"You have sent your daily allotment of 2 messages"
Oct 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

element51

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i was just wondering if there is a certain number of posts i need to make in order to go past my "You have sent your daily allotment of 2 messages" error message, or if there is anything else i needed to do.

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 107
I agree, the 2 pm limit is very frustrating, especially when there are many items in the Sale forums that are of interest. I'm surprised that the 'sellers' don't complain as it DOES limit possible sales to interested parties. The FAQ lacks even a hint as to how one can resolve the problem or how to achieve a larger limit.

deadhorse.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 107
Quote:
This +1000. I understand the No-Spam idea, but why limit me in responding to a seller?

Because how can the system know you are inquiring abut buying things in your PM, and not trying to sell/advertise something?
After you get bombarded with spamy PMs from members signing up to do exactly that, send spam, you learn to appreciate this "feature".

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 107
I do appreciate this feature.

But should not the site at least explain how to get past this (or eventually how this resolves itself)?

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 107
agree with people here.

2 is fairly limiting.  for me as a buyer, that one day may mean the lost of an item i could have purchased.

even 5-10 pm's allotted daily would be good.  its good enough to deal with while preventing from mass PM's. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 107
So how do we bypass this or at what point will it get resolved?
I'm a new user and am interested in some headphones but can't contact the seller due to the PM limit  =/

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 107

Quote:
So how do we bypass this or at what point will it get resolved?
I'm a new user and am interested in some headphones but can't contact the seller due to the PM limit  =/

What I did was to send the seller a PM and told him/she to reply to my email. Though you can still just contact two sellers a day, given the 2 PMs per day restriction.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 107
Notable in the explanations of limiting new members PMing in this manner is the avoidance of addressing the DISTINCT advantage given to long time members over newer ones. The fact still remains that 'established' members have the ability to respond to sales offers over those members who have used thier 2 PM allotment 
It seems that the 'rational' for disadvantaging newer members purchasing ability is couched in providing 'Spam Prevention' for ALL members.

A very simple solution to this 'problem' and creating a 'level playing field' for ALL is to either require or request those that wish to offer an item for sale (a much smaller population than those with under 1000 'points') to include an email contact address.

With the proliferation of free email address availability, it is a much more minor inconvenience to establish a temporary address. To require those that will gain from the sale to comply with a VOLUNTARY requirement as opposed to the existing MANDATORY disadvantage imposed on newer members. If this is published within the rules applicable to SALES LISTINGS and it explains that the  voluntary listing of an email address will INCREASE the potential market of the seller (inclusion of newer members ability to buy) then the SELLER would be the one to decide if they wish to LIMIT that subclass of new users or to advantage the long time members and forum administrators (who can be perceived as creating the advantage for themselves).

In short, the PM restriction can still remain in force and sellers can be notified that If they want to sell here they can deal with spam as a cost of the sale. OR they can can explicitly exclude a group of new members. it's up to THEM .. provide an email address (even a temporary one)  or just rely on the PM system and loose some potential buyers. This way the 'establishment' somewhat levels the playing field for new member participation and leaves it up to the seller to define their own market penetration.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 107
This is to prevent scammers. In order to do so, some potential buyers are blocked, yes.
Frequent sellers here should weigh-in. I cannot speak for everyone but there is a portion of the sellers who do not want to sell to low-post count members due to fear, one kind or another. I myself is one of them. After sixteen bumps on one item, one guy contacted me saying "I would like to buy". One post. Firewall automatically kicks in even though that item has been hanging up there for some time.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 107
Head-fi is not a market place as it's primary objective. If this is why you are here you are likely in the wrong place. Head-fi is a place for people that are interested in becoming a member of a vibraint community dedicated to the discussion of the hobby of listening to music through headphones.

So in short join in the discussions be active and learn and share information. If your sole intent is to send PMs to sellers then use your 2 pm allotment carefully. I for one like to sell to people I know here on head-fi if I want to just sell somthing to a random stranger then ebay is where I go.

I look forward to all in this thread becoming active members of this community

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 107
Hello.

I'm not a scammer and not a spammer, but I have more than two questions to the user ljockerl about his Multi-review and his Brainwavz B2 review. I'm not interest in the market place because I'm from South America but if I need to share some information to get more than two PM's per day, I'll do it.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 107
SimonF, how about starting a thread or asking in an existing thread?

When it comes to asking questions about gear and equipment, I like to see those questions put out to the public. You'll get more responses and the answers might help a number of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back