You can only listen to one musical group for the rest of your life. Who would it be?
Jul 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #61 of 77
Does John Coltrane count? Like, he's not a 'band' but he's an artist. If he counts, I'd choose to listen to him for the rest of my life. Preferably the earlier stuff with PC on bass.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #63 of 77
Quote:
Does John Coltrane count? Like, he's not a 'band' but he's an artist. If he counts, I'd choose to listen to him for the rest of my life. Preferably the earlier stuff with PC on bass.

Oh, well, if you are going to go *there* then I might throw in Miles Davis - or BOTH John Coltrane & Miles Davis:

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

He sure does!
Good choice!
Quote:

Oh, well, if you are going to go *there* then I might throw in Miles Davis - or BOTH John Coltrane & Miles Davis:

How about the Miles Davis Band with Tony, Ron, Herbie and Wayne?
Every performance would be different.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #66 of 77
There is no doubt in my mind that I would choose Sigur Rós. I was never into ambient music, into post-rock, into any of Icenland's music scene, and I hadn't heard of them until one day two years ago Pandora started playing "Hoppípolla". It captivated me so much that within two weeks I owned all of their albums, and when the newest one (Valtari) came out a few months ago I arranged with my local record store to buy it days before the official release. They are just so ambient and quiet, yet then so involving and climactic, and the change just happens without you even realizing it until you're there. I never thought I would have a favorite band, but Sigur Rós has transformed me in ways I literally can't explain. I would quit a job to see this band live (and I have quit a job to see them live), and I truly believe they are masters of music. I've included two songs to get a quick sample of some of their work, but you have to hear much more to do their work justice.

One of my personal favorites, off of the album "( )" (it's most commonly referred to as the untitled album), is "Untitled #8 (Popplagið, or the Pop Song)":

Here's one from Valtari, entitled "Varúð":

If you do look them up, try to avoid the album "Von", which was their initial release and doesn't sound much like their style afterwards.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #68 of 77
Quote:
What was the job you quit to go see them?

I was a mechanic at a corporate-owned car repair place, and nobody up in management wanted anyone to have days off at the time. It worked out for the best, though, because soon I was restoring some of my dream cars at the specialty shop I worked at afterwards.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #70 of 77
The hard part about the choice is do you pick your favorite band, or do you pick the band you like with the largest collection?

Still, it would be Kamelot for me, I'm fairly certain.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #72 of 77
The band represented in my avatar, Porcupine Tree. Funny how much difference there is in our enjoyment (or not) of music. I literally wouldn't go across the street to listen to a free concert by Sigur Ros if I could be front row, center. In fact, I'd probably call the police with a noise complaint. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back