuff.  However, does it not make some sense that A) I joined because I've recently gotten quite interested in hi-fi headphone gear, and B) as a result of (A), there is a chance that I might be interested in upgrading my gear and ideally coming to a trusted source like Head-Fi to seek out opportunities to do so?  I understand the need to control spam and other illicit communications, but 2 PMs every 24 hours is just silly.  I'm trying to inquire - honestly and with genuine interest - about a DAC for sale, but I can't because I sent a couple PMs with 24 hours.  Seems a bit extreme to say the least.

Post more on the forums and I think that will ease your restrictions. I don't recall having these problems but I also have more posts.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #84 of 107

Quote:
SimonF, how about starting a thread or asking in an existing thread?
When it comes to asking questions about gear and equipment, I like to see those questions put out to the public. You'll get more responses and the answers might help a number of people.

Quote:
frustrated!! Can not even finish the trade process. What is the reason for such annoying thing? anti-spam? just block user is good enough. Save bandwidth of server? OMG!!!

anti-spam bro.

Due to the fact of people being able to register very easily and then mass spamming.

Thus if you were a bot, then you could spam the forums, and annoy a LOT of people.
Maybe a suggestion then:

Why not add that "prove your human" thing, ie. instead of having a 2PM cap, have it that when ur under a certain number of posts, instead of having a cap, have a box that comes up, to prevent spammers/bots - this way everyone can PM and not spam.

Win-win?
Has this ever been considered :D?

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #87 of 107
Quote:
Ridiculous. Long-time lurker using the site for advice, and am forced to buy from other sources instead of trustworthy Head-fi'ers.

Why not contact Currawong and ask him to lift the restriction from you since you have been a longtime member. The idea of the restriction is to prevent people from exploiting headfi just for selling gear and not contributing.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #88 of 107
extremely frustrated with the 2 PM limit.  I'm just getting into this hobby and am trying to complete a purchase.  With the 2 PM limit, I'm afraid that I won't be able to accept the counter-offer before the seller agrees to another offer.  please consider this post a plea that the site moderators reconsider this policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back