You Can't Beat a Melos
Apr 4, 2003 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been through a ****load of amps. This Melos just sounds good. And I believe it will always be my favorite. If you see on buy it! I'm running a pair of Mullards right now, but tubes really don't change the sound that much with this am. For cans I have the HD600/Cardas. This pairing is hard to beat. I prefer to my old MG Head and RKV I've heard. Too bad this preamp wasn't still in production. (hint)
cool.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 26
For those of you who don't know, lextek has THE Melos - the original, Max-beating from the Dallas head-fi meet of years ago, originally owned by the Flumpus, then by me. Of all the SHA-1s out there, it's the best.

Apr 4, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Of all the SHA-1s out there, it's the best.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Well, maybe my Melos's weren't blessed by the spirit of Flumpus
rolleyes.gif
, but I have to agree, they're damn fine amps all up and down the Melos line.

They are a good value because they are good with any can, any impedence. I remember one Member saying he even liked the sound of the K1000 out of the Melos. You know you're going to be swapping phones on your quest, why not get an amp that will do them all well? The Melos will tell you whether that phone is any good or not. The tube/ss design is a nice compromise between the two extremes of tube vs. ss.

Mark

Apr 4, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 26
I agree 100% The Melos plays nice with all cans I've tried. Even my Ety 4P's. Don't know about the K1000s, doubt it. Save those for the RKV. Blessed by Flumpus, maybe. I thought I saw a slight glow when it was turned off....
cool.gif
Maybe a halo?

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 26
Prediction: Lextek sells off mg head.

Listens to melos, wonders just how that mg head would sound.

Buys his, what would it be? FOURTH MG Head?

biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 26
No more Heads in the house of Lextek. I've had the Melos for a while now. Last Head I heard was Grancasa. One of the best amps I've ever heard. Period. I'll probaly buy another one to have, they look so cool and sound great. The Mark II of course. Still number two to my Melos.....
rolleyes.gif

p.s. it might actually be number 5.

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 26
I to love the Melos it has been my favorite amp to of all the amps I have listened too. Also I totally agree that the HD600/Melos combo is awesome.

Quote:

Don't know about the K1000s, doubt it.

I ran the K1000's off the Melos for a week and the sound was pretty good. I imagine the RKV or something else would make a better pairing, but the Melos did a good job of driving the K1000.

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
For those of you who don't know, lextek has THE Melos - the original, Max-beating from the Dallas head-fi meet of years ago, originally owned by the Flumpus, then by me.

/me sits back, grinning like an idiot to himself.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 26
I somehow managed to obtain from Vka the Melos that belonged to geom_tol long before Flumpie got his. Poor g_t must have had the amp in the FS/FT forum for months before Vka took it off his hands. I visited Vka's apartment and had a listen and fell in love -- and Vka was cool enough to let me take it home with me as long as I reimbursed his costs! I'm thankful to this day that he preferred his Holmes-Powell amp.
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Don't know about the K1000s, doubt it.

Word is that a Carlos Mega-modded Maestrobator works just fine. Not sure about the stock SHA-1.

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 26
Word is that Carlos Modded-Melos are pretty well the **** when it comes to dynamic amps. Glad mine is on its way
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 26
Been through two - an early SHA-1 and now a Maestro.

Paired with HD600/Equinox... yummy.

Have really been thinking about having Carlo do the voodoo he do, but... I like it so much I don't think I could part with it for the upgrade duration.

Melos makes the HD600 sound "unveiled"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back