You don't even need the headphone amp in STX!
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
For ****s n giggles I just tried running my ESW10JPN out of the RCA outs (with the splitter that came with it. Not sure if its worth upgrading) and I'm able to achieve same levels I do when I use the HP out. What?

In any case.. try it out. I'm still deciding if I can tell a difference. Seems to have better detail right off the bat. And now I can take full advantage of being able to change the LM4562 in the path.

I'll test the D2000's and 225's out if it as well.

Probably not loud enough for some high z Beyer's and Senns though

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 11
You should never run headphones directly from line-level signal, usually line level is low-current at a steady 1V-2V and a lot of times the output stage isn't designed to drive low impedance loads at which point it can easily misbehave (oscillate, overheat, burn, send a few volts down the line, that kind of thing)
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 11
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh totally, just like who needs Pirelli tires when you have already have the stock ones on Honda Civic!

haha.. that's good one...

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Oh totally, just like who needs Pirelli tires when you have already have the stock ones on Honda Civic!

dude who would put Pirelli tires on a Civic? iirc Rosso's are like a few grand, I can find a beater Civic cheaper than that
tongue.gif

then again....there are people who put 28" rims on Yukon's and F-150's, so I guess its not that much of a strech

@ the "should never run on line-out" comment, I'm sorta confused with your point, do you mean never feed them from equipment line outs (for example the analog output of my CDP or LDP), or never feed them from audio cards either? (just trying to clarify on what you're saying, I get the point you're making, but sorta unsure how to take it, since I know most audio cards take the ~2Vrms from their D/A drivers and feed it into opamps, and can drive "basic" hps)

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Most cards have opamp output which shouldn't cause problems (though may certainly sound like crap), while certain DACs use discrete or tube output stages which really cannot handle low impedance loads, that's where you should worry.

The damage can occur to both, but it's more likely the headphones.

Basic consumer equipment (like sound cards) are made "idiot-proof", so they do try to make things as safe as possible when people do things like this, professional gear is not always so.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Basic consumer equipment (like sound cards) are made "idiot-proof", so they do try to make things as safe as possible when people do things like this, professional gear is not always so.

thats basically what I was asking for clarification of, thanks

and yes, I realize it can sound like crap feeding a soundcard into hp's, was just making sure I was on the same page in terms of understanding (else I have to go re-read everything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back