You convinced me-- Now where to get some HD580s?
Oct 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Amras

New Head-Fier
This is one of the best forums I've seen-knowledgable, passionate, not much flaming- Very, very cool- Thanks for the help.

So where to find a pair? I've looked around alot and there doesn't seem to be anyone carrying them anymore. So...

Used- Are there any good spots to look, other than the For Sale thread and Ebay? How much should I pay?

New- See this link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330179391554 Any other place online that I missed?

I tend to be reluctant to buy used- Is the new one worth the difference?

Thanks-
Russ

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 13
That isn't a bad price considering if you buy used, you may need to replace the ear pads which are $40. A used HD580 will go for anywhere between $125 - $150 on the forums here. I made the mistake of buying a used HD580 from Amazon Marketplace that the seller said had hardly any head time. When I got them, the band was stretched out (which is great for me because I have a big head) and the pads were very old. I only paid $130 for them, but after buying new cushions, I'm up to $170.

With a new Beyer headband, new HD600 grills, new earpads, and new cable, they are pretty much brand new.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 13
I'd be tempted to get them e-bay ones... I payed $150 2nd hand on here (but I did get a HD650 cable), so for a few extra bucks you may as well buy new.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 13
It's funny, in the months just before they were discontinued, when HD580 and K501 could be found for $99, many scoffed at them and spent much more for the next models up. Now people would be ecstatic to find such low prices.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny, in the months just before they were discontinued, when HD580 and K501 could be found for $99, many scoffed at them and spent much more for the next models up. Now people would be ecstatic to find such low prices.

It's funny you said that. While I was looking through old threads from earlier this year it seemed like you could get them easily for $100-$130 shipped. This is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet- I was hoping I could find it closer to that mark.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 13
I am once again considering the sale of an extra pair that I have. ( I have two pair.) I have yet to determine the price. The pair that I have has, without a doubt, seen very little head time. I won't want them back so there will be full disclosure. I can send pics.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Why don`t you take an opportunity of getting the 600`s ?
Pretty much the same, drivers, and grills are better, plus cable and so on...

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don`t you take an opportunity of getting the 600`s ?
Pretty much the same, drivers, and grills are better, plus cable and so on...

Actually, it's the same cable, and the same drivers except matched to 0.5db instead of to 1db (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong with that figure). The usually thrown around figure for the threshold of audibility is 3db.

A 580 with the 600 grill for all intents and purposes is a 600 if we're talking about acoustics.

The 650, otoh, is a completely different beast.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny you said that. While I was looking through old threads from earlier this year it seemed like you could get them easily for $100-$130 shipped. This is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet- I was hoping I could find it closer to that mark.

Sadly, those prices were artificially low, the result of the companies trying to eliminate all remaining stock so they wouldn't cut into sales of the new series. Your best bet to get that kind of price now is on the for sale forum here, from someone who bought when they were cheap and prefers not to make a profit.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 13
I think I'll pull the trigger on the EBay one. For a few bucks more I'll get a brand new one, the warranty and not have to worry about someone else's stanky head smell
wink.gif

Thanks again guys.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got both for the $99 deal. It was a good time to get into head-fi. Lucky me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back