You guys (AND ESPECIALLY JUDE!!) have to read this!
Aug 21, 2001 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Well someone on the "other" forum (no not headwize!) that I frequent has posted this little gem!

It was too good to remain there so with thanks to that other person click on this here link and prepare to be amazed
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001Jun12.html

Aug 21, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 51
Quote:

You guys (AND ESPECIALLY JUDE!!) have to read this!

Me? Are you kidding? That cat's rig makes mine look simply bargain basement!

There was a big discussion about this article at Audio Asylum when it first came out.

One part that stands out:

Quote:

"Never married and without children, he lives alone...."

No big surprise there! My wife just spent my Equi=Tech balanced power transformer/regulator and Cosmic budgets (and then some) on a new couch!
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 51
As soon as I get a decent PCDP.....I'm DONE! Not like that sucker...well, as soon as I get a decent PCDP and DAC....and good cables......and better headphones.......upgrade DAC and source.....crap....I AM that sucker.....
rolleyes.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 51
Holy cow!

That bloke is probably stone deaf to any frequencies above 3khz at the age of 71... he could've just bought a huge sub-woofer and sat on it, he'd probably still be hearing the same quality at about $139,000 less...

Hmm, I wonder if i claim to be his illegitimate love child... maybe i can lay a stake to that system as inheritance
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

My wife just spent my Equi=Tech balanced
power transformer/regulator and Cosmic budgets (and then some)on a new couch!

Now that's just silly. What was she thinking? LOL!, Oh, but if you did not have your wife, music would not matter, now would it?

Aug 21, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

No big surprise there! My wife just spent my Equi=Tech balanced power transformer/regulator and Cosmic budgets (and then some) on a new couch!
wink.gif

ah you must be really upset
mad.gif
I mean whats wrong with the floor? perfectly acceptable!
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 51
Hey Jude, the article even has the next recommendation for you, as you seem to be in the power supply mode lately:

"The next thing to do is put the sandboxes under the two power supplies back there," he says earnestly. "I've been told by people who've done it that it's really quite a nice improvement."

Aug 21, 2001 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
"The next thing to do is put the sandboxes under the two power supplies back there," he says earnestly. "I've been told by people who've done it that it's really quite a nice improvement."

Oh, man.... I can't believe that anyone would even....

......hmmmm......what kind of sand do you suppose?
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Oh, man.... I can't believe that anyone would even....

......hmmmm......what kind of sand do you suppose?
tongue.gif

Dont forget you have to put quantites of the sand on baking trays and then put them in the oven to cook until they are complely dry, apparantly damp sound affects the sound to a noticable degree.........
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 51
At least this suggestion would not cost you much at all... unless, of course, you want genuine virgin desert sand from, say, western Sahara, sifted through carefully selected pattern of sieves (patent pending) and coated with special distortion-free dampening substance (4 chemical patents pending). The box itself should be from a decent material, say titanium or rhodium. I've also heard that 20/80 mix of gold granules and small diamonds instead of sand works even better and extends the dampening effect of the box well into the ultrasound range.

Aug 21, 2001 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 51
IIRC it was me that posted it (but my ego could be distorting my memory).

Yes, I'm still on vacation, I just found a public terminal (I *love* CoyoteNet, $1 CAN for 10min...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back