You guys cost me money!
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

doodle cakes

New Head-Fier
I was originally planning on just getting a mid range Turtle Beach headset for around $100-150 for gaming on my xbox.

Buuuut, once I started researching a bit more and stumbled across head-fi I was introduced to a whole new world of headphones.

So $300 dollars later I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598's in the mail (suggested retail is $380 in Canada), and a $5 clip on mic for gaming. I will look into getting an Astro mixamp maybe once I see how these preform.

I just wanted to say thanks in advance as I'm sure these will be amazing even though I went 3x's over what I wanted to spend.

I'm just hoping now I don't get hooked as this seems like it would be an expensive hobby.

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 18
LOL same story.

I had a budget of 300 dollars at start so I purchased a HD 598.. Thought anything over 500 was too much!.

After discovering Headfi, I was so surprised that there was so much for headphones (did not know there was such thing as a amp for headphones!)

NEK MINUTE.. I spent over 3000. (in the span of 6 months)

This is robbery!

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 18
headphones are relatively cheap compared to many other hobbies, like cars.
here: $20000
there:$200000

cameras are pretty expensive too

edit
me: ~300

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Woo tried them out last night.  Pretty cool.  Played mw3, listened to ipod and watched a movie on my laptop. 

For my xbox and tv, I have them plugged into my average pioneer receiver.  Does something like the astro mixamp really offer that much improvement?

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 18
Once you are into Head-fi, enter at your own risk. 
wink.gif

I have spent more than 2k on headphones and gear. Still have a long way to go. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
After spending copious amounts of time here, it doesn't really get to me anymore in all honesty.

Indeed, I build Computers as a Hobby and do AudioPhile... so my wallet is currently in Zombie Status :x
Quote:
If you are going through hell, keep going. - Churchill

+1
Quote:
Its quite easy to stop the cancer of buying, you just gota learn how

Yeap it's called going Broke :D... nah jk what I've done [and do] is I like to reaserach and buy in Tiers. Meaning I find what I want and I usually start in the lower end [like my Tier 1 Portable Rig] then I save up to buy and [I'll make adjusts ments as I get the money too] then I make the purchase. From that Point I start reseraching into Tier 2 [which I've completed today] and then Save up for that [more like w8ing for me an T2 honestly]

I did the same thing with PC build, I planned what to buy within a budget and then got it! But... that might change when I get a job and start having a bigger budget to play with ;3 [let's hope not]

But I've dropped like $1800 between Computers and Head Phone gear! [I talk Pc with my buds here... Overclock.net guys r kinda mean >.> but the site is nice] 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I did the same thing with PC build, I planned what to buy within a budget and then got it! But... that might change when I get a job and start having a bigger budget to play with ;3 [let's hope not]

But I've dropped like $1800 between Computers and Head Phone gear! [I talk Pc with my buds here... Overclock.net guys r kinda mean >.> but the site is nice] 

Come to Bit-tech. We're all flowers, rainbows and sunshine there!

I'm in the same position as you, computers and audio. I'm just glad I'm not a mech keyboard hoarder as well, one will do...for now.

Some of it's just impulsive as well, like my AT A700X's that I got in a duty free or the water loop in my PC which is purely for the pretties.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Come to Bit-tech. We're all flowers, rainbows and sunshine there!

I'm in the same position as you, computers and audio. I'm just glad I'm not a mech keyboard hoarder as well, one will do...for now.

Some of it's just impulsive as well, like my AT A700X's that I got in a duty free or the water loop in my PC which is purely for the pretties.

I'll have to check you guys out

And yes thankfully I don't care for 20 different Keyboards! I don't hoard much of anything atm tbh

But I feel you on the impulsive! I got my keyboard and Mouse out of Impulse ($200 for both and a Mouse Pad [which I also enjoy :3]) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back